74 replies to this topic

#1 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hi all. I've been grinding away at my Victors and I have nearly all of the elites done for all of them. I am not completely happy with the Victor, so my question really is twofold. 1) Is there a good build that works for them and 2) Do I really need more than one, or is there one that's clearly the best to make whatever build is suggested. Thanks in advance, Mailin.

#2 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Only you can answer these questions. Many of us have found builds that work ridiculously well on Victors, while some others haven't. Ultimately, I guess it's a play style preference thing. All I can really offer is that if you don't like the Victors, there's no need to keep them. There are plenty of other mechs with overlapping capabilities.

#3 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Wise words NRP. One of my favorite mechs is a fast victor with JJ's. Either as a quick brawler (ac20+srm6+srm4+2 med lasers, and XL 360. Or as a nonstop ballistic support mech 3 AC2's and 2 med lasrs and alot of ammo and DHS 360XL. Regardless of what build you use, victors are able to carry XL engines becase of their amazing ability to roll damage huge arms, JJ's, and decent mobility. Hope some of this helps.

#4 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

Brawling is finally viable in the current meta, and the Victor is very good at it.

My personal opinion; the AC20 is critical to the Victor being successful, so the 9K and the Dragon Slayer are sub-par. I don't own the DS, but the 9K can be okish without out it, so not completely bad.

As for the other two; DHS, ES, AC20, some srms, couple of mlas, XL350, 4 jump jets, max armor. Keep in mind that 3-4 tons of ammo is more than enough for the cannon, and you'll rarely need more that 1 ton for srms (maybe 2 if you do the 3x6).

#5 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

(Yes) XL + AC-20 + 2 LLAS + misc (2) No

#6 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

The DS and 9K are still a really good jump snipers, if that's your thing. And there is a 9B ballistic build that is actually better than using an AC/20 (hint: AC/10+AC/2+AC/2).

#7 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostNRP, on 26 September 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

(hint: AC/10+AC/2+AC/2).

Interesting... I'll have to try that next time I get bored.

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

So it looks like my first mistake was not equipping an XL engine. Thanks for the suggestions guys. If you had all three (I do) and wanted to keep just one, which would it be, and why? Also, I do not have, nor will I get a hero mech because I already have enough and more on the way, so that's not an option.

Edited by mailin, 26 September 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#9 The Blazer of Lasers

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationIn a peaceful meadow on terra pondering the meaning of flamers.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

3 AC 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

If I could only keep one, I'd probably keep the 9S because I think it's a better straight up brawler. However, I would also keep the 9B because its 3 ballistic hard points allow for some interesting alternatives that no other Victor can do.

#11 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Sometimes the Victor feels more like a heavy than an Assault. I've got Highlanders in addition to Victors, so it's not the jump jets. Throwing a 350+ engine into a Victor and running around is lots of run. It doesn't quite have a Highlander's or Atlai's damage soaking ability, but can still be a lethal machine.

My favourite is the 9B. Someone up above suggested something very close to my build, the only difference is the Engine. AC/20, 2 MLs, SRM6 & SRM4, 4 JJs & XL 350. Fast, powerful & smashes faces in. You can also switch it up to paired uAC/5s or triple AC/2s. In these cases though I suggest dropping down to like a 280 since DPS mechs need to face their enemies more and they tend to get their ST blown off. Nothing more frustrating then having a largely intact mech, but being downed very early because someone got some lucky shots in and took out one of your STs.

The 9S plays very much like the 9B for me. The one less ballistic slot means no triple AC/2s, but it can still do AC/20 & dual uAC/5s. You get an extra missile hard point, but since it's only 2 tubes unless you're running streaks, it's not worth it (to me).

The other fun one is the 9K. I load that up with an LB-10/X, ER PPC, 2 MLs, 2 SRM4s. XL350, 4 JJs. It's not quite face smash territory of the AC/20, but you've got very long reach with the PPC, the SRMs can really peel off armour and then the LB-10/X can do it's work annihilating equipment and internals.

