- - - - -

I Need Help :)

30 replies to this topic

#1 Asulde

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

Hello :huh:
I need advice whitch mech to buy 1. I love to play in medium range, i prefer heavy or assult mech:) I read some guides but still i don't have a clue what to do ;/ Plz help

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

Just for today, the Catapult K2, Jagermech DD, and Cataphract 3D. are good picks They have less terrible stock loadouts (still not great until you upgrade to Endo Steel and Double Heatsinks). They also work with various mixes of energy and ballistic weapons, so you get to experiment.

Some of the Orions should also be good (they become available for Cbills later today). You may want to wait just a couple more hours, and read up on builds for those.

#3 ArkNemesis

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

Hi,

There are plenty of thread in this forum linked to this subject.

For a first mech, I would not recommend going for an assault, as you will need 3 variants to upgrade your meck skills, and assaults are really expensive.

For the heavy, i would recommend :
- CATAPULT : If you like missile, very fun, and the K2 allows you to try autocannon and laser setup. A K2 with 2 UAC5 and 4MLas is quite deadly at short and mid range.
- CATAPHRACT : Very different variants, which allows for a lot of build. I you have the C-Bills for, the 3D variant is excellent, with good component included too (like the expensive XL engine).

Have fun

#4 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

what kind of weapons do you prefer ?
from what info you have given , i would look at

Victor
Cataphract
Quickdraw

or wait till tomorrow patch and purchase an Orion for cbills

what are your feelings about jumpjets ? (crucial, irrelevant or a nice bonus)
if you feel they are important have a look at the highlander

but again based on info given, the three i listed is what i would go for (in order)

#5 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:54 AM

Hello there!

Well general consensus here is for mediums you go Hunchback 4sp (laser and missile platform). I would recommend from my personal experience to buy Centurion AL (laser and missiles) because it is harder to kill than Hunchback. When you equip your mechs consider additional costs of Double Heat Sinks and Endo-Steel upgrades.

As for heavies I pilot Catapracht 1x and 3d. 3d is only Catapracht that can equip Jump Jets. Both are good mechs but their size is the problem, easy to hit. You can try Catapult K2 ballistic and energy platform, many people consider it best choice for 1. heavy mech.

This site helps you build your mechs before even buying them to see what you like and how much it costs: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

Good luck!

#6 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

There are a bunch of mechs you can use in that range. It all has to do with how you set them up. For example my Atlas D and Altas K are basically set up the same way. 2ERLlas arms, 2mlas center torso, AC/5, and a LRM 20 and AMS 2 on the K. I use the missiles as I close with target then take them out with my other weapons. Cataphrats can make for good weapon platforms. I also have had some success with the Jagermech-DD. I'm sorry if I not quite as helpful as I wanted to be.

#7 Asulde

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

I'm total green in this game, still learning .I prefer laser and AC , i don't like snipers and missels. i prefer mech without jump jets:)
I thinking about Catapult or Orion if he is good. Any good actual builds for therm??

#8 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

View Postz3a1ot, on 17 September 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

Hello there!

Well general consensus here is for mediums you go Hunchback 4sp (laser and missile platform). I would recommend from my personal experience to buy Centurion AL (laser and missiles) because it is harder to kill than Hunchback. When you equip your mechs consider additional costs of Double Heat Sinks and Endo-Steel upgrades.

As for heavies I pilot Catapracht 1x and 3d. 3d is only Catapracht that can equip Jump Jets. Both are good mechs but their size is the problem, easy to hit. You can try Catapult K2 ballistic and energy platform, many people consider it best choice for 1. heavy mech.

This site helps you build your mechs before even buying them to see what you like and how much it costs: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

Good luck!

Quite agree with this i mostly suggest that if you are starting GO FOR CENTURIONS!!

Why? quite simply, 3x variants with variable loadout and configs, capable to carry big ballistic weapons, big energy weapons and even a decent missile loadout, also one variant able to get high speeds, and in overall decently priced with a pretty good survival due dmg absorption (torso twist technique and left arm shield)

Cheap way to get 3x Variants and master it, also best chassis ingame to test different builds and playstyles and know what fits you best.

P.S: and i speak from experience pre MWO i was one of the sheep cattering to the heaviest mechs with bigger guns, with this games i feel in love with mobility and skirmish tactics, with the ocassional fire support role, instead the Big mech with Big guns i used to play before.

Edited by Lord Perversor, 17 September 2013 - 02:44 AM.

#9 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

The Centurion is indeed a good mech to test out build with. The mech can be very hard to kill also if set up right.

