How Do You Play Your Dragon?

60 replies to this topic

#21 Wispsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

I use a 1C with max xl, ferro, endo 2xppc on shoulder and 2xmedlas on arm. Lots of double heatsinks.

Snipe lots, reposition often.

#22 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

I use my Flame more than other variants.

XL320 (95kp/h)
Standard Armor
Endo-Steel
17DHS
1xPPC
3xLL

WG1:
3xLL
WG2:
PPC
WG3:
3xLL chain fire

You can build the same with a 5N, having the PPC and one of the LL in the shoulder instead of the arm isn't a huge disadvantage.

The Dragons real advantage is speed and burst damage. Use that speed to get to where you're needed and that burst damage to put down damaged enemies as quickly as possible. Hit and run, never stop moving and use your speed to avoid fights that aren't in your favour.

#23 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

View PostSKFirebird, on 11 September 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

How do you play your Dragon?

Not.

My 1N was the first Mech I really liked (my first one was Spider-5V, but that I didn't like xD). I still have the beauty in my garage. It's still my overall most played mech; played in different setups.
You want to know why it's nothing more than a dust catcher now?
Because it has no JJ and Flamers suck :)

I'm serious, I play Trebuchet, Blackjack, Spider, Jenner and Victor, all because of JJ. And then there's this "dragon"... and it makes me sad :D

Edited by Denolven, 08 October 2013 - 01:15 AM.

#24 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:33 PM

Some Xcelent advice guys, thx. I just got my Dragons and am having some fun leveling them up. Love the speed and fire power.
The advice about flanking and surprise butt $3% is great and works a treat!

#25 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:24 AM

what do you folks do with the Fang? It is the only variant I can't find a fun loadout to play. I tried normal stull like AC10+2LLs+ML

I have an XL340 in it right now.

tried other bits like
gauss+ERPPC
3xLPL+2Mgs
UAC5+2LPL

nothing seems to fit for me and i'm trying to differentiate it from my others.

need to try LBX+LPL or ERPPC+2MLP

maybe something goofy like 2xAC2+LPL+2ML

or this goofy fun time
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e7f46ef91f18e99

Edited by Bigbacon, 05 January 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#26 MLM13

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 23 posts
  • LocationParadise City

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:13 PM

I first mastered LCT variants, then the HBK.

I play my dragons with 350XL engines! How I play it? I play it like a locust and a hunchback! heavy hitter with that speed. I just wish I can have Artemis on these. And, command consoles might look trash but it really makes a difference. At the end of the match, live or die, there's always that kind of satisfaction.

P.S.
Elite Skills is a must and you need master for those extra module!

My fav variant is the 5N with the ballistic velocity quirk. ;)

I also play them with Classical Piano Tracks and a smile on my face!

Edited by MLM13, 08 January 2015 - 11:14 PM.

#27 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:29 AM

View PostMLM13, on 08 January 2015 - 11:13 PM, said:

My fav variant is the 5N with the ballistic velocity quirk. ;)

Ahem

I ran this setup in the chassis challenge before the quirks,it is good. Almost the same dps as 2 UAC5:s doubletapped,and no jams. Its a bit slow for a dragon tho and you have to be really careful in it,but it is really potent setup.

#28 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 05 January 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

what do you folks do with the Fang? It is the only variant I can't find a fun loadout to play. I tried normal stull like AC10+2LLs+ML

I have an XL340 in it right now.

tried other bits like
gauss+ERPPC
3xLPL+2Mgs
UAC5+2LPL

nothing seems to fit for me and i'm trying to differentiate it from my others.

need to try LBX+LPL or ERPPC+2MLP

maybe something goofy like 2xAC2+LPL+2ML

or this goofy fun time
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e7f46ef91f18e99

well I ended up back at AC10+2LLs+ML. it is the only thing that seems to work well.

#29 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:45 AM

1) Find something fat on your team. A dire wolf or Atlas will be great, just something that the enemy will regard as a big threat and will aim at instead of you. If you wish to flank, choose a fast flanker to move with that the above applies to, something like a Timberwolf or Thunderbolt. Just find a fat friend the other team will aim for.

2) Let your fat friend be the first thing they see.

3) Unload on them while your friend tanks the damage. I mean seriously unload and aim well to maximize the effect of your damage. A proper dragon build (usually based around quirks but not always) should be able to core out a Dire Wolf if left unharried.

4) Once heat or the death of your fat friend force retreat, use your speed to redeploy, either to more teammates if fat-friend died, or to a new firing position.

5) Rinse and repeat.

The strength of the Dragon is speed + DPS. The weakness is survivability. The above tactic is by no means the only effective tactic, but it is a simple one that maximizes the strength of the chassis while minimizing its weaknesses.

