Taking Damage From...... Nothing?

27 replies to this topic

#1 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

Ok.. im all for losing my mech, and weapons and such, from other players. But it starts getting a bit stupid when your mech suddenly starts falling apart... without ever getting hit.

Just had a match... im attacking an enemy mech from behind (i.e.. he's NOT facing me). He's currently occupied with trying to shoot a light that is paying tag with him, so i open up.

About 3 seconds later.. one of my MG's suddenly, and with no warning dies. Few seconds after that, my right torso takes 'critical damage'. Then my right arm takes damage. At this point i suddenly start getting 'hit-registrys' to my rear... only AFTER 1/2 of my mech was suddenly nearly destroyed.

What gives?

#2 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

One of his team-mates, or one of yours, ended up behind you and lit you up like a christmas tree. It's my favorite tactic playing lights--wait for a juicy big mech to engage with one of my own heavies, then get behind him and core him out.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

It doesn't sound like one, but there was an old bug dealing with lost packets, where you'd get desynched from the server entirely. During it you can act normal, but none of your hits will register on an enemy, and your "body" will register as being where the desynch happened, doing the same thing that happened before.

This means someone could find your real mech by the base and lay into you, or your 'real' mech could walk out of bounds even though you're in the center of the map when you start seeing the out of bounds warning.

That's what I thought might be happening at first, but yeah you started getting pelted from behind and might not have noticed (or got the indication) until after the fact.

#4 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

I do the same thing, even when piloting Assaults. If I know I'm coming up on someone's blindspot, I'll shoot them in the arms or legs initially, specifically because it's not obvious where the shot is coming from.

Of course, given that you're a legendary founder, I'm guessing you probably have seismic and everything else and are a reasonably competent player. So...spider with a PPC playing hide-and-seek from cover, maybe?

#5 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostHammerfinn, on 19 September 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

One of his team-mates, or one of yours, ended up behind you and lit you up like a christmas tree. It's my favorite tactic playing lights--wait for a juicy big mech to engage with one of my own heavies, then get behind him and core him out.

You missed the point were i was having NO.. 0.... absolutly no damage-detections untill AFTER 1/2 of my mech was already dead.

I didnt just get hit from behind, i was being damaged by something that did not exist BEFORE i started getting hit from the side/behind.

View PostKoniving, on 19 September 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

It doesn't sound like one, but there was an old bug dealing with lost packets, where you'd get desynched from the server entirely. During it you can act normal, but none of your hits will register on an enemy, and your "body" will register as being where the desynch happened, doing the same thing that happened before.

This means someone could find your real mech by the base and lay into you, or your 'real' mech could walk out of bounds even though you're in the center of the map when you start seeing the out of bounds warning.

That's what I thought might be happening at first, but yeah you started getting pelted from behind and might not have noticed (or got the indication) until after the fact.

Yea, it wasnt packet-losses... i was registering hits on the other mech i was shooting at as i was shooting, so it wasnt a desync error.

View PostDawnstealer, on 19 September 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

I do the same thing, even when piloting Assaults. If I know I'm coming up on someone's blindspot, I'll shoot them in the arms or legs initially, specifically because it's not obvious where the shot is coming from.

Of course, given that you're a legendary founder, I'm guessing you probably have seismic and everything else and are a reasonably competent player. So...spider with a PPC playing hide-and-seek from cover, maybe?

Someone mentioned useing a PPC, but last i checked, even those give a 'damage' indicator when your hit by them.

Again, i was taking damage 'before' i ever got even 1 single 'blip' of a hit on my screen.

Unless PPC's now give no indication at all that you are being hit by them.

#6 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

I know that sometimes when I get hit it doesn't shake the cockpit or play any sound, but I've never had a problem with the paperdoll not working or the red indicators not working. However, the paperdoll is slow to update and if you got hit by something like a gauss rifle, the indicator will have a very narrow cone of direction of fire (compared to lasers that splash all over everything). Perhaps you were too occupied to notice?

#7 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Lag plus dropped packet. It does happen occasionally to any twitch based Game.

Either you or the shooter dropped a packet (attack beginning) while you/shooter were also at high latency (ping).

Probably the shooter in this instance but it can happen in reverse. Every once in awhile I forget and leave utorrent open and then either MS update starts or AV updates occur while I'm playing and I'll get a temporary screw up just like you describe.

#8 MoonfireSpam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

I've had it happen due to what feels like wierd HSR.

Miss is registered initially (no no screen shake etc), then damage gets added once HSR catches up.

#9 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostRhapsody Repine, on 19 September 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Ok.. im all for losing my mech, and weapons and such, from other players. But it starts getting a bit stupid when your mech suddenly starts falling apart... without ever getting hit.

Just had a match... im attacking an enemy mech from behind (i.e.. he's NOT facing me). He's currently occupied with trying to shoot a light that is paying tag with him, so i open up.

