Intelligent Hitboxes - The Return

318 replies to this topic

#1 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

So with the Introduction of the most recent mechs (Kintaro, Orion) I am having a lot of frustration when it comes to the hitboxes.

The Kintaro has been addressed and cleaned up, (TY PGI) but I feel the Orion could benefit from a more intelligent hitbox system itself. Outside of the Orion itself there are a few other mechs that could vastly benefit as well.

The simple easiest way to fix all mechs is apply these rules:

Rule 1: Destroying the Legs on a mech shouldn't kill it. The only way to kill a mech should be by killing it's engine or by killing the pilot (Head location).

Killing the legs shouldn't kill your mech. Only killing the Engine should kill your mech.

Kill 1 Leg - Reduces you to 15% movement for 5 secs then you are permanently reduced to 50% top speed. Additional hits on the legs won't hamper your speed at all.

Kill 2 legs - Knocks you down, you get back up and you are permanently reduced to 15% top speed for the rest of the game.

So yes, though it makes legs easier to hit but what it also does is makes your mech almost twice as hard to kill, even more so if they have a STD engine as once you kill a location it transfers damage inward to the CT.

Legs -> Side Torso -> CT.

Easy to Crack, Hard to kill.

Rule 2: A Mechs Center Torso hitbox should be equal or smaller than than the Side torsos

Now that we've extablished what needs to happen lets break down what the problem is in it's most basic form:

1. The Center Torso is the easiest location to hit on a mech.

Part of this issue is the Pelvis / Pelvic Area being counted as the CT

Posted Image

See here? I am torso twisted almost 120 degree's away from my attacker and they can still hit my ct, so all the torso twisting in the world means very little in this game which can end up being quite frustrating.

The best mechs with the best hitboxes as always the mechs where the CT is the equal to or smaller than the side torsos and ear marks them as a mech capable of taking damage and still remaining on their feet.

Not because they have more armor than another mech of it's size but because you have to peel it like an onion.

Arm --> Side torso --> Then finally CT.

All mechs should be set up a lot like this, especially when that players is doing he should be doing: Rolling the Torso.

Where a huge amount of the problem comes in, and this very much means you Mr. Orion is that even after you roll the torso people are still able to hit that massive Center Torso. Either by nailing that mech in the pelvic / pelvis area or by directly shooting the mechs Center torso because the arms / side torso's do not adequately cover the CT.

Lets get into some examples.

Here is what the Orion looks like right now:

Posted Image

As you can see that Torso is MASSIVE, more to the point even if trying to roll torso solves nothing as the Center torso still sticks out up above the torsos.

Posted Image

Even on both sides does the Center torso still stick out as absurdly big.

Posted Image

The rear torso has got to be one of the absolute worst hit boxes ever. That rear torso is Massive.

Posted Image

As you can see the Orion itself has a lot of problems with it. The Orion battlemech was renown for being tough, a good brawler and an excellent jack of all trades able to operate at any range.

But despite having 14 tons worth of armor the Orion dies after 75 points of damage because the CT is so large that enemy players can't help but hit it. Even good players that try and roll torso are still getting rocked directly in the CT.

There is some straight up realities when it comes to the Orion. The Orion doesn't make a good hill humper. The Jagermech, K2, Blackjack and others are always better. Like the Atlas the Orion has to expose a significant amount of it's torso to be able to clear the guns. And with the Orions massive "Forecastle" or hull that sticks up above making it a magnet for enemy fire.

But there are times when an Orion pilot is forced in that situation and simply has to make the best of it. I get it.

But that doesn't mean that we can't design intelligent hitboxes allowing the player to work within those limitations.

Lets look at how the Orion should be.

Posted Image

As you can see here the pelvis / pelvic area is split between the legs, as it should be. The side torso's are slightly bigger from the front and visually from the the front there isn't a whole lot of change. Anyone firing at the orion center mass will hit the CT.

Here is where the big change happens.

Posted Image

As we turn to the side we see that the actual side of what used to be the CT is now the Right torso. As it should be. If you compare to the picture above of the same view you can see what a massive change this make. Even from a 3/4 side view the CT is no longer the biggest hitbox but instead the Right torso is, as it should be.

