24 replies to this topic

#21 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

I would doubt it, as in the previous mechwarrior games that allowed full costomization people simply boated the maximum efficiency of whatever weapon they preffered, and PGI is actively trying to prevent that - as it does kind of limit the variety that adds longevity to multi-player arena type games such as this one.

#22 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostGurimwulf, on 21 September 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

I see. I would have thought that having a Mech Lab allowed one to change your mech which thereby allowed you to make a different variant. Thus, a Mech Lab should allow you to purchase modifications/hardpoints/equipment/etc. Maybe down the line? Or perhaps they could make it where once House Factions are up and running...we could utilize their House Mech Labs that allowed for such things. Like when one House (Kurita) specializes in lets say the Dragon mechs....their Mech Labs have the technicians and mechanics that could do it. Would be interesting.

Again, that's what HARD point means, it's hard mounted onto the chasis. If there's one variant of a mech with ballistic arms, and one with energy, but you could exchange the energy hard points for ballistic ones, they why bother having the two variants at all? Why bother having ANY variants or different mechs of the same weight. If you could do as you want, then all we'd need is one mech for each tonnage and that would be SOOO boring.

#23 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Also, having to buy a different variant allows for the pilot to learn a slightly different playstyle (potentially) while grinding. Otherwise nobody would run a Raven 2X, at least not the way PGI wants them to be equipped.

#24 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

Well... there are mechs that can switch out their loadouts fairly easily, they are called Clan Mechs. They aren't in game... yet. They are coming soon-ish. Not sure when, just... soon-ish.

#25 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostJohnny Marek Summers, on 21 September 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Well... there are mechs that can switch out their loadouts fairly easily, they are called Clan Mechs. They aren't in game... yet. They are coming soon-ish. Not sure when, just... soon-ish.

There is a theory that the Clan Omni-mechs are going to be more customize-able that Inner Sphere ones, but not to the extent that you can just do whatever you want.

My guess is that Omni-Mechs can be bought using real world money or using Clan points, but the different builds you want to try will cost you more.

The term used in the board game is Pod Space. Pods can be swapped out in the field and a laser boat on Monday can be a missile boat on Tuesday. The Clans did develop standardized builds they called Prime configuration, Alpha Configuration, Beta configuration, ect.

To me this means you can buy hardpoint layouts for the different body locations and mix and match those, and then go and put in the weapons you want after you setup the hardpoint/pod space to your liking.

But you will never be able to mount 50 machineguns on a heavy Omni-mech as there won't be any Pod Space (aka hard points) that have that many ballistic slots in the game.

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 25 September 2013 - 01:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users