#10 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:02 AM

View PostMao of DC, on 17 September 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

The Centurion is indeed a good mech to test out build with. The mech can be very hard to kill also if set up right.

Try out the trial Champion centurion. Just make sure you open your missile bay doors and put the lasers on chainfire. Then it will work out splendidly. As is it's pretty much tricked out and will do well in all levels of play.

#11 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostEdustaja, on 17 September 2013 - 03:02 AM, said:

Try out the trial Champion centurion. Just make sure you open your missile bay doors and put the lasers on chainfire. Then it will work out splendidly. As is it's pretty much tricked out and will do well in all levels of play.

To open the missile bay doors you hit the "?" key. Just be aware that the doors provide extra armor for the section they are located. So left torso for the Cent the arms for the Cats and Stalkers. I can't think of any other mechs with doors. There are indicator lights on the cross members of the windows. Red for no missiles in the hard point, yellow for closed, green for open. You will notice a slight lag when firing missile from bays with closed doors.

Edited by Mao of DC, 17 September 2013 - 03:52 AM.

#12 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

View PostAsulde, on 17 September 2013 - 02:09 AM, said:

I'm total green in this game, still learning .I prefer laser and AC , i don't like snipers and missels. i prefer mech without jump jets:)
I thinking about Catapult or Orion if he is good. Any good actual builds for therm??

Here are some my builds or the ones I tried and did or do ok with (notice im not the worlds best pilot :) )

*Every buld here has DHS and Endo-Steel upgrades except for Atlas
** In upper right youll see how much every build costs

Centurion AL:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...40734aa6c05a2b4

Hunchback 4sp:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cdaf148a2230705

Catapracht 1x (2 different loadouts):
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...31567ade7205ab4
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...de9c30fdb2fa7e7

Victor 9K:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...585b1740821559b

Atlas D-DC:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ec9bd1a7ba30b00

I hope this helps.

#13 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

View PostAsulde, on 17 September 2013 - 01:16 AM, said:

Hello :)
I need advice whitch mech to buy 1. I love to play in medium range, i prefer heavy or assult mech:) I read some guides but still i don't have a clue what to do ;/ Plz help

Jagermech or Catapult is a good place to start. Load them with large or large pulse lasers. Maybe Autocannons as well.

Generally I prefer Jagers to Catapults because they can load AC/20s in the arms, and have a lot more arm hardpoints for direct fire weapons. Both have hardpoints high on the mech, so it is easy to peek over ridges and fire (Cataphracts are awful for that).

#14 Asulde

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

Hello, i decide to buy a orion, which one would be the best for medium range and plz send some good builds for newbie:)

#15 Asulde

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

Sry for post after post i can't edit it:( I created one build :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b11e925f4172690

What do you think about it??

#16 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

View PostAsulde, on 18 September 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

Sry for post after post i can't edit it:( I created one build :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b11e925f4172690

What do you think about it??

That is a bit of a mixed bag, don't think it will do too well.

Are you looking to make a brawler? Something for range? A bit of both?

This is the brawler I've been using.
ON1-K

I've found that XL engines aren't too bad in them either, the CT seems to be a bullet magnet.

Edited by Roughneck45, 18 September 2013 - 05:39 AM.

#17 Asulde

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:35 AM

Bith of both, i wanted something for mid range. Plz help ;/

Edited by Asulde, 18 September 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#18 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

View PostAsulde, on 18 September 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

Bith of both, i wanted something for mid range. Plz help ;/

Well that means that you need something that can reach out and touch someone.

So dual PPC's

A gauss rifle

Er or standard LL's

would fit the bill.

Then you can supplement them with some short range if you want. Which weapon system do you prefer? Do you only have a standard 300 for the engine? Or do you have any XL's or other engines to use?

Edited by Roughneck45, 18 September 2013 - 05:41 AM.

#19 Asulde

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

I prefer laser then balistic and on end missels -_- PPC and gauss rifle are not for snipers??

#20 Arete

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

I think you're mixing too many wepons on that loadout tbh.

If you're ok with assymetric builds, try something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8bf897e74a17de3

That way you have a medium-long range left side with the large lasers, and a brawler side on the right. Which means you can peek out with the left and get some LL shots of while at 500+ meters range, and then primarily use the AC20 and MLs when it's closer (and the LLs too if you got the heat for it).

Having more than 3 weapon groups are not worth it most of the time, especially if you're still learning the game :-) That's why I removed the SRM pack.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users