Which Catapult Makes The Best Lrm Support Mech?

64 replies to this topic

#21 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

This is my A1 build

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b980b4a5b149c26

the 4 LRM 5s on chain fire allow me to keep up a constant stream of missiles and the two SRM 4s ensure that I am not completely defenseless.

#22 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:08 AM

Also remember, that the A1 has absolutely no energy hardpoint. This means you are defenseless against ECM. I haven't tried, if you can overcome that with NARC, but I doubt it. Hence I think the A1 is a bit gimmicky if you want to play the LRM support role to the full.

#23 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:30 AM

View PostAutobot9000, on 12 September 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

Also remember, that the A1 has absolutely no energy hardpoint. This means you are defenseless against ECM.

No, that means you do what I do in my C4: hug the DDC. Contrary to popular belief, the LRM mech can work using in-your-face tactics. SSRM8 actually hurts at the moment. Use your Jump Jets, Luke.

Edited by Modo44, 12 September 2013 - 02:30 AM.

#24 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostModo44, on 12 September 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

No, that means you do what I do in my C4: hug the DDC. Contrary to popular belief, the LRM mech can work using in-your-face tactics. SSRM8 actually hurts at the moment. Use your Jump Jets, Luke.

Explain how "hugging the D-DC" helps you? In pug games people more often than not are not listening. So if you're blocked by enemy ECM, you still can not target enemy mechs. To make it worse: Your CT is a huge glaring target. So being part of the first line will get your Catapult destroyed in no time - guaranteed.

#25 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

BAP, which all LRM builds have as a matter of course, counters ECM up close. Try jumping and turning when shot at, see how much damage does not end up on the CT. Better yet, use cover when approaching targets. You should not simply walk up to a DDC and stand there, but given this is not the noobie forum, I though that part was obvious. (Yes, I have done this. Again -- obviously -- it is situational, but BAP can be used like that.)

#26 Muffinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

My lurm boat is my C4 - I run it as XL280 2xlrm15 2xlrm10 1xtag 1xML to fend of lights. Works pretty well but it doesn't do much besides lurm :lol:

#27 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

I use these builds :

A1 close to the real money version
C1 my only lrm20 boat
C4 little faster than the others

I don't use tag normally, rely on the beagle instead. Tag requires direct los, and I try to run hull down when I got to do direct los firing.

I pretty much maxed most armor, added an ams and tweaked them to suit me. I know most slap bigger engines in them, but I'd rather put that tonnage to other uses on the support mech I'm piloting

#28 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostModo44, on 12 September 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

BAP, which all LRM builds have as a matter of course, counters ECM up close. Try jumping and turning when shot at, see how much damage does not end up on the CT. Better yet, use cover when approaching targets. You should not simply walk up to a DDC and stand there, but given this is not the noobie forum, I though that part was obvious. (Yes, I have done this. Again -- obviously -- it is situational, but BAP can be used like that.)

Now this post really makes you lose all credibility. You just proved, that you were theory crafting even in a poor way.

BAP counters the nearest ECM within 150m. Now LRMs have a minimum range of 180m, which means it is absolutely worthless for targeting a mech, that is shielded by ECM. BAP will coutner the spider, that puts ECM on your own mech, but it's no help at all for targeting mechs for LRM fire. Please refrain from trying to take the **** out of people, if you don't have a clue just shut.

#29 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostAutobot9000, on 13 September 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Now this post really makes you lose all credibility. You just proved, that you were theory crafting even in a poor way.

BAP counters the nearest ECM within 150m. Now LRMs have a minimum range of 180m, which means it is absolutely worthless for targeting a mech, that is shielded by ECM. BAP will coutner the spider, that puts ECM on your own mech, but it's no help at all for targeting mechs for LRM fire. Please refrain from trying to take the **** out of people, if you don't have a clue just shut.

Let me intervene before you two get into it too much. I think what happened here was a communication error. The BAP-containing A1 mentioned that will counter ECM has 4 SSRM2s. That's right. Weapons that do damage within 150m, that are countered by ECM, and that BAP will allow you to use despite being ECM jammed.

ALSO, something to note is that if you can get within 150m of say, an ECM Atlas, you can counter the ECM, which means your LRMs now work. Mind you they won't do anything against that ECM Atlas, but you can still launch them at his friends which are over 180m away. You're still unable to (as opposed to with TAG) use LRMs against enemies covered by ECM, but one ECM mech jamming you won't shut you down the same way.

