Drivers: Slow Down!

27 replies to this topic

#1 Skymech

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

Just a reminder to everyone who drives: I was about 6 inches away from a head on collision last night because I was "assertive" with making a left as the light was changing, and the other guy decided to blow the red entirely. Fortunately, conditions were dry and we both slammed the brakes and made it out ok.

I know sitting at a red seems like it takes forever, but it's probably only a minute out of your life. Just take it easy.

Anyone else have some close call stories?

#2 Qosmius

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

i have one where we were pulling a 55 ton leo out of the mud, cable snapped and i could just hear the vzooom sound of it passing really close to me and cutting down a tre next to me ;)

#3 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

Also to people who decide its a good idea to be less than 1 car length away from the rear of a car going 70mph: go back to school and take physics

#4 Oppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

I almost flattened a hedgehog that crossed the street in the middle of the night last week. I managed to avoid it in the last moment though. Lucky him. And lucky me, because I think there's a special place in hell for people that kill hedgehogs. :D

Edited by Oppi, 14 June 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#5 T3rran

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

I don't got just a close call story, I got a mess up where I got away super lucky. Even got pictures.

I was driving home tired and exhausted, and it was down a country road, I was speeding (65 in a 35) and as I rounded a corner, saw a deer. I didn't think and I yanked to dodge the deer. Didn't dodge him and hit him with my mirror, but then proceeded off the road, fish tailed to the other lane, dropped off into a ditch 5 feet below me, car rolled and tumbled, I then popped into the air and slammed into a tree which then broke and landed on top of me. Fortunately, my car battery still worked and I crawled out through the sun roof.

Wanna know the damage to me: a bruised leg and one glass cut. Other than that, the thorn bush I fell in did worse than the car.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Trevnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

I was driving about 40 Km/h on some snow covered roads (had studded snow tires on), and I started taking a slow, long curve. I though it would be fine, because the car seems solid enough on the road, and I was slowing down for the turn. Then, my tail end decided to go out on me all of a sudden. Luckily I practice at the beginning of every winter in defensive driving in a deserted parking lot. So, despite almost going into the ditch, I was able to save it easily enough after a bit of fish-tailing. :D I found another car in the ditch about four kilometers after that event, and helped them get a two truck.

#7 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Matter of fact I was just hit in my workd truck back in april on the highway,lady plowed into the back of my work F350 with a tommy gate ,her minivan had no front left and she pushed me (was still ,wiht foot on breaks) 15ft into another car and 3 more in front off that since they were all front to *** in traffic. She hit at a full 60+ MPH MMy tailgate took the damage and I was shakn up. Been wihtout a truck for a few months now, Have to use the works backup Honda pilot to run around ..it sucks lol

#8 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

Almost drilled a few people who have decided that trying to make a left turn at an intersection while their vision is obstructed by another vehicle making a left turn at an intersection was their right as a motorist.
Once I had to jump a curb to avoid a collision (country road, no pedestrians to worry about) and the other happened so fast I didn't even know I almost creamed someone until I heard tires squealing when they slammed on their brakes.

#9 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

I still remember to this day when I first passed my test about 5 years ago I was driving down the motorway with my wife.

We got stuck behind a lorry doing 45MPH up a hill and there was very little traffic, I got pretty close to him due to not being very experienced and not allowing enough time to overtake him.

I dropped back a bit (slowing even further) checked my mirrors, decided the road was clear and moved to overtake him, didn't check my blind spot until the last second and POW there was a black VW Golf there with a look of terror on his face as he must have been driving at 70 when I would have appeared to have swung directly into him, thankfully my wife screamed a warning just before I hit him, I slammed on the breaks and nearly hit the back of the flatbed lorry in my lane, whilst sliding from side to side under breaking, needless to say I always check my blind spot now! (Temporary moments of terror should do that, either learn or die the next time).

#10 Skymech

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 14 June 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

Once I had to jump a curb to avoid a collision (country road, no pedestrians to worry about)

Yeah, I had to power over a median in my Japanese coupe (i.e. not a lot of ground clearance) because someone pulled into my lane from being parked without signalling.

#11 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

I've been in 3 serious motorcycle accidents, one of which involved high speed, me flying through the air, losing my helmet, and skidding on my (severely chaffed) arse through an intersection, and have walked away from all of them.

You can only be so lucky in life, so I'm OK with the lack of a beta key.

Edited by TLBFestus, 14 June 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#12 st1x

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationChavbury, England

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

I was on my way to pick up the ex-wife from work one evening and the road i used was totally straight with a crossroads in the middle...you could seriously see a quartermile+ from one end to the other. So im banging along it...no-ones about so i kick it up to about 85....and then 300 meters in front of me i see this new volvo S40 stopped at the junction....ive got right of way so i see no reason to slow down...cos if they've already stopped they must have seen me since i am the only car on the road in either direction.

Wrong.

