• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:11 AM

Still trying to piece together my light RP nonsense for my MWO character. I don't really have an excuse for having my Hunchback yet but I'm working on it.

I did request a contract change during Tukayidd due to IS queues, so I may work that in. Something along the lines of getting captured when FRR was attacked and made a bondsman. The real hiccup here is I don't know why I'm fighting.

If I was just a normal person, how can I elevate myself to MechWarrior? How would my 'Mech be painted? Is there a standard FRR militia or something?

I'm having a tough time filling in holes. Can some lore junkies help me. I'll answer all question I Know on my background if it helps.

#2 Bill Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 354 posts
  • LocationHiding from the Maskirovka

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:46 PM

MY TIME HAS COME! *gleefully rubs hands together*

Lemme start with your questions.

Rising from regular guy to MechWarrior can take many forms, which means there is no right or wrong way to do it. Here's a few suggestions:
-Privately owned Mechs where maintained by families for generations, constantly repaired and upgraded (when possible) they acted as heirlooms, big, explodey heirlooms. By the time of the Clan Invasion, alot of IS Mechs were hundreds of years old but still in fighting shape.
-Mega-Corporations would hire people to pilot Mechs for testing purposes, security, or even just hired thugs. These pilots would then either buy the Mech from the company and then go their own way, or just run off with the Mech for reasons. Or in some other cases, go into massive debt to buy a Mech therefore constantly struggling to pay for maintenance whilst trying to pay off/avoid the loan sharks.
-Standard military service in House armies or planetary garrisons would get a kid off the street into a Mech if he passed rigorous training and tests. Then the unit would gift the Mech to the pilot for exemplary service. Or maybe you're the lone survivor of a disastrous attack?
-The Game planet Solaris is the gladiator arena of the Mech world, where wannabe Mech jocks would climb into barely functioning heaps owned by a Stable for their chance at fame and fortune (and buying a better Mech with the winnings)

Painting your Mech is another one of those "no right/wrong answer" things. If you wanna stick to canon military unit colors or just get a feel for your particular faction's favorite color scheme go here: http://mwomercs.com/...ed-concept-art/ this guy Hayden is crazy talented and his thread features a huge variety of paint scheme from all over the IS and Clans.

If you want to avoid a standard military look, well hell it's your Mech, paint it however you want! Neon green with pink candy stripes, who cares? And if they do, blow them up!

As for why you're fighting, that's gonna be on you. Some fight for money, some for power. Others fight for revenge, others for lord and country. Some fight because it's the only thing they've ever been good at. Bill Bullet (my character, not me talking in third person) fights to repay a debt to the ones who saved his life. The MechWarrior universe is HUGE and has countless opportunities. Go here: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page and spend a few hours drowning in delicious lore!

Closer to home, the fan fiction threads are a source of constant inspiration and there is a great bunch of supportive people on it.

[[Shameless plug]] Looking for an open venue for some character monologues or light roleplaying? Look no further than The Bar at the End of the Universe which was envisioned as a place where multiple story arcs can exist separately or tied together. Buy a drink, get in a fight, engage in Mech combat, prepare for the coming of the Clans!

Edited by Bill Bullet, 12 June 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#3 Nebfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:00 PM

Mr. Bill has provided a fair number of pointers, here's a few other that may expand on his.

First off As it seems your part of the Free Rasalhague Republic
Well their are a number of canon paint jobs listed here

As he mentioned their are a number of ways you could find your self as a mechwarrior. And in some cases more than one could apply.

1: It's been in your family for Years and or Generations, it's now yours...
2: Your part of a House unit, and pasted the training programs and have been accepted as a new mechwarrior
2a: Your part of a House and or Mercenary unit that captured a mech and you managed to secure the right to use said mech, even though you at the time where not a mechwarrior, you are now...
3: Your a Rich guy who bought a mech, or perhaps found one and managed to get it working.
4: Your a mercenary, you tested for and allowed to train for battlemech use.
5: You work for a large corporation, as part of it's security forces.
6: Your Prior experience with Industrial mechs, your new employers have given you a new...
7: You got accepted into a Military Academy to in it's mech programs
7a: You got accepted into a Training battalion (or equivalent program, these are for the "less well off" people (or less well connected ones) who want to become mechwarriors, the Academys don't take bums off the streets you know).

#4 Breidr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:00 AM

View PostNebfer, on 18 June 2015 - 07:00 PM, said:

First off As it seems your part of the Free Rasalhague Republic
Well their are a number of canon paint jobs listed here

Thanks for the link. I like the site a lot and have bookmarked it. I find it interesting that most of the schemes have some sort of blue, with a red trim. There is no "Rasalhague Orange" on any of the 'mechs. How dare they sell me a color that isn't on the list! :P

Anyway, thanks for the jumping off point Nebfer. I just got involved with the FRR fellas on TS, so if I jump into a unit, it will help me explain this even more. If not, you've given me plenty of ideas to mold and shape as I see fit. Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users