Theorycrafting: Griffin-1Ncqc "smithy"

13 replies to this topic

#1 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hi, my name is Brendin and I like to Theory craft (hello brendin).
Lately, I've grown sort of attached to the Griffin, so I've decided I'd try my hand at the 'mech lab, which honestly scared me at first but now I actually like it. So, here it is, my take on the Griffin going from Sniper/Support too more of a Close Quarter Combat role.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0c922b226fb6876
What do you think?

#2 Scav3ng3r

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

IMO XL is a must, if you lose the RT, your mech is dead anyway. Revision of your idea.

#3 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostScav3ng3r, on 10 September 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

IMO XL is a must, if you lose the RT, your mech is dead anyway. Revision of your idea.

I like you Revision. I can see these two 'mechs of yours and mine working in tangent as a pair of light 'mech hunters. The 'mech I had in mind is for Close Quarters, Light-Medium 'mech hunting and general hurt

Though I will admit, the addition of Artemis would make the SRMs much better.

Edited by Brenden, 10 September 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#4 Scav3ng3r

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostBrenden, on 10 September 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

I like you Revision. I can see these two 'mechs of yours and mine working in tangent as a pair of light 'mech hunters. The 'mech I had in mind is for Close Quarters, Light-Medium 'mech hunting and general hurt.

If you are looking for a real Light/Medium Hunter, you'll prolly wanna look at this.

The Griffin 1N imo looks like it would make a better support brawler, or long range support mech than it would a Light/Medium killer.

My build would prolly be something more along the lines of this.

Actually, I lied, it would definitely be this.

Edited by Scav3ng3r, 10 September 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#5 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

I'd be inclined to do this with my Griffin.

A PPC to poke people with, a load of SRMs to make them think twice about getting close, 97kmph with jump jets.

I'd have to see how the hardpoint layouts and dynamic weapons first, but I'd be more inclined to turn the 3M into an LRM boat and the 1S a poptart, but for now I have my heart set on making the 1N into a striker.

#6 Scav3ng3r

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

View PostCheeseThief, on 10 September 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

A PPC to poke people with, a load of SRMs to make them think twice about getting close, 97kmph with jump jets.

I'd have to see how the hardpoint layouts and dynamic weapons first, but I'd be more inclined to turn the 3M into an LRM boat and the 1S a poptart, but for now I have my heart set on making the 1N into a striker.

IMO you are lacking too much leg armor.

Edit: My 4 Streak Kintaro that goes 95 KPH will leg you before it strips your Torso armor.

Edited by Scav3ng3r, 10 September 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#7 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

I just thought of this, while working in class.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4c02b768329e8b9

#8 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

View PostCheeseThief, on 10 September 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

I suggest you reloacte some of the armor from the Center torso and place it on the legs, also, you have a very thing layer protecting your rear. If I came in with my Griffin, Smithy, I'm quite sure I could blow off a side torso in a few hits.

#9 ohtochooseaname

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

I'd probably go with something like this (depending on how easy the ct is to hit:
GRF-1N

This gives you an entire shield side to use as well as the maneuverability of jump jets.

#10 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

View Postohtochooseaname, on 11 September 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

I'd probably go with something like this (depending on how easy the ct is to hit:
GRF-1N

This gives you an entire shield side to use as well as the maneuverability of jump jets.

I will take that into consideration. Thanks buddy!

#11 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

Something similar to Scav3ng3r's last link is best.

#12 Moonraven83

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostBrenden, on 11 September 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

I just thought of this, while working in class.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4c02b768329e8b9

Honestly, that Mech is a horrible piece of junk
- never take FF-Armor, use Endo (saves more weight and FF grants not more armor)
- 1t of AMS-Ammo is enough
- LRM20 is to big you only have 17 Tubes, take 2 LRM10 or 1 LRM15 and 1 LRM10
so you have 1 concentrated blob of 20/25 missiles instead of 1 blob of 17 and 3 follow-ups
- bad armor distribution, 3/4 to front 1/4 to back
- not enough LRM-Ammo
- 315XL-Engine is no good, look for engine in 25-steps (275, 300, 325)
- MGs arent worth it, you have to take more (at least 4) and/or be fast (light or Medium)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ade256392d2ddf7
Upgraded your Design to competive Level, if you still want the LPL remove 1 ML and 1t of LRM-Ammo

View Postohtochooseaname, on 11 September 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

GRF-1N

Good Mech but i would change a few things.
- BAP is a "Must-Have" when you have LRM or Streaks
- i would prefer an 300std-engine (you can use it on other mechs as well
and who knows when you will need it for that 1 extra heatsink)
- if you want the left-side as shield, increase the armor, you don't need
full armor on legs (rarely somebody shoots there)
- cram as much as possible into the right-side, so you're fully functional even without your left-side

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ebe53025f51dcb4

http://mwomercs.com/...unchback-guide/
look at his Mechs as reference for good Medium-Mechs-Designs

Edited by Moonraven83, 12 September 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#13 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Well my original idea for that Thunderbolt was for it to mostly be a utility, with with TAG, BAP and AMS. Still, you're right. I've never been the best at this sort.

Right now, I'm working on a Stalker that's heavy support and armed with a TAG laser. Endo Steel, Artemis IV and the like. I have two tons of free space left. What should I do?
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...53c4fcd09e84648

Edited by Brenden, 12 September 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#14 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

I think we need to start with how heatsinks work.

With 18 single heatsinks your dissipating 18 heat per 10 seconds. With 18 double heatsinks your dissipating 31.2 heat per 10 second.

Double heatsinks that come with the engine dissipate 2 heat every 10 seconds while the ones you have to add yourself dissipate 1.4 heat every 10 seconds. So by just upgrading the heatsinks to doubles and not re-adding the external ones, you will increase your dissipation rate to 20 up from 18, and save yourself 8 ton.

With the space saved you should downgrade your engine from an XL to a standard so your Stalker is less of a free kill and then either add a pair of heatsinks, or shave half a ton of armour off the legs and add a heat sink and AMS with 1t of ammo.

Also since your not making use of the double AMS use the Stalker 3F as a base instead of the 5S, not only does it cost 4 million less to buy but it also has a great torso twist range.

As for the Endo vs Ferro upgrades;

Endo steel upgrades reduce your mechs frame from 10% of your max weight down to 5%, while Ferro reduces your armours weight by 12%.

For 14 crits, or 30% of your internal space, Endo will reduce an Atlas's weight by 5 tons, where as Ferro will reduce it's 19.5 ton of armour down to 17.15 ton. So Ferro is just over half as effective as Endo when it comes to saving weight and thus should never be taken unless you already have Endo equipped.

Edited by CheeseThief, 12 September 2013 - 03:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users