Flood Lights On 'mechs

51 replies to this topic

Poll: Flood lights on 'Mechs (140 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support this suggestion? (Please read post before voting)

1. Yes (120 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. No (11 votes [7.86%])

Percentage of vote: 7.86%

3. Undecided (9 votes [6.43%])

Percentage of vote: 6.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

Pretty much every vehicle in the 21st century has some form of lights, whether they are spot lights, fog lights or flood lights. But 'Mechs don't?

I'm one of those who find the current night vision mode hard on the eyes. It's too bright and actually hurts my eyes after a while. Fighting a whole battle with this mode at high speeds takes a lot of concentration because everything is the same colour. I keep hitting small obstacles that I can't see well for example, and I sometimes have a lot of trouble seeing the enemy among buildings unless they are moving. I guess that's the point of this mode, and I'm not complaining about it per say. It's fine as it is.

BUT...

On night maps such as River City Night, I would much prefer to use simple flood lights to illuminate my path, which would let me see actual colours and different terrain and shapes much better.

Pros:

- Allows you to see terrain and shapes better than in a monochromatic mode.
- Counters the enemy's night vision mode at close range, even though it would be pointing downwards like car lights and not directly in your eyes.
- Only one 'Mech in a lance needs his flood lights on for others around him to see better, so it benefits even the ones not using it. This means you could use it to mask dark 'Mechs following you with the glow of your own light (to some level at least).

Cons:

- Would generate a big amount of heat over time which would be visible by heat vision mode (remember Predator 2?). The lights being external however, the heat would not affect the internal 'Mech's heat or very little.
- Does not only counters the night vision of enemies, but also your own and your teammates'.
- Allows the enemy to see you very easily from far away.

Edited by Tweaks, 10 September 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#2 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'd say yes but people are stupid.. it would look good but anyone who used them would be an ***** with a neon "shot me" sign above their head... oh wait that the 3PV drone with the blinking light

#3 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

this would rock and really mess with nightvision :)

#4 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBlue Ridge Mountains

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

It could be a module.

#5 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

I support the idea of floodlights being standard on mechs and for enhanced optics like Nightvision and Thermal to be part of an Advanced Optics module instead of being standard.

#6 theblackdeath

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 56 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDC, USA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

I've been saying floodlights would be awesome.

#7 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 10 September 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

this would rock and really mess with nightvision :)

Agreed, instant whiteout! Another idea that fits within lore is to bring in the Flare launchers. I checked my bible "MechWarrior BattleTech Reference MWBTRv.4-AA$" and there it was on page 40.

#8 PboyT

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

Good idea.

I also like the suggestion that Heat (though maybe not night vision mode) should be additional modules. They should probably be enhanced again (remember what heat mode used to be and when it was 'OP')

#9 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

This actually would be pretty cool. I dont see them implementing it unfortunately. The mechs would look really cool with some flood lights. Theres even alot of random brackets on the mechs they could be mounted on.

#10 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

press L ingame you can toggle the lights in your cockpit that's not floodlights but it's still cool

#11 Iron War

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

Would be cool but it would be a BIG target on your back on night maps.

#12 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostIron War, on 12 September 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

Would be cool but it would be a BIG target on your back on night maps.

That's in the list of cons yes. Which balances it. so it's all good.

#13 vv3k70r

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

At the start of the battle flares should flood the area. Infrared and thermo should not work corectly, anyway so its look today.

#14 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

Some of these Flood lights can shine up to a kilometer so I'm assuming they are blindingly Bright. ;)
I'm for the idea as long as everyone can see each other's illumination and the Floodlight hit-boxes are Ultra Small

#15 stinkypuppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 153 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the great plains of canada

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

i think it would be cool if they are small so some light mech would see a atlas fail to see the flood lights and try and shoot it in the back only to have it turn and flick on the flood lights and blind the light mech only to have a salvo of srms blow its face apart while the pilot is still rubbing his eyes from the pain of the flood lights.

#16 vv3k70r

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

View Poststinkypuppy, on 16 September 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

...blind the light mech only to have a salvo of srms blow its face apart while the pilot is still rubbing his eyes from the pain of the flood lights.

Autodark, as in welding helmet. Lights dosent blind pilots but infrantry.

#17 Deathsani

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

I support this as I HATE greenovision and additionally request blinkers.

#18 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

View Poststinkypuppy, on 16 September 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

i think it would be cool if they are small so some light mech would see a atlas fail to see the flood lights and try and shoot it in the back only to have it turn and flick on the flood lights and blind the light mech only to have a salvo of srms blow its face apart while the pilot is still rubbing his eyes from the pain of the flood lights.

Well technically speaking, the only people that would be "blinded" are the ones using night vision mode. The cockpit glass is polarized and has a coating to reflect lasers, so I doubt it would let the light of a flood light pass through enough to blind you. It would however create a bloom effect.

#19 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

It's already on the board.

#20 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostTweaks, on 10 September 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

Pretty much every vehicle in the 21st century has some form of lights, whether they are spot lights, fog lights or flood lights. But 'Mechs don't?

I'm one of those who find the current night vision mode hard on the eyes. It's too bright and actually hurts my eyes after a while. Fighting a whole battle with this mode at high speeds takes a lot of concentration because everything is the same colour. I keep hitting small obstacles that I can't see well for example, and I sometimes have a lot of trouble seeing the enemy among buildings unless they are moving. I guess that's the point of this mode, and I'm not complaining about it per say. It's fine as it is.

BUT...

On night maps such as River City Night, I would much prefer to use simple flood lights to illuminate my path, which would let me see actual colours and different terrain and shapes much better.

Pros:

- Allows you to see terrain and shapes better than in a monochromatic mode.
- Counters the enemy's night vision mode at close range, even though it would be pointing downwards like car lights and not directly in your eyes.
- Only one 'Mech in a lance needs his flood lights on for others around him to see better, so it benefits even the ones not using it. This means you could use it to mask dark 'Mechs following you with the glow of your own light (to some level at least).

Cons:

- Would generate a big amount of heat over time which would be visible by heat vision mode (remember Predator 2?). The lights being external however, the heat would not affect the internal 'Mech's heat or very little.
- Does not only counters the night vision of enemies, but also your own and your teammates'.
- Allows the enemy to see you very easily from far away.

i have been talking to my unit about this forever, it would be so cool. it would make you quite the target but imagine if you were brawling with someone with night vision on?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users