Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

Edit:
Proper Etiquette:

With the new wait until everyone is ready screen it's become popular to take command and begin rearranging teams. While sometimes this can be helpful, we seem to need to teach people a little bit about politeness, and etiquette when taking command.

• Step 1: When taking command, please ask what players are in premades. Do NOT rearrange these.
  • Step 2: Wait a moment for people to speak up.
  • Step 3: If no one speaks up or they say they don't mind, rearrange base on weight class.
  • Step 4: Undo any rearrangements based on request.
  • Step 5: Command as normal.
---------------------------------------------------------------

This is by far not the best it could have been in terms of length and being direct to the point. However, recorded live and unscripted I did try.

The chatter introduction goes from the beginning.

Grid squares are 500 meters, and with that info you can skip ahead to 2:35 if your time is short.

After some time, I take command of the lance, demonstrate how to give orders. It would be nice if the attack order could be locked onto an enemy mech's movements.

If you already know about the battlegrid and just want to check out my Heavy Metal's very interesting build and how I use it, jump to the time below.

At 5:48, after poking a little bit of fun at the Stair Climbing Simulator (more of a poke for PGI to implement some forward thrust to JJs), the screen burns out to a pug match where I take command of the company and begin issuing out orders and leading the charge.

I'd like to think I did pretty well. Although none of the 8 trial mechs on my team survived and I lost one of my own lance members, we completely annihilated the enemy team and kept up fairly well with the captures, too.

This is temporary as it's been requested a number of times. A much more concise and well-thought out tutorial will come eventually.

#2 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

Thanks Konving, now that I know that you are supposed to left click and pick orders. :) Thanks for your time and effort to create this, and nice Heavy Metal build, although I don't really like mixed ballistics as it's required for two types of ammo.

#3 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

wow, this tutorial is actually more helpful than the one in-game... that doesn't exist... AT ALL

Thanks Koniving for actually doing more work than PGI ever could.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:17 AM

View Postgavilatius, on 28 September 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

wow, this tutorial is actually more helpful than the one in-game... that doesn't exist... AT ALL
Thanks Koniving for actually doing more work than PGI ever could.

You're welcome. They're still working on that. I think it's them trying too hard to incorporate regular maps and think of how to force the concepts of a tutorial into them. That, and the complicated systems (just how do you explain Ghost Heat when it's constantly changing?) aren't helping. Tutorial lesson: Ghost heat. "Check the forum." Lesson completed.

But honestly, I think if they did a very simple map set with obstacles and various other things set up to look like a virtual reality holo-game or some other sort of simulator it would give them a lot more freedom in which to spawn a tutorial or series of them.

Was sleepy when I recorded this, but... I gave my ideas as I went through this (I had gone through it once before recording too otherwise it'd have taken longer to make my opinions or you'd also hear minor disappointments -- though for a first attempt it isn't bad -- more direct than mine was at least).

View Postluxebo, on 28 September 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

Thanks Konving, now that I know that you are supposed to left click and pick orders. :lol: Thanks for your time and effort to create this, and nice Heavy Metal build, although I don't really like mixed ballistics as it's required for two types of ammo.

You're welcome. The two types of ammo is actually one of the good things because the ammunition lasts longer when you do this. Also being on the receiving end sucks because the AC/2 constantly makes you rattle around and when the LB-10 hits the shake is violent and you don't know where I'm aiming anymore. It prevents the enemy from using closed beta tactics such as torso twisting to defend a weak side (most weapons have a 4 second delay, meaning you twist once every 3.5 seconds and the enemy's weapon is wasted on your strong side). The combination makes that impossible to do reliably.

Also, when you have identical weapons grouped together you're raising double or triple the heat (If an AC/2 generates 1 heat every 0.52 seconds, then two AC/2s generate 2 heat every 0.52 seconds. It adds up quick.)

The LB-10 in lore is superior in every way to the AC/10 because it's actually an AC/10 that can fire cluster rounds as well as AC/10 ammo (cant' do that here, no repair and rearm to govern the difference), is 1 slot less, 1 ton less, and generates significantly less heat per shot. In MWO's version, against structure every pellet becomes an AC/1.5 (common) AC/2 (less common) or AC/3 (ultra rare chance) round (imprecise, would have to look it up. STJobe is a good person to tell you). Makes it absolutely devastating.

I've found mixing firing rates to really be very useful in DPS builds. In alpha strike builds it's more important to have identical firing rates. An odd example of an alpha build is the default BJ-1. Twin AC/2s. Yay for stock builds. Here's a quicky. When the heat is hot, I rely on the AC/2s and space my shots out, carefully lining up each shot. And here's me really tearing it up with 40 threshold. Notice how much heat management matters in that rig?

#5 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

I might try it out when I get to the heavier mechs, you have a good point on cockpit shaking. Sadly, LBX doesn't do the same as in older games, neither does Ultra AC. I would really wish LBX tighten it's spread and lower range, but produce plenty more firepower closer to the enemy. Ultra AC should not jam, it should random fire a second burst near the first one and then reload. Rotary AC should be the one to jam.

Oh, and the command system helps a lot, firstly, doesn't require you to type, secondly, the trials know what to really do rather than rushing out they can follow that point. Helps in Pugs a lot! Thanks once again Koniving, can't thank you enough for the guide!

#6 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

nice tutorial, great much needed info
so the usual then koniving :lol:

#7 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

It would be great if premades made use of battlegrid orders more often...

Most of the time I see puggie commanders that ask me to rush cave... Or split up the team just for the heck of it...

On a side note, I would be pretty annoyed if a puggie commander took the time to group all the lights into a lance and split me off from my 4-man

#8 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:26 AM

View PostKoniving, on 28 September 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

I'd like to think I did pretty well. Although none of the 8 trial mechs on my team survived and I lost one of my own lance members, we completely annihilated the enemy team and kept up fairly well with the captures, too.

This is temporary as it's been requested a number of times. A much more concise and well-thought out tutorial will come eventually.

Thanks for continuing to provide tutorials!

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

Updated for an urgent message.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

Bumped for justice since I just found it in the trash outside of the new player help thread.

#11 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

Took a look at this and would love to use the command option a bit, but does ANYONE do it? I see it used maybe once or twice in the 100 matches that I played in the last month or so. Can you get a PUG match to work in this? I see TeamSpeak as being far superior, but then you just eliminate the need for the Lance commands that way, not the Company commands. (Never run a 12 man, but I imagine TS kicks butt there too)

#12 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

For god's sake, don't re-arrange lances based on weight class. It breaks up premade groups, doesn't help cohesion (as your lance is now spread all over the map rather than dropping together), and single-class lances aren't generally what you want anyway. Nobody ever got to the end of a match and though 'man, I sure am glad that pubcommander re-arranged all the lances!'

The unfortunately reality is that the limited leadership 'tools' are 99% useless. Even the map markers obscure the minimap and provide inferior functionality to just saying 'four enemies B3' or whatever.

#13 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

I've been searching for this information to no avail, but perhaps you can help. In the battlegrid, as company commander, is there a way to give a single command to the whole team? I see how you give commands to each lance but I haven’t figured out how to give a single command to everyone at the same time.

#14 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

I had no idea grid squares were universally 500m. That's genuinely helpful and I've been playing this game since, well since the whole Founder thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users