#301 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostRed squirrel, on 03 November 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

Thumbs up!
Especially the Awesome hitboxes you suggest would make this mech viable again.

But I also think you overdid it a bit. e.g. the Dragon just is a huge CT and should stay the way it is.
It is good that there are some mechs were XL engines work better because of the small side torsos.
And the Dragon is the archetype XL heavy.

With the Orion it is true that it is completely useless as a brawler which is really frustrating. But then I love my supprot Orions with large XL enigens. Never ever had a side troso kill (maybe once).

Finally, when the pelvic area becomes a leg hitbox maybe the best course of action would be to increase armor on the legs.
Because mechwarrior without killing mechs by legging is no mechwarrior. PGI already chose a very friendly approach letting you still walk with one leg.
But okay, you do not die when you lose your legs. maybe you are luckey and fall against a wall with your stalker - then you can still pew pew a bit ;)

XL should be a risk for all mechs. Some mechs may run it better than others and that's ok.

If you look at the actual hitboxes very little has changed for the dragon straight on, it still has that massive nose CT.

What does change is when you torso twist away and you take damage on the side of that big nose it counts as the side torso's. That's it.

Good marksman can still hit that CT, the big difference is that they will have to "AIM" for it, instead of just lobbing in shots.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 03 November 2013 - 03:56 AM.

#302 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

So in the end they have listened. http://mwomercs.com/...ction-feedback/

Let's hope they don't screw it up, if the Awesome would finally get the upper shoulder as part of the arm hitbox and a CT reduction, it will become a "normal" mech, or at least something not to be completely dead within just by bringing it. And maybe I'll re-consider the Orions, ditched asap at the first variant that I basic'd.

Good job Carrioncrows (and all the others that pushed for this hitbox discussions)!

#303 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Congrats man, it sounds like at least a partial implementation of what you cooked up is coming.

#304 maxmarechal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 551 posts
  • Locationnext to you...Bro...

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:38 AM

escellent work
thx for pushing forward this idea that legging should not kill a mech only cripple mouvement!!!!
and thumbs up for your neat job redesigning hitboxes :)

#305 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

Can't wait to see these hitbox diagrams with their thongs.

#306 Asbjorn Ironside

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAustralia, QLD

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

OP's idea is brilliant :ph34r:
As much as I hope this or something similar gets implemented I highly doubt PGI will do it :lol:

#307 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

@Red Squirrel: The Dragon CT in MW4 sort of sticks out, and when you turn to the side, when you are hit on the "side" of CT that sticks out it counts as a side torso hit just as carrion has drawn. That's how balancing hitboxes work in a 3D rendition of 'hitbox' zones in a Mech Warrior game (or rather how it should work)

#308 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

I fully agree with your points about arm, side torso and center torso sizes. However the problem I see here is that legging a mech would become very very effective and popular. And that's not fun. I think PGI would at least have to cut the legging penalties by a huge amount so you could still move around pretty effectively with just one leg.

#309 Cpt Leprechaun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

I approve of every hit box suggestion put in here the one for the jenner cicada and awesome would be nice to have. PGI please do this asap.

#310 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Legging both legs on a mech should definately kill it. If you can't stand all you can do I lay on your back, and you're as good as dead. If legging was usless then no one would do it.
I don't see many mechs getting legged anyway, except for lights because that's the only way to stop them

#311 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 19 November 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

Legging both legs on a mech should definately kill it. If you can't stand all you can do I lay on your back, and you're as good as dead. If legging was usless then no one would do it.
I don't see many mechs getting legged anyway, except for lights because that's the only way to stop them

How it is useless to turn a mech into a sitting duck? Even if the mech became immobile, at least they'd be able to shoot some before they died.

#312 Zomboyd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Australia...

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

i would like to see the crouch region on the mech be a complete separate hit box, and once it gets destroyed the mech can no longer torso twist and is stuck in the position it was in when it got destroyed. that or the torso twist speed is reduced to a very slow rate making it very hard for you to twist around and track enemys.

#313 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

Sorry but blowing both legs off should be a kill. no legs, no standing back up, its called a mobility kill in the real world. The mech will end up face down, not to mention all the issues with electrical shorts from the shredded cabling and hydraulic fluid failure. The pilot is also apparently directly neurologically linked to the machine so feed back would be impressively painful. A tank gets tracked and its out of the immediate fight. Blow the wheels off a LAV and its done. The weapon systems may still work fine but very rarely will the crew want to draw attention to themselves as still being in the fight without the ability to maneuver, so will shut down and await assistance unless directly threatened. In other words... out of the fight.

Not speaking as a civilian but as an 10 yr Ammo Tech and Soldier.

#314 Merit Lef

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

I wish we could follow this format and add this in the near future.

#315 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

Good job.

#316 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:24 AM

pelvis is CT because it is CT and legs are attached to it. the Trosi is divided into lower torso bearing the actuator to turn the upper torso. Don't make the pelvis beign legs, thats nonsense.

#317 Commander John Conway

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:03 AM

Best post I have ever seen.

#318 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

View Poststjobe, on 29 September 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

One thing I've reflected on while looking at these pictures from the perspective of a light pilot is that it's going to be even easier to leg lights with half the lower CT being legs as well.

I don't know if I feel that is a good thing.

Aren't legs one of the better armored parts of most medium and heavy mechs that rarely ever get targetted?

View PostKeira RAVEN McKenna, on 18 December 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

[Herp]

There's a not super great game called "Heavy Gear: Assault" where your mech can survive literally as long as just your center torso and head remain. You can wobble around on the ground, and you're expected to hop out and run away on foot back to the hanger if you manage to get into such a situation.
It's mildly funny to watch. Also Jenky.

I doubt piranha will implement this though. If they were going to, they would have done it for the viper patch, so they could make those extra $$$ from selling it. Currently the viper is kind of a joke because of the hilariously large CT.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for no implementing this was because of "art assets", because it's possible they implemented skeletal hitsectors and they can't change it without re-working how the model joints work on all the mechs.

Edited by Tibbnak, 16 July 2016 - 02:19 PM.

#319 Commander John Conway

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:30 AM

Yeah the orion's large chest makes it a very inefficient,good all arounder if it wasn't for that weakness. Tbh unless you like torturing yourselves don't bother buying one.

And this is from extensive tests I mastered them.

Edited by Commander John Conway, 21 July 2016 - 06:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users