That is all.

Edited by DodgerH2O, 13 September 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#30 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

BAP on all mine mean I can lock while using the short range backups to my lrms even under the range of my lrms

Why: so I can get support fire from others! My mech isn't the only one with lrms! Plus it highlights them for others to lock on and hammer with whatever (it even helps some gunnery mechs to have a glowing target lock to use for aiming)

#31 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostAutobot9000, on 13 September 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

BAP counters the nearest ECM within 150m.

And all of my Catapult builds have support weapons that work fine within that range. Try reading the earlier posts before jumping in with dumb assumptions.

#32 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

No love for the C4?

I like the C4 with 2 LRM15+Art, 2 SSRM2s, 1 ML, 1 Tag, a Beagle, 1 ton of SRM ammo, an XL300, 1-2 extra HS, and the rest of it LRM ammo (Usually 6-7 tons). It's not helpless if caught alone, and tag helps the streaks lock. It's also very mobile.

Admittedly I'd rather run with an XL255, but I don't have one yet.

Edited by Bront, 15 September 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#33 Shifty Eyes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

I just bought a C4, armed it with 2x LRM20, 2x SSRM2, 2x ML, BAP, 1x JJ, XL280 engine.

If I can get positioning right, I can really rack up the damage. I've never had problems with lights as the SSRM's usually scare them off or they notice their ECM is countered and they run away.

When I get into BAD positioning or make stupid maneuvering mistakes, I get ripped to shreds (for example, when I somehow end up on the front line as 5 enemy ballistic-heavy mechs crawl over a hill... damn those UAC's...)

For the most part I run lights and mediums, so I'm still learning good positioning habits with a slower mech.

The C1 was tempting for me, but I just really wanted to fling 40 missiles in one volley. Also, I don't know how much more effective more ML's would be, seeing as how the Catapult just has a terribly exposed frame for brawling and usually gets ripped to scrap metal pretty quickly in a close ranged fight anyway.

#34 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostShifty Eyes, on 16 September 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

I just bought a C4, armed it with 2x LRM20, 2x SSRM2, 2x ML, BAP, 1x JJ, XL280 engine.
Swap out 1 ML for TAG. While the ML is nice, bringing your own TAG is a huge advantage for piercing ECM, causing damage, and getting TAG bonuses for other mechs using missiles.

#35 Shaftronics

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

I recently made this and I'm loving the flexibility of roles that this build is capable of doing.

CPLT-C1

Sure, I might only have LRM 15's, though you can easily lose the Large Lasers, upgrade to LRM 20's and go with MLs as well.

SInce I have a TAG, I went ahead and chose to forgo the BAP, although as you can see, you can easily adapt the build into having both via removing the JJ's if you so please.

At the moment, I'm loving the fact that I still have a very decent punch with the Large Lasers (I do use the ERLLs at times if I feel that I need the extra range) and still don't really face heat issues unless its an impossibly hot map. Heat is easily managable by either chain-firing or just timing and making your shots count.

If you manage to get a target in a corridor or open ground environment in which you can pelt them with the LL's while raining the LRMs down on them, it just feels amazing.

#36 Roburn Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

My most effective C1 build:

300XL
2 x ALRM15
2 x Large Pulse Laser

Around the 180 - 300 meter range enemy mechs tend to melt. Just make sure you don't go rambo, stick with an assault mech.

#37 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

We don't want you standing at the edge of the map spamming LRMs as ''support''... we want you to be killing the enemy with the rest of us :) . So please take a more balanced build to the battlefield.

#38 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

lrm boats annoy me to no end. cause once anything gets in their face, they're useless and just cost the team a mech.

with that being said, go with any catapult that has more than just Missile Hardpoints.

#39 3urningChrome

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostBront, on 15 September 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

No love for the C4?

I like the C4 with 2 LRM15+Art, 2 SSRM2s, 1 ML, 1 Tag, a Beagle, 1 ton of SRM ammo, an XL300, 1-2 extra HS, and the rest of it LRM ammo (Usually 6-7 tons). It's not helpless if caught alone, and tag helps the streaks lock. It's also very mobile.

Admittedly I'd rather run with an XL255, but I don't have one yet.

This is my current favourite Mech. absolutely love it.

#40 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

Here's a riddle for you...

Q: What do I call a Catapult once I've shot off its ears...?

A: Mostly 'armless.

Edited by Appogee, 21 September 2013 - 01:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users