When i reached 30 meters from them, they decide to pull out in front of me.....this after waiting for a good 10-15 seconds whilst i approached the junction.

i hit them just forward from the drivers side door and almost ripped the front of their car off (big metallic tear from bottom of wheel arch to half way across under the windscreen). The bonnet on my cavalier went from being 6ft to 1ft in less than a second and because i tried to swerve away from them i hit them at an angle...this angle bounced me straight off into a big metallic concreted road sign that caved in on itself as i hit it, the top part bending almost double and coming straight through half the front part of the roof and the windscreen.

When i woke up from unconsciousness i tried to sit up....and hit my head on the sign, as i looked round i could see that the headrest had been chopped clean off of my seat...all i had to show was seatbelt burns and the loss of the skin on my right eyelid where broken glass must have shaved it or something. i turned the ignition off, managed to open my door and then fell 5 foot into a ditch which i sprained my wrist and consequentially accumulated more damage to me than the actual crash.

Damage to them? old lady driver spent 6 months in hospital, old man passenger 9 months in traction.

Speed doesn't kill, retards that can't drive do though.

#13 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts
  • Location"Mechs are mobile war machines. You're either moving, or you're dead"

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

See this?

Posted Image

It was my 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. A week later i did this:

Posted Image

I was drunk, and entered a roundabout at 60 MpH. Luckily, it was 5:00 in the morning and nobody was around, because i went off the road and bashed two other cars, a lamp post and a signal. I had to pay 5000$ to the owners and the city hall, and the judge let me go with 1 year without license. Now i have an Opel Astra 1.6, i quit drinking, and i never go over any road signal. I got lucky, and had a second chance... Be smart, and don't go the way i went.

Edited by Caballo, 14 June 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#14 Irreverence

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

And please watch out for motorcycles!

#15 name51875

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

I was just went home from my college using motorcycle, the condition is a bit raining, for 1/2 of the trip it was OK, but after that everything went dark, i woke up and found myself in somebody car, i ask him "What happened?" he says that i got struck by a car, good thing those people are nice, they called my parents and bring me to hospital near my house, the doctor diagnose me with broken right femur, i'm now in recovery the doctor said that i'm 100% back on my feet October this year. If you asked me what actually happened to me, i can't say, cause i'm not even remembering anything about the accident, i only remember that the road is lonesome that day.

#16 Grahad Mills

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

well for me it happend twice in 2 weeks...

i'm driving a VW Golf MK2 with disc brakes on front end rear of the car so the brakingforce is good but i dont have an ABS so in the stories will be lots of smoke

forst i was going down a road at the university with exists of the called university. From these exits you can't watch passing traffic well (what is caused by parking cars). well somone used one of these exits with a bmw 3 cabriolet and didn't see me. good for me it was dry i managed to stop at less then a meter distance (from 60km/h in town, yeah i'm speeding (its germany so u have 50km/h as a limit in town)). From that i knew need new tires in next season and got to work on my driving techniques. well in the end i painted 4 nice straight lines on the tarmac made a lot of smoke and saved my girlfriend, me, my golf, and the other guy from a crash

few days later was going down an other road i had a Mercedes Sprinter pulling in from the left lane in to the rightlane at 60 km/h while his rearwheels where still on the same level as my front end was. so i again hat to do some emergency braking. it was again lots of smoke coming from the tires, and 4 nice straight black lines on the tarmac.

so keep in mind think about the retards driving other cars and remember "burnt rubber stinks as hell"

btw st1x the real ****** is u because u never thought about the option they could just over look u. You have to take responsibility for what happens in front of you!!

#17 WraithTR1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

Just saw this today.
http://forums.themus...-not-do-509733/

As far as lights being a minute or two out of my life that's not true at least around here. I once timed it going to work one day, and On a 20 minute drive to work 14 minutes of my drive was sitting at stoplights.

#18 Rhistar

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

I was in the passenger seat and my step brother was driving. I was 15 and he was 16. It was about 9:00 at night and I guess my bro was a little tired, cause as we were coasting down a hill he fell asleep. I blacked out for a few seconds when we hopped the curb and went through a light pole. When I came to, the car was filled with smoke, the front was smashed in, and the light pole was laying in the back seat.

#19 DBDrake

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

Mmmmm. I have a good one.

Ilved in costa-rica for a while out in the boonies, whole bunch of teak tree plantations there, lots of lumber trucks. shortest road out was over a very steep ridge with a sheer cliff on one side and a steep slope on ther other; and for about 300 yards, a five hundred foot vertical drop. No rails of warning of any sort,

One day driving back to the city, came accros a teak truck , filling up about 1.5 lanes of the 2.5 lane road, with a cable broken and logs pokling out into the open space, next to a fivehundred foot drop, and all these ******** were passing the guy about a foot from the edge. I actually had to pull up sideways accross the lane to give them a chance to re-cinch the cable, that was nerve racking as hell.

Other than that, got rear ended at 65 mph and spun three times accross two lanes of LA trafic and somehow managed to miss every other car
on the road on time. THAT will give you religion, let me tell you.

#20 JabberJon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 147 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

That poor Lancer. And really, a GSX? You know how hard those are to find! Makes me wanna cry. :D And I have close calls every day, I ride a motorcycle to work every day and these drivers just don't look out for me. I have to keep a huge bubble around me just to feel safe, and that's not easy in traffic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users