Also you can see how the arm hitboxes stretch up the side of the left torso, this also makes sense as the shoulder actuators are housed there allowing a more intelligent and progressive hitbox view. As i said above, more peeling an Onion and rewards a pilot for torso twisting.

Posted Image

Now from the other side. This begins to just make all sorts of sense. The upper part of missile box now becomes part of the shoulder of the arm hitbox. The left torso now takes up what used to be part of the Center torso and allows a pilot to roll torso to spread damage.

Posted Image

Lastly what we see here is the rear torso.

Now there is no helping it, that rear side of the mech is one big billboard of space, but what we can do is be a little smarter about it by at least making the Rear Center Torso equal to the side torso's or smaller. Losing a side torso doesn't kill you (Unless you have a XL which is a risk you took when you bought it) but loosing the Rear Center torso will.

Peeling an Onion.

What the idea behind intelligent hitboxes means is essentially the "VIEW" you are looking at a mech should present the largets hitbox to be hit.

If I am looking at you directly from the left, the Left arm should be the biggest hitbox.

If I am looking at you from Front left, the Left torso should be the biggest hitbox.

If I am looking at you from straight on, the Center torso should be equal or smaller than the side torso's.

See where I am getting at?

Now if we take this design philosophy and lets apply it to a few other mechs.

The Dragon

Posted Image

As you can see here i made the ARM big taking up a big chunch of what used to be the side torso but also I extended that side torso down cover the left side of the mech.

It's OK to make Arms too big. Everyone expects arms to get blown off, it's apart of the Mechwarrior.

Why? Because once that arm does get blown off continued hits there will be transferred to the side torso. The target isn't taking less damage, he is still taking that damage but ultimately his mech is just becoming easier to crack but hard to kill.

Lets look at another example.

Posted Image

Cicada

See here on the cicada what I did, I made the Arm hit box a part of the side of the mech. It makes sense because that's where the Shoulder is, but also it makes sense because it gives cicada pilots a reason to pack armor in their arms.

Before arms were essentially useless as they never took a hit and did little to help the survivablity of the mech.

Next I extended the torso's down to be apart of the CT but like the orion in such a way as to be intelligent so it's only the biggest hitbox exposed when you are looking at it from that view.

The pelvis / pelvic area is also split between the legs as it should be.

I think the hitboxes on the cicada are very important as we have the locust comming out next month and it's design follows after the cicada in so many ways.

Last mech i'm showing

Posted Image

The Jenner.

Like the cicada's arms people finally have a reason to put armor on the jenners torso so the CT doesn't take the brunt of the damage.

Straight on of course the Jenner ct is at it's biggest, but this at least allows Jenner pilots to torso twist to start soaking damage in other locations.

So by this point probably a lot of people may not like this idea because they feel it will ruin a lot of their builds that rely upon XL engines.

Yes and No, The XL engine has always been a risk. A valid one because you save lots and lots tonnage by using it, but also and more to the point the Standard Engine will be a Valid choice as well.

The Combination of intelligent hitboxes and a Standard engine even a jenner could absorb an impressive amount of damage before finally going down. (Not HSR ghost damage either)

Feel free to post up your thoughts, but at the very least I hope it gets PGI thinking about hitboxes and the future.
----------
EDIT: Putting all mech designs for hitboxes located here:

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Carrioncrows, 22 October 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

While I still hope for a system using mor hitboxes than 7 - you post is well writen and makes sense.

#3 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

And the Awesome?

#4 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

Very well done.

#5 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 18 September 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

And the Awesome?

I will work up an awesome and throw it in here.

Posted Image

Like I said it's ok to have BIG ARMS, in the case of the Awesome it is renown for it. Those massive pauldrons just soaking damage. But even then, once the arm blows off that damage transfers to the side torso's.

The side torso look massive but also keep in mind you are looking at it from the 3/4 view, straight on the CT and side torso's are equal.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 18 September 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#6 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

Beautiful post and very well explained but...

The Awesome has had a fan base crying out for this kind of work for a very long time now and nothing has happened and the Kintaro was flat out broken rather than just borked hence why it got attention so fast.