About 3 seconds later.. one of my MG's suddenly, and with no warning dies. Few seconds after that, my right torso takes 'critical damage'. Then my right arm takes damage. At this point i suddenly start getting 'hit-registrys' to my rear... only AFTER 1/2 of my mech was suddenly nearly destroyed.

What gives?

I've has a Gauss shot clearly go through my rear torso, and take out my head in my Jenner before.

I've had my mechs take damage from nothing (trust me, I looked around as soon as I started taking damage, and it kept coming from random directions and didn't show up with a damage indicator nor sound effects).

I don't know what happens either, and it's happened to me before in spots where there really was no one nearby. I'd just take screen shots if you can of it when you see it happen, report the match as bugged to support, and go on. There is a problem somewhere as I've seen this too and was wondering myself if it was just me getting it.

It really is strange when it does happen.

View PostMoonfireSpam, on 19 September 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

Miss is registered initially (no no screen shake etc), then damage gets added once HSR catches up.

Most likely cause, or some other bug, as it has happened to me when no one was nearby to damage me.

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 19 September 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

I know that sometimes when I get hit it doesn't shake the cockpit or play any sound, but I've never had a problem with the paperdoll not working or the red indicators not working. However, the paperdoll is slow to update and if you got hit by something like a gauss rifle, the indicator will have a very narrow cone of direction of fire (compared to lasers that splash all over everything). Perhaps you were too occupied to notice?

I've had no sound or shake sometimes when I know I am clearly taking damage, and other times I seem to get pronounced extra shake when taking damage.

However, when I have a problem similar to what the OP is talking about, I get no red damage direction indicator, or sound, no shake, no visible weapons fire (or opponents) nearby... I just take damage to spots all over from all directions. After it "passes" in a match, I normally am fine from the mystery damage for the rest of the match, if it doesn't kill me that is.

#11 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

This just happened to me tonight...several times, in fact. No damage indicator, no sounds, nothing. The only way I knew I was taking damage was when "Betty" decided to tell me an arm fell off. Turns out a Jenner was laying his 6xML's into me, but there was absolutely no indication (no red around the HUD, no noise, no shake, nothing.) Smells like a bug to me.

#12 WM Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 171 posts
  • LocationQuit breaking the game, or changing irrelevant stuff and fix the bugs from closed beta.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostMoonfireSpam, on 19 September 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

Had a clean leg on a victor disappear last night same way. No damage, no hits, then 60 points of armor gone and I was limping along. No warning. No previous damage. That was a first for me. Weird thing was nobody was around me at the time or had been to have presented the lag damage.

Definitely strange.

#13 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Atleast i know im not the only one having it happen.

As ive said. Its not a 'damage over time' type thing were i start to see parts of my mech slowly being dropped as if i was taking fire. One millisecond, im fine. Next millisecond, my mech tells me a MG has been destroyed. From full armor/hp.

No damage hit, not indication that i was hit. No sound, no light, no indicator (no, not even one 1cm wide, there was no red at all on my screen), and the only enemy mech anywhere near me was the one with his back to me shooting at the light who was running away.

Edited by Rhapsody Repine, 19 September 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostRhapsody Repine, on 19 September 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Atleast i know im not the only one having it happen.

As ive said. Its not a 'damage over time' type thing were i start to see parts of my mech slowly being dropped as if i was taking fire. One millisecond, im fine. Next millisecond, my mech tells me a MG has been destroyed. From full armor/hp.

No damage hit, not indication that i was hit. No sound, no light, no indicator (no, not even one 1cm wide, there was no red at all on my screen), and the only enemy mech anywhere near me was the one with his back to me shooting at the light who was running away.

Watching the recordings of matches I played tuesday, since actually playing is not an option most days and that way I can possibly learn something >.>

Point being in one match I found myself targeting a Cicada - with no internals on it's left arm - outer armor was fine, but the internal was blackened out as if destroyed....

Perhaps that was a similar occurrence?

#15 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 19 September 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Watching the recordings of matches I played tuesday, since actually playing is not an option most days and that way I can possibly learn something >.>

Point being in one match I found myself targeting a Cicada - with no internals on it's left arm - outer armor was fine, but the internal was blackened out as if destroyed....

Perhaps that was a similar occurrence?

Could be, or he overheated himself so much he blew up the internals of his arm? Was any other parts of his internal structure damaged while still having armor?

This could be a sign of the problem, or just simple overheating. More info?

#16 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostTesunie, on 19 September 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Could be, or he overheated himself so much he blew up the internals of his arm? Was any other parts of his internal structure damaged while still having armor?

This could be a sign of the problem, or just simple overheating. More info?

