Which Catapult Makes The Best Lrm Support Mech?

64 replies to this topic

#41 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostModo44, on 10 September 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

don't try to be gimmicky.

Above all, this. Avoid "trick" loadouts like wasting your missile hardpoints on a bunch of LRM5s or SSRMs. Last night a "Streak Kitty" (4xssrm2) "jumped" me at point blank range. His streaks peppered me while my med lasers and srms cored him out. Later that night, I charged at a "FlashCat" that was chain-firing LRM5s. AMS chewed up his incoming while my "big boxes" tore him open. These builds may work on the inexperienced or under ideal circumstances, but for every success you will find a dozen failures. This includes "Hero" builds that sacrifice armor and close-in weapons to shoe-horn in as many LRMs as you can. If you want to volley LRM60, go with a heavier mech, like an Awesome or Stalker. LRM40 is about as high as I'd recommend trying to push it in a Cat. The more volleys you fire, the more ammo you go through. The more LRMs and ammo you carry, the less weapon alternatives you can field, and the less useful you will be in the end game once you're empty.

View PostAppogee, on 21 September 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

We don't want you standing at the edge of the map spamming LRMs as ''support''... we want you to be killing the enemy with the rest of us :) . So please take a more balanced build to the battlefield.

Agreed. If you're playing PUG, the first thing you need to do, whichever Cat you run, is add armor. The stock is nowhere near enough. Beyond the lights you will always have to face, you are going to have to understand that in the PUG, teamwork is not guaranteed, so you need to build a mech that can find and hold its own locks, and kill its own targets. You are going to take some hits, and the best way to rack up points is to deal damage all the way to the end. That means surviving. Someone mentioned MPLs because they range exactly at the LRMs minimum. This is exactly why I prefer straight mediums. If you build a fast enough mech, you can keep the enemy in the "sweet spot" at about 250m, then sh*t med lasers, srms, and LRMs all over them.

Unless you are building for a premade group, you will have to understand that you are not going to get to sit in the backfield and lob LRMs. Lights will come looking for you, and again, once you're LRM bins are empty you have to be able to contribute. Furthermore, once weight limits hit, MWO is going to change radically. All these assault/heavy "support" mechs are going to become canards. The heaviest mechs with the potential for the most armor will be most effective at brawling the "push." Cat is one of those mechs. Learn to LRM with your own locks and LOS (think of indirect support as a bonus-way to help your team, not your primary objective) and build a mech that is survivable enough and packs enough close firepower to skirmish well.

#42 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

I use this build on my Founder's Cat, its not the best build in the world but it works for me.

Iron's Founder's Cat

Things I keep in mind while running this build
  • It's not heat efficient if I'm firing everything at once
  • I have everything set on chain fire [since it fires either after the first weapon fires or when you click again]
  • 2 ER Large for shaving off enemy armor and staying at a range
  • 2 Mediums for if something gets close
  • LRMs work between 180 meters and 1000 meters
  • I dont fire LRMs at light mechs, nor do I constantly fire the LRMs
  • I have Jump Jets for bypassing terrain
  • It may be a heavy but its not a brawler, its a support mech

Edited by Iron Harlequin, 21 September 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#43 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:42 AM

The A1 is great...when it's great. and when its not, its awful.

what makes it great is with 2X15 lrms and 4 ssrms long range fire support is great and then if you get a light nipping at your heals, the ssrm guarantees you hit after hit after hit. something you just can't get with energy weapons.

what makes the build awful is when a light has ECM in disrupt. You're screwed as every weapon you have is now useless, and ECM equipped mechs can just stand there ate take you out and there isn't a thing you can do about it.

I'm not fan of plain srms so I haven't tried them on the A1.....yet.

I still love the build

#44 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:05 AM

View PostKilo 40, on 28 September 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

The A1 is great...when it's great. and when its not, its awful.

what makes it great is with 2X15 lrms and 4 ssrms long range fire support is great and then if you get a light nipping at your heals, the ssrm guarantees you hit after hit after hit. something you just can't get with energy weapons.

what makes the build awful is when a light has ECM in disrupt. You're screwed as every weapon you have is now useless, and ECM equipped mechs can just stand there ate take you out and there isn't a thing you can do about it.

