Frame Rate Drop

49 replies to this topic

#41 unreal icarus

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

framerate sometimes recovers during the match when gpu is already hot. so its not a temperature issue. i think its memory related sftware wise, my ram is large enough and not fully used

#42 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

1. If GPU/CPU related, the FPS drops when either/both the CPU core(s)/GPU are throttled down, allowing them to cool off. Once cooled past a specific threshold, they are cranked back up.

That is why I has previously posted the turning off the Turbo Boost (again, from over 200 people the magic mark was 98% instead of 99%). This prevented one core from reaching the threshold temps that can cause CPU throttling. Others did that, as well as slowed down the GPU.

2. For some, at least to the FPS drop in game, it was related to a few programs starting up, hogging the CPU which would lead to FPS dropping.

That your GPU temp readings are extremely high would have me double check that all the fans were not only running but running at max RPMs, followed up by checking their thermal pads and possibly replacing with thermal paste. Running at extreme high temperatures will damage the thermal pads, causing them to be inefficient. If you do this, research first your laptop on any possible issues with a paste due to surface connection between chip and heatsink. I know on my Dell I needed to use a copper shim with the paste.

As for the amount of ram you have, MWO is a 32bit application.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 October 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#43 unreal icarus

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:47 AM

as i already mentioned, i have disabled turbo boost. may max power is set to 98%.
There are no other applications running parallel.
I also choose 100% gpu fan speed all the time with MSI afterburner.

i cannot easyly reach the fans to replace the thermal paste in my acer notebook. just pulling the backside isnt enough, there is much more to take off. i dont want to do that since i dont want to damage anything, i would lose my warrenty and i think its not the reason.

Edited by unreal icarus, 20 October 2013 - 03:50 AM.

#44 Garagano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:26 AM

protip: turn off the hud and you will have approx the double framerate -> right shift + F11

the current hud slows anything down! with only 50% cpu and gpu load on my PC, the framerate is only 25-35 fps and in-fight it goes down to 15fps.

only god knows why PGI uses this crappy hud middleware. the performance hook of this scaleform hud is ridiculous bad.

#45 unreal icarus

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

i tried to underclock my gpu clock freq and it just shifts the problem. You are right, if my gpu reaches 90°C i get the frame drop. once it cooled down, fps-rate recovers. But this did not happen before, its something that came up with the latest patches.

@Garagano: thanks for the hint, it really changes much. i also have doubled frame rate when turned off. But having no crosshair and target information sucks :/.

#46 Garagano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

having crosshair and target information is OP !
the framerate loss when its active is actually a balance mechanism :(

#47 Tailmonkey

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

Well, after several tips and tricks and tweaks, I finally got my fps back up to something playable. Getting around 30-40 fps in a match, maxing out at 60. This is at 1920 x 1080 in Full Window mode with all the detail settings set on "high". I can probably raise the average up a bit if I lower particles, post processing, and turning off AA, but I dig eye-candy, as long as the game is smooth and playable.

But here's what I ended up cracking down and doing to get things running better. I fixed my system. Turns out I had several corrupt system files that would keep hogging system resources. Everything pretty much ran as it should, just a tad bit slower. Freed up a bunch of HDD space, and got caught up on most updates, made sure all my drivers were up to date, and ran a driver cleaner to make sure everything that wasn't supposed to be there was gone. It was a weekend long tedious process that almost ended up with me re-formatting and starting over. (Thankfully, it didn't come to that.) But after a while of toiling away and cleaning up my system, I decided to run MWO again, and it played beautifully.

I'm happy to be getting kills again. :)

#48 unreal icarus

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

Well, my drivers are up to date, i have enough space on my ssd and i also dont have corrupt files. I think its the game for me that causes the problems. A 2D interface (hud) that doubles the framerate if turned off indicates inefficient programming. The terrain and mech rendering should eat the resources, not some crosshairs etc ...

#49 LuckJaw

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts
  • LocationYellowknife, Canada

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

I would like to see what PGI have to say about these problem....

#50 Harney

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

Hi

I too am having issues
i like to have a constant 60 fps vsync but keeps dropping down to 40 fps tried different settings still no joy... Cpu does not exceed 50% and gpu does not exceed above 40%
will test by disabling HT and then some mod how MWO uses this i7
gtx 970 I7 4770k 16 gb ram

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users