So whilst I agree with most of your analysis of the hit boxes, and agree they need some tweeking I think as far as the developers are concerned they are working as planned and I doubt anything will change.

#7 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

Carrioncrows is full of win. The common sense flowing in his posts are addictive to bad it isn't contagious.

#8 Dreamslave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 18 September 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

I will work up an awesome and throw it in here.

Posted Image

Like I said it's ok to have BIG ARMS, in the case of the Awesome it is renown for it. Those massive pauldrons just soaking damage. But even then, once the arm blows off that damage transfers to the side torso's.

The side torso look massive but also keep in mind you are looking at it from the 3/4 view, straight on the CT and side torso's are equal.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

#9 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:16 AM

View PostRascula, on 18 September 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

Beautiful post and very well explained but...

The Awesome has had a fan base crying out for this kind of work for a very long time now and nothing has happened and the Kintaro was flat out broken rather than just borked hence why it got attention so fast.

So whilst I agree with most of your analysis of the hit boxes, and agree they need some tweeking I think as far as the developers are concerned they are working as planned and I doubt anything will change.

Well Ras, here is the thing.

PGI is coming back to do a Mech pass.

That includes Hardpoints, looks, weapon modules (how weapons changes depending on what's in it) ect ect.

It's all very intensive, which is why they are waiting till after UI 2.0 and community warfare because their modlers and animators are tied up atm getting phoenix ready to fly. Basiclly 4 chassis done in the space of 1. Not to mention the 2 later for Saber. That's six months worth of mechs, so it frees them up to do a mech pass. So once that's complete it will buy them time to go back and do a mech pass.

But it is coming.

My hope in regards to this post is to raise their awareness on the issue of hitboxes so that while they are doing the mech pass they can go ahead and redefine the hitboxes.

In the case of the Kintaro it was a major snafu that they had to address immediately which is why it got done.

But yes the Mech Pass is coming.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 19 September 2013 - 12:31 AM.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

great post man!

#11 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:26 AM

It'll be the death of every XL engine mech out there.

I wouldnt mind seeing the awesomes CT size cut down/adjusted a tiny bit. overall though just some tweaking is needed.

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 19 September 2013 - 12:27 AM.

#12 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 19 September 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

It'll be the death of every XL engine mech out there.

I wouldnt mind seeing the awesomes CT size cut down/adjusted a tiny bit. overall though just some tweaking is needed.

I don't think so. Not even a little bit because you can protect those locations now by torso twisting.

XL's have always been a risk, (as they should be) because the reward is so massive for running them.

But even then you can still twist to protect the damaged location. The whole intelligent hitboxes is more than just protecting a CT, but a way to reward players by having good piloting skills and situational awareness to stay up and functional and if that means protecting that side torso with your CT, you should be able to do it.

Personally I would gladly give up my XL mechs (catapult, dragon, jenner, ect ect) if it meant that mech would take more damage before going down.

Now the hitboxes changes I've made doesn't completely kill these mechs for XL's, they are still great for XL's. I've just made it have a bit more common sense.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 19 September 2013 - 01:15 AM.

#13 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

Wonderful post. Well argued, well illustrated, cogently explained. Well done.

As for "it will kill XL 'mechs"; no it won't. It's currently a no-brainer to use an XL in so many chassis precisely because the risk of getting ST-cored is so much less than the risk of getting CT-cored.

#14 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

Regarding XL engines and destruction of a mech while loosing the side torso....

do you think that rule should remain? Because there is no rule in game that destroy your mech when you got 3 critical hits in your engine or 2 critical hits in your gyroscope...or you can still walk while loosing a leg - so isn't the loosing of a mech while loosing a side torso acceptable?

#15 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 19 September 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

do you think that rule should remain? Because there is no rule in game that destroy your mech when you got 3 critical hits in your engine or 2 critical hits in your gyroscope...or you can still walk while loosing a leg - so isn't the loosing of a mech while loosing a side torso acceptable?

Well yes.

The rule was for Battle tech that you take 3 engine hits and you go down. The thing about the clans is that they only have 2 criticals in their side torso's so they can lose a side torso and still remain functional.