I'm not fan of plain srms so I haven't tried them on the A1.....yet.

I still love the build

Stick a BAP in there and it will counteract a single ECM mech at 150m.

#45 Archangle82

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

CPTL-C4

im thinking in this direction, Just have enough money together to upgrade my first mech the C4 to an XL engine, think the 280 will be also good to use on medium mechs ...

ATM im running 2Mlas + 2LRM20. No Artemis no TAG only 6 Tons of ammo and no short range firepower makes me a sad panda ...

#46 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostAutobot9000, on 13 September 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Now this post really makes you lose all credibility. You just proved, that you were theory crafting even in a poor way.

BAP counters the nearest ECM within 150m. Now LRMs have a minimum range of 180m, which means it is absolutely worthless for targeting a mech, that is shielded by ECM. BAP will coutner the spider, that puts ECM on your own mech, but it's no help at all for targeting mechs for LRM fire. Please refrain from trying to take the **** out of people, if you don't have a clue just shut.

With enhanced sensor range (which you should have in any LRM boat) it's actully up to 250 at least (don't remember exact). Just killed a DDC atlas shooting both my lrms and streaks (with A1) staying around 200-250 meters from him.

I understand that the mechanics have changed a lot as time has passed and there's no database of current mechanics that I know of (there should be btw; you wiki people out there) so the mistake is understandable, but your attack against someone by providing false/outdated information is most hilarious.

Edit: So after some frustrating searching through the patch notes this is what I gather is the current system: BAP counters one ECM to 150m and advanced sensor range extends the normal allowed targeting distance from 180-200 to 180-250 (with double lock time). This means that with both you still can't target an ECM mech that is 150-180 meters from you. Good job DEVs on making the system logical and intuitive.

Edited by Marchant Consadine, 29 September 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#47 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostMarchant Consadine, on 29 September 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

With enhanced sensor range (which you should have in any LRM boat) it's actully up to 250 at least (don't remember exact). Just killed a DDC atlas shooting both my lrms and streaks (with A1) staying around 200-250 meters from him.

I understand that the mechanics have changed a lot as time has passed and there's no database of current mechanics that I know of (there should be btw; you wiki people out there) so the mistake is understandable, but your attack against someone by providing false/outdated information is most hilarious.

Ah that explains why I was able to do some nasty alphas on my A1 at 250m... nothing like a full lrm30 and ssrm8 alpha to the face to ruin a pilot's day

#48 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostMortVent, on 29 September 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Ah that explains why I was able to do some nasty alphas on my A1 at 250m... nothing like a full lrm30 and ssrm8 alpha to the face to ruin a pilot's day

That's why I love the A1.

#49 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

View PostKaijin, on 28 September 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

Stick a BAP in there and it will counteract a single ECM mech at 150m.

I do run with BAP in all my mechs, but it doesn't ALWAYS counter ECM. I'm not sure if it's the mode(as in it doesn't negate ECM when it's in "disrupt" mode, but will while ECM is in "counter mode") or if it will only counter 1 ecm at a time. so if there are two ECM equipped mechs within 180m(I think) BAP will only effect one of them, unless there is another friendly BAP equipped mech also within 180m.

#50 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

View PostMarchant Consadine, on 29 September 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

Edit: So after some frustrating searching through the patch notes this is what I gather is the current system: BAP counters one ECM to 150m and

well that answers my question then. It only counters one ECM.

which doesn't make any sense to me. 1 ECM effects ALL be it counter mode or disrupt, but BAP only counters one ECM no matter how many are in range? that doesn't make sense to me.

someone should bring that up in the next "ask the devs" thread.

#51 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:06 AM

View PostKilo 40, on 30 September 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

well that answers my question then. It only counters one ECM.

which doesn't make any sense to me. 1 ECM effects ALL be it counter mode or disrupt, but BAP only counters one ECM no matter how many are in range? that doesn't make sense to me.

someone should bring that up in the next "ask the devs" thread.

