Metacritic: User Reviews Are Starting!

1251 replies to this topic

#1241 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:19 AM

Star Citizen has a much better pedigree then MW:O which gives me a lot more faith in it then MW:O. Nothing MW:O can really do about that but it still makes me feel better about Star Citizen. SC is also not a F2P game it's a buy to play meaning that you only have to purchase the base game in order to be able to play and have everything available to you. The funding goals are just for people to show their support and have added functionality at the start rather then waiting for updates to the game over time.

That said, I think even with all the hype a lot of people realize that any game can turn into a relative flop. I'm waiting on more information about more game mechanics before I decide to give anymore then the very base pledge I've offered, but I'm hopeful. Once the Dog fighting module is out it'll be pretty much as complete as MW:O is at it's "launch." While it's not 100% fair to compare then 1:1 like that, especially since MW:O's team is smaller and less experienced, it still engenders feelings of trust and hope when they respond to us so quickly and show us how and why they're doing things.

I see a lot of people bashing the 0 scores on metacritic for MW:O but they remain silent or non critical of the 10s. I don't think this game deserves either score even if I'd score it closer to a 0 then a 10.

#1242 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:01 AM

Im not really trying to get into this SC tussle (Im there also), but was wondering something. Didn't SC have a start-up goal of $2 mil? And didn't MWO get $5 mil from founders? Not sure about either of those numbers, just thought that was what I read before.

Edited by Dozier, 27 September 2013 - 05:03 AM.

#1243 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:03 AM

View PostDozier, on 27 September 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

Im not really trying to get into this SC tussle (Im there also), but was wondering something. Didn't SC have a start-up goal of $2 mil? And didn't MWO get $5 mil from founders? Not sure about either of those numbers, just thought that was what I read before.

Those numbers sound about right.

View PostJack Gallows, on 27 September 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

Once the Dog fighting module is out it'll be pretty much as complete as MW:O is at it's "launch."

:)

#1244 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

View PostSandpit, on 26 September 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

that's the info we were given. We weren't given a date as usual

Would a date really matter to PGI or the white knights? All they would say is unforeseen issues with Crytek or some other excuse blaming some one else and asking for patience and more money. The white knights would just say it was simply their position at the time, they are a small studio, go away, go make your own CW, stop ruining the only mech game we've got, this time will be different, etc.
I personally think their ideas look cool, but they've told us about cool ideas before and then it's shown their reach exceeds their grasp and they get dropped or delayed. I wish them luck, they'll need it.

#1245 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostHeffay, on 27 September 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

:)

How different do you see things?

Log into MW:O, play an endless arena while earning C-Bills. Log into Star Citizen, play an endless arena while earning credits. Both come with a virtual store that let's you buy stuff. MW:O isn't in beta, Star Citizen is in alpha.

Again, like I said before it's not really a 100% fair side by side comparison. SC has a bigger and more competent team that doesn't have a bumbling publishing company above it. That said, they also handle themselves a whole hell of a lot better with their community then PGI does.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 27 September 2013 - 05:31 AM.

#1246 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:28 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 27 September 2013 - 05:04 AM, said:

Would a date really matter to PGI or the white knights? All they would say is unforeseen issues with Crytek or some other excuse blaming some one else and asking for patience and more money. The white knights would just say it was simply their position at the time, they are a small studio, go away, go make your own CW, stop ruining the only mech game we've got, this time will be different, etc.
I personally think their ideas look cool, but they've told us about cool ideas before and then it's shown their reach exceeds their grasp and they get dropped or delayed. I wish them luck, they'll need it.

I didn't say it would matter, just pointing out that it was par for the course. I really would like to eat a lot of crow and write up a huge public apology to PGI for being a big "meany head" and such a black knight. So far? They've not given me a reason to

#1247 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

View PostDr B00t, on 26 September 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

someone should update the mechwarrior online wiki page to flesh out the "reception" section http://en.wikipedia....hWarrior_Online no vandalism please...just state the facts...they speak volumes on their own i would suggest "tepid" "underwhelming" and "shallow"

Please don't encourage meatpuppetry on Wikipedia. That is never well received by their administrators. Best to contact the Video Game Wikiproject so that an editor from there can flesh out the section as they already have a list of reviewers to use and non use.

#1248 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 27 September 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

you here to just whine and complain? or are you here to work towards positive change?

or why else are you here? you still play?

Bring something constructive to the table, and someone might actually care.

right...and if it's all so easy..why aren't you doing it again?
King of the Hill mode. A single central cap point.

BAM. I have just done more work than PGI's design team in two years.

#1249 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

View PostFarix, on 27 September 2013 - 05:59 AM, said:

Please don't encourage meatpuppetry on Wikipedia. That is never well received by their administrators. Best to contact the Video Game Wikiproject so that an editor from there can flesh out the section as they already have a list of reviewers to use and non use.

They already had to lock down the wiki page due to all the vandalism from the #killmwo crowd.

#1250 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

To be fair, it was actually people editing out the community reception that got it locked. Read the talk pages and check the revision history.

ETA: well, more complexly the shenanigans over what is and isn't a real source and the general massively out of date-ness of the whole damn thing got it semi-protected. You can still edit it if you're logged in assuming they haven't changed protection since I cared about wiki editing.

Edited by Nekki Basara, 27 September 2013 - 06:22 AM.

#1251 Franchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • Locationplaying something else.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostDozier, on 27 September 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

Chris needed somewhere north of 20 million to make his game, he now has somewhere north of 20 million.

The 5 million PGI figure was how much they got from founders at a certain point in the past, they however were not crowd funded and had a publisher, not to mention what they have received from GRABDEAL GRABDEAL GRABDEAL.

#1252 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostFranchi, on 27 September 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

Chris needed somewhere north of 20 million to make his game, he now has somewhere north of 20 million.

Yeah, the original kickstarter was just to prove interest in the game with a publisher covering the rest.

But after the goal was smashed during the kickstarter they aimed for 100% crowdfunded.

As you say, $20 million has been reached now and any additional funds now go towards additions to the game (previous stretch goals were things that were already in the game design).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users