#12 Psikez

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

Arm UAC5/AC5/AC2 or my old stand by the AC20 + 2 LPL...but I'm kind of insane :)

#13 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

Victor 9s is so fun as a brawler, I'm going to save up for the Dragon Slayer to use as a mid to long range striker support which I have a lot of fun with on my atlas. If the DS can equip the same weapons as my atlas DDC that will just be too awesome even without the ecm.

#14 Candun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 124 posts
  • Locationpotland oilgon

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

if you cant find a good build for a victor...you arent looking hard enough ,the victor is a GREAT mech, fast,tough,and can deal some damage

#15 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostThe Blazer of Lasers, on 26 September 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

3 AC 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That build is a damn blast to play.! With lots of armor and ammo and heatsinks you can fire 3 until your enemies dies or runs. :)

View PostCandun, on 26 September 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

if you cant find a good build for a victor...you arent looking hard enough ,the victor is a GREAT mech, fast,tough,and can deal some damage

Yeah the chassis is very versatile, lots of viable builds.

View PostWarrax the Chaos Warrior, on 26 September 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

Brawling is finally viable in the current meta, and the Victor is very good at it.

My personal opinion; the AC20 is critical to the Victor being successful.

I agree the AC20 can be deadly, but the 9K Mini Metal is an amazing chassis too.

The DS main appeal is the speed over the rest of the variants, so I built it around speed, this I must digress took me a LONG time to find a good build for using speed.

View Postmailin, on 26 September 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

So it looks like my first mistake was not equipping an XL engine. Thanks for the suggestions guys. If you had all three (I do) and wanted to keep just one, which would it be, and why? Also, I do not have, nor will I get a hero mech because I already have enough and more on the way, so that's not an option.

Even with the nerf the best victor (stat wise) for me is the 9S with 2xUAC/5 and 2xLarge Laser, decent range damage and heat efficient.

-XL330 w/3 DHS
-Max Armor
-2 UAC/5 w/ 9 tons of ammo
-2 Large Laser
-1 JJ
-Endo Steel

I would share your expensive gear like and play all 3 for roughly ~50 matches each then decide which one you like best! Good Luck!

#16 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

I think my 9S build is this:

XL380
AC/20
3 SRM4s
2 MLs
2 JJs

It's fast and agile. It's heat efficient. It simply smashes faces. I have no qualms about 1v1 or even 1v2 situations in this mech. There is some weird kind of synergy with this mech, the way it moves, the firepower, I don't know, but it just "clicks" for me. If I could only bring one mech to a brawl, I'd take this one. Even over an Atlas.

#17 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Victor is one of the few mechs that worked for me right out of the box. Of course it got better with some love and some bling, but the ac/20, mLas, srm combo synergizes so well it isn't even funny. Also the only mech I shelled out for every variant (DS included). However it took me awhile to get comfy in the DS and 9K

#18 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

I've found the most comfortable role for my Dragon Slayer is mid/long range striker/sniper. I run the following build to really good effect:

XL330
AC/10
2 PPCs
LL
2 JJs

Just tag people from long range with the PPCs and AC/10, and switch to the AC/10 and LL when things get close. But you really should try to stay at least 100m away from the fur ball with this build. That way, you can bring all weapons to bear on fools.

#19 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

This is my Victor!

There are many like it, but this one is mine:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a0751b0029bf0f5

#20 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

My ratings on the 3?

9K <> 9S > 9B.

The 9K has better arm movement, and when gauss was usable in a brawl was brutal. I like the 3 energy points on the arms as well, 3 MLs allow for some fun up close damage, or you can supliment your up close damage with MLs while mounting larger stuff as well. That's why I like this mech.

The 9S gives you the 3 missile slots for up close punch, and 2 Balistics lets you mount 2 AC5/UAC5s or the standard AC20. The ONLY thing the 9B gives you that the 9S doesn't is the ability to mount 3 AC2s, and honestly I think that works better on other mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users