The Best Idea For Adding Variety That I've Seen Is...

23 replies to this topic

Poll: Well... (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we need randomized drop points?

1. Yes, full randomization. (31 votes [44.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.29%

2. Yes, but weighted drops would do it. (12 votes [17.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

3. Yes, but the points would have to be paired. (20 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

4. No, it would lead to imbalanced matches. (2 votes [2.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

5. No, it's fine now. (3 votes [4.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.29%

6. No, it would kill any tactics we have. (2 votes [2.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

Changing the drops from always "sigma" and "gamma" to randomized drops at any designated conquest point for match start.

Right now, the drops are a bit stale, and the strategies are becoming canonical (whether they should or not.) Having to actually determine the enemy base and concoct a unique plan of attack based on positioning (even if asymmetrical or disadvantageous) would add a lot to the tactical nature of the game.

I'd even be fine with weighted percentages on drops (like, 40% gamma/sigma, 20% theta/epsilon/kappa) if it would at least occasionally add variety to the optimal strategy for a single game.

Even adding sets of pairs to prevent imbalanced starting positions (say, sigma/gamma, epsilon/kappa, theta/gamma, etc. depending on the map) would at least add a bit more tactical decision-making.

I've often been accused of being a {Noble MechWarrior}, but even for me, the matches are becoming a tad too predictable. I mean, I still have fun in almost every drop, but it would be MORE fun if we had to make actual tactical decisions on a map, instead of following the majority-determined "best" strategy.

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

Sounds good for a TEAM.
But its near complete chaos on "random" teams because we don't have sufficent in game communication....

#3 Thomas Dziegielewski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere - St.Ives - CERES METALS, AAlcadis Revised Underground Complex, B5

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Already proto-typed, just need time to polish. I called it Conquest Random cuz I suck at naming things.

The bases remain the same but the middle points get turned off randomly.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostThomas Dziegielewski, on 25 September 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

Already proto-typed, just need time to polish. I called it Conquest Random cuz I suck at naming things.

sounds promising - Conquest Random isn't the worst name :)

#5 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

AWESOME!

Thanks for the response, glad to hear it's in the pipeline!

#6 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

What you're saying here also sounds interesting, but it's not what the OP was suggesting.

I believe the OP was suggesting that "Assault" games get their "base" points and coinciding drop points randomized from among the available "Conquest" base locations.

This way you have to take stock of what you get when you hit the dirt.

#7 Thomas Dziegielewski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere - St.Ives - CERES METALS, AAlcadis Revised Underground Complex, B5

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

We'll have a internal playtest today on Conquest Random and what turned out to be King of the Hill when u turn off the home bases as well.

I'm guessing the former will be fun especially when one of the middle bases is closer to the other team. I'm predicting it will turn a little into Attack/Defend at that point.

#8 Almeras

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 294 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

In warhammer online they had this:

"Reikland Factory:

4 cap points. 1 centre 3 orbital. The central point give more points over time than the 3 outter points

Capturing the Steam Tank Plant (centre) is not a guaranteed road to victory in this Scenario. It's very tempting to capture this location and hole up inside, but if you do that and allow the other team to capture the other locations, you will lose. Capturing all three of the outer area locations will net you more points over time than the SteamTank Plant alone. A smart team will capture the Steam Tank Plant PLUS one of the other three capture locations. Be warned though, holding more than one capture location in this Scenario will be a challenge, given the size of this map!"

#9 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

how is there not a free for all yet

#10 Chou Senwan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

I love the idea of random starting points. It inspired me to brainstorm a way to spice things up even more. I know it would require a bit more programming work, but I think I have an idea to take Conquest Random and really up the strategy:

Conquest Strategic
Each game, your team starts at different randomly-determined cap points. Each cap point has one of the following 'bases.' They are distributed randomly each game, so there's always a different set of goals. Also, it encourages lights to rush out and scout, to let the team know which base is at which cap point.

The bases are:

• Airfield. If you control this cap point, your team gets access to an air strike, which any member can launch, and that recharges every 60 seconds.

• Artillery Battery. As above, but with an artillery strike.

• Drone Base. Every 60 seconds someone on your team can launch a UAV. (Honestly, I'd rather they be able to pull up the battlegrid and put a UAV anywhere on the map, but that functionality's not in the game yet.)

• Resource Collector. If you control this cap point, your airstrikes, artillery barrages, and drones recharge 50% faster.