On a personal level, I believe that XL's should make you go pop if you lose a torso. It gives us a reason to run Standard, or else everyone would just min max. And that doesn't promote build diversity.

Now what I firmly beleive SHOULD happens is that destruction of both legs should NOT kill you.

Blow 1 leg, it slows you to 15% for 5 secs then 50% for the rest of the game. (extra hits on legs doesn't effect your speed after that inital 15%)

Blow 2 Legs off, it should knock you down and it takes a few moments for you to get up and then you are preminitely reduced to 15% speed.

As the only way to kill a mech should be through it's engine, whether that be an XL or a STD.

I am all for "easy to Crack, hard to kill" motto that should be the basis for MWO.

Nobody likes insta-gibs.

#16 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 19 September 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

Well Ras, here is the thing.

PGI is coming back to do a Mech pass.

That includes Hardpoints, looks, weapon modules (how weapons changes depending on what's in it) ect ect.

It's all very intensive, which is why they are waiting till after UI 2.0 and community warfare because their modlers and animators are tied up atm getting phoenix ready to fly. Basiclly 4 chassis done in the space of 1. Not to mention the 2 later for Saber. That's six months worth of mechs, so it frees them up to do a mech pass. So once that's complete it will buy them time to go back and do a mech pass.

But it is coming.

My hope in regards to this post is to raise their awareness on the issue of hitboxes so that while they are doing the mech pass they can go ahead and redefine the hitboxes.

In the case of the Kintaro it was a major snafu that they had to address immediately which is why it got done.

But yes the Mech Pass is coming.

I did not know this!.. In which case even more kudo's to you sir, i'm just hoping they look at the Awesome first!

View PostKarl Streiger, on 19 September 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

No... for the reasons Carrion Crow stated above

View PostCarrioncrows, on 19 September 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

XL's have always been a risk, (as they should be) because the reward is so massive for running them.

#17 Blue Hymn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 294 posts
  • LocationIn an Awesome, blasting you from a distance

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

It'll be great if the Mech Pass is actually coming.

I've been piloting the Awesome for almost a year now, during the phase when the community hated the Awesome for its easy-to-kill torso and its angular frame. Oh, the times when I almost never see another Awesome on the battlefield whenever I piloted mine. Granted, I've been seeing a bit more Awesomes on the field for the past few days - which is a welcome sight indeed, and if this mech pass can fix the issues that has been plaguing the mech itself, I would definitely welcome the change.

After some heavy testing with it, of course. For the time being, judging from the hitbox on the Orion...

Welcome, brother! Have a seat with us along with the Dragon while we wait for the Mech pass to come, hopefully soon.

Edited by Blue Hymn, 19 September 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#18 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

I like the idea of stretching the legs up into the bottom of the current CT hitboxes, on some mechs. I also like the idea of modifying some stupidly huge CTs. However, making all CTs small and legs huge is too radical. It would 1) make lights super easy to leg, and 2) make all bigger mechs play the same with XL engines essentially suicidal. In fact, no global solution comes to mind -- only limited tweaks would really make sense.

Edited by Modo44, 19 September 2013 - 02:00 AM.

#19 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:54 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 19 September 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

I am all for "easy to Crack, hard to kill" motto that should be the basis for MWO.

This is so beautifully put it almost brings a tear to my eye.

I most emphatically agree.

#20 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:59 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 19 September 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

On a personal level, I believe that XL's should make you go pop if you lose a torso. It gives us a reason to run Standard, or else everyone would just min max. And that doesn't promote build diversity.

Nobody likes insta-gibs.

Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

Wouldn't it be more the kind of game you like - when the loose of a raises heat for 2 points per second - and reduces the speed to 60%. (virtually removing your mech as effective war machine - not to mention the loose of a second side torso.... although it would be interesting when the arms didn't blow of when the side is gone.... because that means hardly anybody waste there time shooting at arms.

In this meaning - the damage transfer has to stop from legs towards CT.

However next to the size of the hit locations - i really hope that the values for armor is tweaked (i hardly know people but the light mechs that didn't remove armor from the legs)

Edited by Karl Streiger, 19 September 2013 - 02:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users