The BAP counter effect in MWO works just like the ECM counter effect in MWO. One ECM set to counter will counter one enemy ECM set to disrupt, but if there are two enemy ECMs, one cannot counter both. It would take two to counter two. So if there are two ECMs, it would take two BAPs in the proper range to counter with.

We've been asking the devs to fix ECM since they foisted it on us back in closed beta. It's someone's pet project. It's not going to happen.

#52 nferno6

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 31 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCape-Town

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

This is THE LRM suppression/support platform.
If you run LRM, do it proper.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d270a852dcaab98

#53 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

View Postnferno6, on 04 October 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

This is THE LRM suppression/support platform.
If you run LRM, do it proper.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d270a852dcaab98

This build is *****. If your target stays near his team mates and there are a couple of AMS around your missiles will be fully denied. Even with stalkers and their 6 tube-20launcher setups this is true. I hvae witnessed many times how 20-volleys out of 6-launchers get completely denied by AMS. Your build is a simple troll build to abuse the broken cockpit shake feature, not a build one can advise to others for being efficient.

#54 tib3r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostAutobot9000, on 04 October 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

This build is *****. If your target stays near his team mates and there are a couple of AMS around your missiles will be fully denied. Even with stalkers and their 6 tube-20launcher setups this is true. I hvae witnessed many times how 20-volleys out of 6-launchers get completely denied by AMS. Your build is a simple troll build to abuse the broken cockpit shake feature, not a build one can advise to others for being efficient.

The trolling the cockpit shake feature is the most annoying thing on earth, before then I never peeped about LRM boats.

#55 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

I saw a couple of builds with CASE in the side torsos and an XL engine. That is a waste of slot/weight. CASE will prevent all damage from leaking into your CENTER torso. Most likely, the side torso with the CASE installed is going to get destroyed in the process. If you have an XL engine in there, you just died. CASE is USELESS if you have an XL engine. Personnally, I prefer the C4 for LRMing. I carry 4x10s or 2x15s/2x5s and around 9-12 tons of ammo. I keep TAG and one Med laser. But the med laser is just to keep the guy occupied while I scurry back to my friends if need be. I steadily put up 600s in damage this way. I have also found that more than 2 jump jets is a waste of space and tonnage. There is no place I can't go (that I would want to anyway) that requires more than 2 jump jets. Any more is just superfluous. Use the weight and slots you saved from dropping the JJs down two and the CASE you don't need to add artemis or a few more tons of ammo. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...42ae311cdb7cffd or http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bade5c8ffd7afd6

Edited by MnDragon, 04 October 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#56 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

I don't run the CAT anymore for LRM support due to its low tonnage.

There seems to be two LRM styles that I see. One is the Boat where you fire off big salvos of 40-90 LRM's at once and the other is a small stream of LRM5 salvo's.

The Bigger the Salvo the more effective the damage is with AMS on almost everything now. The small stream of salvo's are for cockpit shake and forcing cover.

I will only use the LRM5 stream builds with fast chaser or long distance poking mechs. But a true Support boat tosses up the biggest number of missiles it can at once all match long IMO.

#57 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:19 PM

Thats how i whould do it i guess

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fa639f29fa71422

#58 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

i whould say...

Solo: C1
group: C4
premade: A1

Solo you might wanna put on some medium lasers for self defend since none is gonna help ya in a public game.

In a group of 4 you might have your team protecting you but ya might still be attacked cuz some blind ***** walking pass the enemy or just dont care bout the flanks so a couple of lasers might be useful still.

In a premade group of 12 you shouldnt have any problem as arty and should be able to give full fire support. what you need is alot of hetasinks and ammo then ya can chainfire LRMs nonstop :blink:

#59 RamataKhan

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostAppogee, on 21 September 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Here's a riddle for you...

Q: What do I call a Catapult once I've shot off its ears...?

A: Mostly 'armless.

That's not a riddle...

#60 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostRamataKhan, on 15 October 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

That's not a riddle...

Yes, it is a riddle...