- - - - -

Why Is It Wrong To Kill An Afk?

44 replies to this topic

#1 Kochab

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

I am completely new to the game. I was playing one of my first few rounds and I saw an AFK mech and so I killed it. The other players gave me a hard time about it but I dont understand why - They would say things like "You just had to kill the AFK". Is not a kill a kill?

#2 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

i also kill enemy afk-mechs. not because i want to get the kill or because it's honorable to kill an afk-player, but because if you leave him alone, he will shoot you in the back and kill you when he gets back to game.
there are also players who seem to be afk, standing still and hoping that the enemy (you) is so honest not to kill him because he seems to be afk, and then shoot you when you turn your back on them. i saw this happening yesterday with a stalker, standing next to the sigma cap-point in caustic valley... one of our jenners thought he was afk, left him alone and wanted to cap sigma... was one-shotet by the awakened stalker.

people have no honor, so you have to be an lame afk-killer yourself, just to be safe.
sad but true

#3 Shaftronics

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

If they're AFK when the game starts and you've been in the game long enough for you to encounter them, there's no excuse. Kill 'em.

#4 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

yep.
It's only bad style if you kill your AFK teammates.
Makes you loose cash and you might be marked as a teamkiller.

#5 Anti ARMD

Clone

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:03 PM

Kill's a kill honestly... if their afk or dc'd, kill on sight because you don't want them coming back.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

Usually, you'll get chastised for killing the AFK enemy, while the very non-AFK enemies are ripping your teammates apart.

Make killing the AFK enemy quick. Go for the cockpit, kill it fast and move on. Don't take your time. Shouldn't be any complaints then.

Some people will sit there and dissect the afk enemy, tearing off a leg, both arms, both side torsos, and then kill it. That usually takes 2 or 3 minutes depending on the enemy mech.

"Don't play with your food. Eat it and go."

#7 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

Destroying an AFK/DC while on your way to wherever is fine. The problem is with people focusing on a DC/AFK mech instead of taking care of real targets. This loses matches.

#8 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

A kill is a kill. why should the AFK or disconnected player be exempt from this?

The only rule I would say you should follow is only kill the AFK player if you are capping a base next to them and dont have any other targets at the moment or if they are the last player alive on the other team.

If you have other targets close to you that you can shoot (Especially if they are fighting one of your teammates), then go for them as they are the bigger threat to your team. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing some noob killing an AFK player while you are fighting for survival in range of him.

#9 Herbstwind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 104 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

In general it is best to go after either the most dangerous or fastest-to-kill target, i.e. not the hardly damaged atlas but the heavily damaged fire support mech right next to it. By extension, an afk or disconnected mech is the least desirable target.

So, as stated above, as long as you are quick about it no one should complain :P

Edited by Herbstwind, 25 September 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#10 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

I place a high value on honor, but I've never considered shooting an enemy AFKer to be 'dishonorable'.

You can't win the game unless you either kill all the enemy Mechs, or cap it out. I can't see any reason not to kill someone whose Mech is standing between your team and victory. There is no penalty to them.

I agree that higher priority targets - ie the ones firing at your team - should come first. But there's no reason to specifically ignore an unattended Mech.

Edited by Appogee, 25 September 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#11 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:21 PM

Red is dead.

#12 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:37 AM

AFK is different from a DC, at least to me. If I see a DC- one that clearly shows up as Disconnected on the scoreboard, I'll leave it alone and focus on enemies that may actually hurt me. I'll only kill a DC if I'm already doing something like capping and it won't interfere with it. An AFK however, is always a threat- take them out.

#13 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:39 AM

View PostAnti ARMD, on 25 September 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

Kill's a kill honestly... if their afk or dc'd, kill on sight because you don't want them coming back.

^^^^^This. If you're AFK, then accept what comes your way as the match progresses. No dishonor in killing an AFK mech.

Edited by Piney, 26 September 2013 - 02:42 AM.

#14 Levon K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 324 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

I think they're upset you got the free kill and they didn't.

I had one guy on my team literally face hug an AFK mech to try and block me from shooting it so he could get the kill (and it was not the last mech standing either). I managed to take it out quickly despite that, and after I turned around to engage the last few mechs on the other team, he alpha strikes me in the back screaming something incoherent in chat.

So yeah, 99% of the time, people will whine about you "stealing their kill", which is just an indication how desperate people are to earn a few extra C-bills in a match. Sad but true. They will mask their jealousy by claiming dishonor or bad etiquette.

#15 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:01 AM

The only thing that bugs me about killing AFK/DCs is when the shooter is standing literally meters from the Cap point in Conquest and could be using the time to both start the Capture and kill the AFK. That makes me insane!

#16 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

Kill the AFK mech.

But only if its you're capping anyway and there's nothing else to do but shoot at it

Whatever you do, if there's other mechs around shooting at your team, don't waste your time on the AFK mech until that live enemy is dead! Otherwise you're letting your team possibly lose by being greedy.

#17 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

If it's an AFK and there are no attacking enemies around, then I go for a head shot immediately. A DC however, I will leave alone. If I see a mech that isn't moving or is moving in circles I quickly press tab and see if he shows up as a DC. If he is, I move on, no matter what. If I spend time killing a DC it's time that my mech isn't damaging or distracting the real threats. An AFK can be a real threat at any moment, so kill him quickly via head shot.

#18 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

KILL THEM ALL!

#19 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

Discos and AFKs are completely different animals, an AFK might only be gone for thirty seconds or something. Bring em down while they are defenseless. A disco isn't coming back, only bring em down if you can do it without hurting your team, and even then go for the cockpit shot and the quick kill so you can get onto doing something useful.

#20 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

its bad because the time you spend killing a mech that cannot shoot at you, you could be killing a mech that is running around killing your teammates

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users