Maps, Heat, And You!

22 replies to this topic

#1 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

As we all know some maps are hotter or cooler than others. No surprise there! I used to think that some of the differences were related to Fast Fire and my Mastery of some mechs. Then I discovered the fact that Fast Fire doesn't work at all.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2726475

Since then I've wanted to conduct a detailed study of the Maps and Heat. This is the PRELIMINARY results of that study.

Methodology
Spoiler

Known Issues
Spoiler

The Results

Heat Neutral Maps
  • Forest Colony
  • Canyon Network
  • River City
  • River City Night
  • Crimson Strait
Cold Maps
  • Forest Colony Snow (+20% Dissipation, +20% Capacity)
  • Alpine Peaks (+25% Dissipation, +25% Capacity)
  • Frozen City (+25% Dissipation, +25% Capacity)
  • Frozen City Nights (+25% Dissipation, +25% Capacity)
Hot Maps
  • Caustic Valley (-15% Dissipation, -10% Capacity)
  • Terra Therma (-25% Dissipation, -20% Capacity)
  • Tourmaline Desert (-15% Dissipation, -10% Capacity)
Hot Spots
  • Caustic Valley Caldera (APPROXIMATION! -40% Dissipation, -30% Capacity)
  • Terra Therma Caldera* (APPROXIMATION! -60% Dissipation, -12% Capacity)
*On the platform not in the Lava. I didn't test the Lava because it is pretty darn obvious that being there is very bad and firing a weapon there is very dumb.

Notes: I need to go through all my numbers again and of course this means more time in Frame by Frame joy with Movie Maker. I need to clean up my spreadsheet and then I can post that as well. I need to figure out what is making Movie Maker refuse to Save my Movie so perhaps I can share that as well.

SPECIAL NOTE: If a Dev feels like swinging by and just giving us the answers now that I've done all this work that'd be great. I do understand if none of them want to do this. After all, so much more fun seeing players drive themselves insane probing the deeper mysteries. I'm not demanding anything here. I'm just... you know... saying... if you happen to be reviewing that section of code while making Island City... feel free... 'kay?

EDIT: DSHS and Number of HS tests complete. No change. The Capacity and Dissipation modifications on the Maps are plain vanilla Percentages.

EDIT: Added Crimson Strait which is a Heat Neutral Map

Edited by scJazz, 04 October 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#2 Jaegerwulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

I think the term you are looking for for the hotspots on caustic valley and terra therma is caldera?

#3 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostJaegerwulf, on 25 September 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

I think the term you are looking for for the hotspots on caustic valley and terra therma is caldera?

*FACEPALM*

SUPER EDIT: How fitting I get this as my 1337 post. So 1337 I can't even remember simple English.

Edited by scJazz, 25 September 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#4 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

So, did you try again with a different number of heat sinks to see if it adds flat dissipation or an effective number of heat sinks?

#5 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Good job buddy!

#6 RuzzBot

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Wow, talk about dedication.. Nice work!

#7 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

Very well done indeed, jazz.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

So, by the sound of it, the actual temperature of a map doesn't really matter. Just what they set the percentages of the dissipation and capacity. (And so they screwed with capacity here too).

#9 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostKoniving, on 26 September 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

So, by the sound of it, the actual temperature of a map doesn't really matter. Just what they set the percentages of the dissipation and capacity. (And so they screwed with capacity here too).

Yeah... I half suspected as much when I read somewhere that the Temp reading on the Match Start Screen was just fluff.

Yes... they did mess with capacity as well bud. I know, I know, I know I can hear the scream of frustration from here and you are on the other side of the Eastern Seaboard!

#10 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

Damn good work Jazz!!

This information is great to have when playing Theory Machine in the mechlab (would be cool to have that info put into the mechlab if possible wink, wink). The capacity modifications is somewhat unexpected, but makes sense. This info is going to be REALLY BIG if/when you can choose the map or at least have an idea of what map before you choose a mech. I'm curious if some maps have colder spots on them, like the cave in Frozen City. If so then it would add a very detailed set of tactics for the maps with slightly cooler areas and slightly warmer areas.

View PostscJazz, on 26 September 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Yes... they did mess with capacity as well bud. I know, I know, I know I can hear the scream of frustration from here and you are on the other side of the Eastern Seaboard!

Oh good, I thought it was just me that was hearing that. :huh:

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostscJazz, on 26 September 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

It got added to the list of things I would have done differently while using PGI's original design pillars (which seem all but abandoned).

#12 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Wow, nice job, thanks for your time spent testing all that! That is damn useful information.

#13 Kennoir

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

What a tedious work. Well done! Is there a way for us to see the graphs? Or can you send me the raw data? I´d like to play with some of those numbers.

#14 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostKennoir, on 28 September 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

What a tedious work. Well done! Is there a way for us to see the graphs? Or can you send me the raw data? I´d like to play with some of those numbers.

I'm having CODEC problems with the video so right now it is 25 GB of raw FRAPS. Let me clean things up and then I'll post links/youtube... whatever.

#15 Kennoir

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:24 AM

Thank you. I trust you to analyse the videos of course. But I´d like to see your numbers, if at all possible. Though i am not a very good statistician, i enjoy making sense out of numbers

#16 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostKennoir, on 29 September 2013 - 04:24 AM, said:

Thank you. I trust you to analyse the videos of course. But I´d like to see your numbers, if at all possible. Though i am not a very good statistician, i enjoy making sense out of numbers

FTR, scJazz is somewhat respected around here. I would leave off the "somewhat" but he has a big enough ego as it is. Don't need him thinking he is the next Koniving or anything! B)

#17 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:19 AM

This is amazing work. I applaud your endeavors. Was wondering if there is anything we can do to help.

#18 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:37 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 29 September 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

FTR, scJazz is somewhat respected around here. I would leave off the "somewhat" but he has a big enough ego as it is. Don't need him thinking he is the next Koniving or anything! <_<

It was Koniving who taught me :(

#19 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

This post swims in a sea of awesome. Well done, man!

#20 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

*On the platform not in the Lava. I didn't test the Lava because it is pretty darn obvious that being there is very bad and firing a weapon there is very dumb.

I won a fight against a bigger mech from down in the lava, there was only a few of us left ( me been last of my team) critical core no arms and just two medium lasers and two sets srm streaks left to fight with. he was up on platform and in better health than me.
I shut down only once but survived it to return fire and win, sadly his buddy got to our cap and a centurion just couldn't cover the distance or I would of had a go at him too. team mates on text were saying it was a 4x balistic jager.

great game ^_^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users