Right arm was gone.... Center and right torso had no armor left, (had clearly been mauled from the right side) but center was still fine for internals, Left torso had orange-ish armor, but fine internals - which is why I brought it up

At the time I had noticed his mauled right-side and was trying to maneuver my commando to that side - and he was trying to keep me away from that side - so I did not really notice his arm.

...Should have specified all that the first time, huh? >.<

#17 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 19 September 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

Right arm was gone.... Center and right torso had no armor left, (had clearly been mauled from the right side) but center was still fine for internals, Left torso had orange-ish armor, but fine internals - which is why I brought it up

At the time I had noticed his mauled right-side and was trying to maneuver my commando to that side - and he was trying to keep me away from that side - so I did not really notice his arm.

...Should have specified all that the first time, huh? >.<

Would have been helpful... yeah. Should have mentioned that.

Looks like actual evidence of the problem. Might want to send the video (if you can) to PGI support on the problem. If you wish to that is.

#18 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostTesunie, on 19 September 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Looks like actual evidence of the problem. Might want to send the video (if you can) to PGI support on the problem. If you wish to that is.

Would but I have issues with uploading things to the great massive interweb - as in I have yet to manage to actually do it.

Am working on that though :(

It is not the only vid I want to send to PGI for bug-hunting purposes - I have another of a match in whatever the desert map is where Epsilon wouldn't let us cap it - me and 2-jenners/1-raven standing on it and the meter won't budge... :)

I would complain about the amount of bugs I find - but every game I own is just as buggy - cannot finish the copy of Assassins creed my sister gave me for Christmas last year cause of all the bugs :) (literally cannot get out of the prologue section - dude keeps launching himself off cliffs when I push the climb button - jump is halfway across the keyboard!)
And that's one of the AAA-MUST-HAVE titles of the past few years no?
(let alone the issues I have with OTHER "AAA" titles :()

Edit: apparently doesn't like my nickname for the other game - who-da thunk? ;)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 19 September 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#19 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 19 September 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

Would but I have issues with uploading things to the great massive interweb - as in I have yet to manage to actually do it.

Am working on that though :(

It is not the only vid I want to send to PGI for bug-hunting purposes - I have another of a match in whatever the desert map is where Epsilon wouldn't let us cap it - me and 2-jenners/1-raven standing on it and the meter won't budge... :)

I would complain about the amount of bugs I find - but every game I own is just as buggy - cannot finish the copy of Assassins creed my sister gave me for Christmas last year cause of all the bugs :) (literally cannot get out of the prologue section - dude keeps launching himself off cliffs when I push the climb button - jump is halfway across the keyboard!)
And that's one of the AAA-MUST-HAVE titles of the past few years no?
(let alone the issues I have with OTHER "AAA" titles :()

Edit: apparently doesn't like my nickname for the other game - who-da thunk? ;)

Youtube maybe? Think you could load it for free there?
Photobucket maybe?
Email should be able to attach the files, if PGI can read and play the file that is of course. Have to try and see if you can save it as a more common file format?

Also, this "bug" you recorded could also be a "paperdoll didn't update properly" bug. Not likely from what I am hearing, but it is possible.

Most any game has some bugs. PGi has a lot, but the game is only two years old. Most finished games you buy (for like PS3 or single player games) was in development for 3-5 years. 2 years is young for development. And, if I was correct, they have been having this game in a "playable" state for most of those two years. Not to mention, with any multilayer games, every patch tends to have bugs and glitches involved. I have yet to see a glitch/bug free game, especially one that takes patches.

#20 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostTesunie, on 19 September 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Youtube maybe? Think you could load it for free there?
Photobucket maybe?
Email should be able to attach the files, if PGI can read and play the file that is of course. Have to try and see if you can save it as a more common file format?

Have not actually tried uploading the vids - have tried with various images though (photobucket wouldn't let me make an account - never found out why - )

Haven't tried emailing it - though with my limited bandwidth and the size of the videos (smallest one is 4+gigs!) I am hesitant to blow what are probably several hours playtime with a video >.>
Could take stills out of the video to show them the cicada, but that would not be very informative with the Epsilon issue... coudl try clipping that part of the video, but I do not have much experience with any of that /shrug.

As for the games being buggy - I have little problem with that, it has been my experience that this is one of the least buggy games I have played, and I think am well aware of what they are working with (time/money/people/etc) but am willing to admit I do not actually 'know' anything :(

Heck - most of the other 'free to play' games I have tried (all like... 3 of them?) didn't have any more than this at their launches either, so please don't take what I say about the bugs as criticism. (trying not to white-knight - PGI is hardly the best company out there, but I feel they are far from the worst either)

While my preferred genre is actually the strategy-rpg (disgaea, front mission, FFT, fire emblem....) Mechwarrior has been my favorite Videogame series... period!

I aint aiming to leave for anything else any time soon - Looking forward to seeing where it goes :)

...I may actually have to try emailing i to them though ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users