#30 Selene Lunaris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFrom Safety To Where?

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:32 AM

I don't.

Except for the hilariously OP 1N, which is just a really simple formula of an XL320, one ERLLAS and two AC/5s. AC/10 with AC/2 firing speed and velocity and whatnot? Yes please give that to me

It's the usual formula of hanging back, letting a Whale or something catch fire and punching people right in the face with hilarious deeps.

#31 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

View PostChrona, on 09 January 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

I don't.

Except for the hilariously OP 1N, which is just a really simple formula of an XL320, one ERLLAS and two AC/5s. AC/10 with AC/2 firing speed and velocity and whatnot? Yes please give that to me

It's the usual formula of hanging back, letting a Whale or something catch fire and punching people right in the face with hilarious deeps.

The 5N has hilarious DPS as well with the UAC5 quirks. Just pair the UAC5 with 2xAC2 and make it rain lead.

#32 Selene Lunaris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFrom Safety To Where?

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:24 AM

View PostVoivode, on 09 January 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

The 5N has hilarious DPS as well with the UAC5 quirks. Just pair the UAC5 with 2xAC2 and make it rain lead.

this sounds like a really stupid version of my dakka banshee.

i like it.

#33 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:11 AM

So, since I've had this masochistic urge for a long time and they're now on c-bill sale, I bought a couple of dragons (third will be bought when I got the c-bills for it tomorrow).
Other than the dual AC5 build, what other setups do folks recommend?

#34 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

View PosteFTy, on 12 January 2015 - 01:11 AM, said:

So, since I've had this masochistic urge for a long time and they're now on c-bill sale, I bought a couple of dragons (third will be bought when I got the c-bills for it tomorrow).
Other than the dual AC5 build, what other setups do folks recommend?

Which dragons do you have? I assume by dual ac5 you have the 1N, what else?

#35 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:20 PM

I have the 1C and the 1N, and will get the 5N after I get another 1-2M c-vills (if I don't play enoug hgames before the sale ends, I'll just sell an engine or two).
I've yet to do anything other than smurfy test builds, as I don't really have the c-bills for upgrades. I jsut want to soak some more ideas until I get the mechs ready for battle.

#36 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

Here's a nice build for the 1N. Really takes advantage of the quirks with the dual AC5, just enough SRM + Pulse laser to help out up close.

This is what I do on the 5N. Works very well.

I don't currently own the 1C, but this is what I'd do with it knowing how Dragons play as a chassis. The quirks for the 1C are much more generic than the 1N or 5N.

#37 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

A dragon with a STD engine is wasted. It MUST have an XL engine preferably nothing smaller than a 280.

The dragon has got great arm movement range and so benefits from having hard hitting weapons in the arms. Something like high calibre balistics and large puls lasers really works well as you torso twist like a mad man yet can land your shots easily. It does of course help to have the mechs elited.

Handy hint move as much armour as you dare to the front centre torso, drop a bit on the head (can practically half it) keep your right arm armour at max (its huge) and leave your leg armour at about 45. Run, don't stop running it's basically a medium mech that's fallen in the hevy category much like the cicada is a medium but it's really a light.

#38 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

View Postmad kat, on 13 January 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

A dragon with a STD engine is wasted. It MUST have an XL engine preferably nothing smaller than a 280.

The dragon has got great arm movement range and so benefits from having hard hitting weapons in the arms. Something like high calibre balistics and large puls lasers really works well as you torso twist like a mad man yet can land your shots easily. It does of course help to have the mechs elited.

Handy hint move as much armour as you dare to the front centre torso, drop a bit on the head (can practically half it) keep your right arm armour at max (its huge) and leave your leg armour at about 45. Run, don't stop running it's basically a medium mech that's fallen in the hevy category much like the cicada is a medium but it's really a light.

it depends. The flame does well with a STD engine with the AC20 and MLs.

#39 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:39 PM

View PostWispsy, on 06 October 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

I use a 1C with max xl, ferro, endo 2xppc on shoulder and 2xmedlas on arm. Lots of double heatsinks.

Snipe lots, reposition often.

I've been meaning to try something similar for a short while now except with endo and a ballistic in the right arm. My attention to detail cries when it sees a dragon with an empty right arm or with just machine guns in.

#40 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:57 AM

View PostVoivode, on 13 January 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

Here's a nice build for the 1N. Really takes advantage of the quirks with the dual AC5, just enough SRM + Pulse laser to help out up close.

This is what I do on the 5N. Works very well.

I don't currently own the 1C, but this is what I'd do with it knowing how Dragons play as a chassis. The quirks for the 1C are much more generic than the 1N or 5N.

Thanks for that. I tried that build with an XL270, but it's way too hot until I get the c-bills for double heat sinks.
How do you play it mostly - chainfire or group fire?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users