- - - - -

Tunnel And Narrow Passes. Do's And Don'ts

11 replies to this topic

#1 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

-if your the head of the line, do your best to stand off to the sides to gain maximum firing lines.
-if you are getting fired upon, do not walk back in a straight line, do your best to walk to the sides.
-take turns taking the lead position.
-running around in the tunnel only blocks your teams firing lines.
-stand your ground as a team and focus fire.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by King Arthur IV, 12 September 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#2 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

It's awfully hard to communicate that to people in a public game without voice.

It's also hard to coordinate, as the mechs on the outer edge of the curve need to be faster to keep up, and when playing in a pub I'm just thrilled if the team gets through without stopping, finer commands like "faster mechs stick to the outside" and "spread your firing arcs" are a bit much to ask.

I'm also not sure the tunnel is as wide as you think it is.

#3 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

This also applies to the entries to the Caldera in Terra Therma!

Short version of the concept might be stated...
If the tunnel curves to the left and your right arm fell off either you were standing too far to the right or the {Richard Cameron} behind you didn't clear himself to the right before firing :rolleyes:

#4 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

View Postaniviron, on 12 September 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

It's awfully hard to communicate that to people in a public game without voice.

It's also hard to coordinate, as the mechs on the outer edge of the curve need to be faster to keep up, and when playing in a pub I'm just thrilled if the team gets through without stopping, finer commands like "faster mechs stick to the outside" and "spread your firing arcs" are a bit much to ask.

I'm also not sure the tunnel is as wide as you think it is.

i have to disagree, i believe all mechs can be in any spots, you just need patients. i will even go as far to say i would prefer a slow tank to be on the outer edge because that mech will take most of the heat.

frozen city tunnel may be more narrow but there are many places more wide, allowing you to apply the same rule; alleyways in Terra Therma, canyons in canyons, certain passes in alpine etc. these are all pretty wide.
basically all im saying is, in a narrow area or going around corners dont bunch up in a line because you cant fire through your team.

Edited by King Arthur IV, 12 September 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#5 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 12 September 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

i have to disagree, i believe all mechs can be in any aspots, you just need patients.

This is part of the problem...the typical outcome of many of these engagements winds up with one or more becoming a patient. Typically housed in the "Who just shot my mudder-muffin arm off from behind?!" wing of the MICU. :)

#6 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostStarGeezer, on 12 September 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

This is part of the problem...the typical outcome of many of these engagements winds up with one or more becoming a patient. Typically housed in the "Who just shot my mudder-muffin arm off from behind?!" wing of the MICU. :)

Or in one match... who just cored my mech from behind

#7 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

if you havent learnt how to be selfless in RL, its probably not going to happen in game :lol:

#8 k0sh

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

Another issue is when people run away when thing get hot leaving you alone. Usually happens to me when I'm in Atlas.

#9 Masterzinja

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

View Postk0sh, on 13 September 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

Another issue is when people run away when thing get hot leaving you alone. Usually happens to me when I'm in Atlas.

I've lost track of the times where I see a couple mechs on my team engaging so I rush up to help them only to have them abandon me to the enemy and run off to hide. It's not just this game, but others I play like WoT. The most basic tactic in any even odds game is to maximize your guns on the line at all times while trying to minimize your enemy. It's very frustrating when you think someone has your back because you had theirs and you suddenly find that your getting 3wayed with none of the help you just saw there seconds ago.

#10 Enigmos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

Time spent firing into the back of a teammate is time and ammo wasted and weakens your own chances to survive the match.

It also induces rage in a fellow human being. In over 8500 matches I've witnessed two pilots who clearly and purposefully fired into the backs of teammates, not counting occasions where someone may have misfired at match start alt&tabbing back into the client: it isn't common, but does appear indicative of sociopathic tendencies (a bad thing).

#11 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

Was playing a match this past weekend and watched a twin AC20 Jagger team kill a friendly Atlas as he tunneled on a Jenner that ran in front of our advancing group. Losing an Atlas that was nearly fresh, with the exception of some other friendly fire hits to his backside, essentially swung the match.

#12 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

we can only do so much to teach others or just join a corp!!!

play with F8L!! we will never shoot you in the back!! :D

F8L.co

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users