Why Are You Not On Steam?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Country Gravy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

Why is this game not be available on Steam yet? If we are having an official "launch" and new players are the main focus right now, Steam is a no-brainer. People could buy MC with their Steam wallet. An "Official Launch MC Sale" with 10% off or some sort of starter pack that includes MC and mech bays and/or some non-hero/champion mechs would probably drum up a lot of cash. The Phoenix and Saber packages could also be available. I guess the hurdle is probably linking the player's steam account to their in-game account, but this could be a huge boon to the game if implemented and a lot of other F2P games are available on Steam. There was talk of this toward the beginning of open beta, I think, but like many other great ideas for this game, it seems t o have gone by the wayside or been put on the back burner.

#2 SpankN

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 98 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

I can only assume they don't want Steam getting any cut of the packs / MC they'd sell. Personally I'd really love to see it come to Steam as that's where I have all of my games. It would be one more way of getting more eyes on the game.

#3 Tactcom

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostCountry Gravy, on 08 September 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

Why is this game not be available on Steam yet?

Exactly.

View PostSpankN, on 08 September 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

I can only assume they don't want Steam getting any cut of the packs / MC they'd sell. Personally I'd really love to see it come to Steam as that's where I have all of my games. It would be one more way of getting more eyes on the game.

I've heard steam takes a 30% cut of all sales generated through it, which would be somewhat of a loss, but then PGI can offer some basic "starting packages", but not sell "MC" directly through steam; perfect example of this would be Warthunder and Star conflict. The loss of 30% of initial sales through steam is more than paid back in kind through an increase in product visibility, players and subsequent purchases, made through the website and or steam (like you said).

What does it cost PGI?
- 30% Of revenue from sales through steam
- Time spent integrating with steam, its UI, achievements and trading cards.

What does PGI gain?
- Better product visibility
- More players
- More purchases

Given the ever growing free to play market, the longer PGI hesitate the more they actually lose in the long term. However if PGI thinks that MWO is not up to the standard expected from steam users, then by all means i can empathise with why they are holding back.

But to not have a presence on the steam store would be incredibly short sighted.

Edited by Tactcom, 12 September 2013 - 04:28 AM.

#4 Jestun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

I like steam as a distribution system. And being on Steam does not mean that you are forced to have Steam doing all the payment processing.

However it is not something to rush into. The game should be in a state where access to a large gaming community is a good thing. otherwise it's just another forum, this time joated in Steam, that will be full of negativity.

#5 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

View PostJestun, on 12 September 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

I like steam as a distribution system. And being on Steam does not mean that you are forced to have Steam doing all the payment processing.

However it is not something to rush into. The game should be in a state where access to a large gaming community is a good thing. otherwise it's just another forum, this time joated in Steam, that will be full of negativity.

You're talking about the steam forums,that place is a cess pool of negativity. This game could be everything we hoped it would be and then some but the MWO forum on steam would still have at least five "this game sucks" threads,

Edited by Fabe, 12 September 2013 - 05:21 AM.

#6 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostFabe, on 12 September 2013 - 05:20 AM, said:

You're talking about the steam forums,that place is a cess pool of negativity. This game could be everything we hoped it would be and then some but the MWO forum on steam would still have at least five "this game sucks" threads,

Of course it will, and no game is ever universally liked.

That's not an excuse to put a half-assed game on there.

It would get a considerably better reception when it has UI 2.0, CW, lobbies, and the other basic features which will not be present at launch.

Adding it to Steam will get a lot of people to try it. Whether they stay depends on the game itself. I think it would be better to add the complete game to Steam rather than the current shell. Because people will judge it as soon as it's on there.

#7 Country Gravy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

Needs a complete tutorial, as well. If you unleash it to the masses of Steamtards, you need to have some serious hand holding to get them started.

#8 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

Because it's still in Beta

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users