Mechwarrior Online Heat Simulator (+Ghost Heat, Ambience Temp Effects)

101 replies to this topic

#21 Effectz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 349 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Very useful,good job!

#22 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Marthe, while i am sure there will be tuning and tweaking and stuff, regardless this is one of the most useful contributions since OHM posted his info, or the Smurfy Lab, and a fantastic, IMO, must have compliment to those two contributions.

Big Kudos, even if you are a Moldy Pigeon!!!

#23 Psikez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

Cool, look forward to seeing this evolve :)

#24 BlueFly17

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

Very nice! Thanks

#25 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

This is interesting at the very least...

Although, designing something to "counter" or "experiment" with Paul's HeatWarrior Online™ is just funny as heck.

#26 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 15 September 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

This is interesting at the very least...

Although, designing something to "counter" or "experiment" with Paul's HeatWarrior Online™ is just funny as heck.

nice to see that you can bring bitterness and negativity to someone's creative hard work, Deathlike.

Not trying to further the negative vibe man, but if you are at the point where you apparently hate the game so much, why ya hanging around? Cause comments like this are just bringing other people down, dude. Not real cool, no pun intended.

#27 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 September 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

nice to see that you can bring bitterness and negativity to someone's creative hard work, Deathlike.

I'm actually complementing the work done. If it were modifiable for the purposes of simulating 2.0 DHS across the board with testable heat containment/coolrun stuff (in addition to balance changes), you could make really solid arguments on balance (at least with respect to heat).

Not trying to further the negative vibe man, but if you are at the point where you apparently hate the game so much, why ya hanging around? Cause comments like this are just bringing other people down, dude. Not real cool, no pun intended.

I'm actually mocking the fact that we must "simulate" Paul's heat sink decisions (with ghost heat) instead simulating "alternative enviornments" and see how it could potentially work out, instead of relying on Paul's insistence that it would "be bad for the game". If anything, it would be bad for how coolant works in this game.

Edited by Deathlike, 15 September 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 15 September 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I'm actually complementing the work done. If it were modifiable for the purposes of simulating 2.0 DHS across the board with testable heat containment/coolrun stuff (in addition to balance changes), you could make really solid arguments on balance (at least with respect to heat).

I'm actually mocking the fact that we must "simulate" Paul's heat sink decisions (with ghost heat) instead simulating "alternative enviornments" and see how it could potentially work out, instead of relying on Paul's insistence that it would "be bad for the game". If anything, it would be bad for how coolant works in this game.

Aight. If I misread your intent, I apologize. But I have seen you and several others are pretty quick to cut PGI to shreds at every chance, but I find few people willing to actually step up when PGI has seemed to get something right, and those that do seem to get ridiculed as White Knights. I'm just kinda tired of the toxic negativity that is in these forums, so I might have a twitchy trigger finger of my own.

That said, call me nuts, and I sure agree it's a convoluted, confusing mess how we got here, but I am actually finding the weapon balance and heat to be relatively speaking pretty decent now, even if (IMO and most other peoples) things like Ghost Heat seems an awfully complex and counter intuitive way to get here. That said, I worry that maybe they were right and that true DHS would just bring back the high alpha Meta we have thankfully finally left behind (hopefully).

Though as you say, without getting to try them ourselves it is hard to say. Problem is, to truly test them in this Simulator, Marthe would have to not only allow for true 2.), but then make several variants for a lower Heat Threshold too. Seems like a lot of work, but, I would love to see it. But first I am happy to see how this works with Ghost heat factored in, and the differing ambient for the different maps, as well as movement.

#29 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 September 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

Aight. If I misread your intent, I apologize. But I have seen you and several others are pretty quick to cut PGI to shreds at every chance, but I find few people willing to actually step up when PGI has seemed to get something right, and those that do seem to get ridiculed as White Knights. I'm just kinda tired of the toxic negativity that is in these forums, so I might have a twitchy trigger finger of my own.

I did say something positive about the UI 2.0 discussion, and one about the HUD fix. I'm quick to criticize decisions with balance and other stuff... but when it comes to something technical and laid out fairly w/o silly PR, there's really nothing negative to say about it. Honesty is still the best policy.

That said, call me nuts, and I sure agree it's a convoluted, confusing mess how we got here, but I am actually finding the weapon balance and heat to be relatively speaking pretty decent now, even if (IMO and most other peoples) things like Ghost Heat seems an awfully complex and counter intuitive way to get here. That said, I worry that maybe they were right and that true DHS would just bring back the high alpha Meta we have thankfully finally left behind (hopefully).

Though as you say, without getting to try them ourselves it is hard to say. Problem is, to truly test them in this Simulator, Marthe would have to not only allow for true 2.), but then make several variants for a lower Heat Threshold too. Seems like a lot of work, but, I would love to see it. But first I am happy to see how this works with Ghost heat factored in, and the differing ambient for the different maps, as well as movement.

Well, the function should be first and foremost simulate what this game does. Considering that I don't think the heat sink and capacity functionality will change in the future, at least providing an "experimental" mode for PGI and ourselves to play with would certainly at least bring more insightful/useful discussions.

I mean, w/o testing the thing, AC2s and UAC5 heat has its own discrepancies by design. It is important from a balance perspective to understand heat mechanics so that we are able to speak to newbies to show them the how far they can go and the limitations of such a system. Learning about the heat system is paramount to mastering this game.

#30 Balls McManly

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

Wow... when I read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be some clever way of hooking MWO heat outputs to your thermostat, so as your mech heats up, so does your room.

#31 Marthe Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

Ghost heat is in!
it's was a tad bit tricky to implement, but yeah finally got it working。Just tick the 'Enable Ghost Heat' checkbox under the Heat indicator to enable it。

Next on the feature pipeline : Import from Smurfy

if you guys see feel any problems with the ghost heat computation, just comment on this thread。

Cheers!

Edited by Marthe Pryde, 15 September 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#32 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

This is awesome.

#33 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

Might take some testing to ensure its validity but otherwise this is awesome! Nice work Marthe.

#34 Marthe Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:04 AM

The amount of ghost heat incurred by your last alpha / linked fire should now show up beside the checkbox for easy verification of the ghost heat computation (if ghost heat is enabled)

#35 Effectz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 349 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

Is there only the three weapon groups?or can you have the full five groups?

#36 Bacl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUsually between a rock and a Atlas

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

This is the kind of simulator that SHOULD be in the game already ince they play sorcere's apprentice with the heat system. Awesome job!

If you could have the option to chain fire things, its good to be able to see your heat build up on weapons group and alphas but with the current heat system chain fire is most of the time necessary. This would be a great addition!

#37 Marthe Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

Forgot to mention this earlier on this thread but the sim has been updated for the latest patch (launch).

regarding chainfire : maybe not soon B) prioritizing smurfy import at the moment
regarding more weapon groups : will sneak that in a bit

#38 Phobos Wasp

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the great tool!

However, I'm fairly new to this. Could someone tell me what an 'elite mech' is and why it has a better cooling rate and heat cap? I looked around and couldn't find any information on this.

Thanks.

#39 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:53 AM

I finished a Preliminary Report for Map Heat last night.

http://mwomercs.com/...s-heat-and-you/

Your tool actually prompted me to complete my work.

Enjoy!

#40 Skulgun17

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

This is awesome. I really like it. Just wanted to point out though that ghost heat for 3 x PPC or ERPPC doesn't seem to be working. At least the number stays at 0 next to the ghost hit tick box. It works for 4+ but not 3. You might want to fix that and make this even more awesome :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users