• Dropship. If your mech has been destroyed and your team controls this dropship (and there's not an enemy in the cap zone contesting control), you can enter a new mech, which launches 30 seconds later. The dropship contains whichever 4 mechs are the current trial mechs. After a player launches, it takes 60 seconds before someone else can use this option.
I've no idea how hard this would be to implement, but the special abilities are already in the game (aside from Dropship, which could be replaced with another resource collector maybe, or just a spot that plays the Heavy Metal victory music on a loop. I imagine modeling a runway isn't that hard, and the artillery would just need to be an immobile longtom cannon for now.

What do you think?

Edited by Chou Senwan, 27 September 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#11 Snowseth

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

When will these internal playtests be placed on the public test server?

You have a massive resource of players with plenty of feedback ... plenty of feedback ... to give.

#12 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

Randomization in general is bad for competition. Don't do it. The last thing we need is more diceroll victories....

Edited by PEEFsmash, 27 September 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#13 Fooooo

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:53 AM

Rather than randomization, why not just have preset points like people have suggested waaaaaaay back.

IE, Your assaults start more towards the "front" , heavys behind etc etc. I guess the main problem there is 1 assault on a team would be all alone for a bit until the rest of the team either caught up or something else....

From that I guess maybe lance drop points. IE, each lance starts somewhere different.

Say on assault alpine, 1 lance starts a little infront of their main base. 1 Lance starts waaaay to the west, (somewhat near that hill for the South side team) and 1 lance starts where....theta would be in conquest is it ?

Basically, on the larger maps, split the drop points for the lances. Somewhat preventing the blob in a way, but also giving more options & hopefully making more use of the maps.

Do all your lances regroup somewhere ?
Do the flanking lances just press forward while the middle lance holds the centre ? (meaning there would be 3 skirmishes of 4v4's basically.)

Meh, probably needs better explaining but yea.... :D

Edited by Fooooo, 28 September 2013 - 12:56 AM.

#14 Inkarnus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 27 September 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Randomization in general is bad for competition. Don't do it. The last thing we need is more diceroll victories....

**** a guy who posts penises in Twitch launch event has no opinion to have
you are the kind of player that wouldnt move an inch out of its Camphole if he wouldnt
be forced via random things
adapt and overcome oh wait that would mean work and clear thinking gosh

Edited by Inkarnus, 28 September 2013 - 01:19 AM.

#15 Chronojam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

View PostThomas Dziegielewski, on 27 September 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

We'll have a internal playtest today on Conquest Random and what turned out to be King of the Hill when u turn off the home bases as well.

I'm guessing the former will be fun especially when one of the middle bases is closer to the other team. I'm predicting it will turn a little into Attack/Defend at that point.

We've been asking for this for months. Since conquest came out, really. So hooray, I guess, but what took so long?

Was this just simply never noticed as a suggestion, never internally brainstormed? Or was it suggested internally/externally but somehow there was managerial pushback?

#16 Nick REX Trebla

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

No. It will be even more messy that this thing is now. What about if a foe Atlas is just powering up on the back of your Jenner?

#17 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:07 AM

View PostInkarnus, on 28 September 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

**** a guy who posts penises in Twitch launch event has no opinion to have
you are the kind of player that wouldnt move an inch out of its Camphole if he wouldnt
be forced via random things
adapt and overcome oh wait that would mean work and clear thinking gosh

I wouldn't mind allot of randomness. The bigger the range of options the better. But I can see why competitive players dislike random. It makes the comparison it hard to say that all else being equal one player or group of players is better then another one.

Edited by Hauser, 28 September 2013 - 03:08 AM.

#18 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

Based Thomas. This is why you're my favorite PGI fella. (Also because when I see you on my team I know I won't have to carry your weight.)

#19 Inkarnus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

View PostHauser, on 28 September 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind allot of randomness. The bigger the range of options the better. But I can see why competitive players dislike random. It makes the comparison it hard to say that all else being equal one player or group of players is better then another one.

The randomness in this case doesnt change the fact that its still the same map
except if it would give a team an unfair advantage. As long as it just changes the way
the map is played there can be no real objection put against the randomness.
A truly Competitive team doesnt fear change only the FOTMs fear change.

#20 Armageddon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

To be honest, Free For All and Team Death Match would be simple game modes that everyone wants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users