Mechcommander Mode

9 replies to this topic

#1 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:03 AM

more than the new map and yet another 'in the works' presentation by ekman, the most exciting feature for me (aside from the last 5-6 matches) was spectator mode. as much as i like playing the game, i would vastly enjoy watching it from the top down controllable view as shown during the launch event. as mentioned by phil, this could take mwo to a newer level of sport gaming.

and even more than that im excited at the possibility of using spectator mode (with los/electronic restrictions of course) for company command. imho it would add a tactical layer to the game not found anywhere else (afaik) and would really set it back on course towards the sim/thinking man's crowd.

it is simple to implement and chat/ts is already there to issue commands. down the line, simple commands(attack,defend, waypoint etc,) can be added that should interface with the battle map and hopefully also the hud. the mech commander can also have his own arsenal of deployable tools. for example he could have more powerful artillery and airstrikes and a uav or spotter planes of course usable only within a friendly mechs radius.

at first glance you would think this would only of benefit to 12 man premades. but imho, many pugs look for direction in matches. they may all not follow the mech commander, but some direction is better than no direction; and following instructions will be even more crucial. later on we could have sections in th forums dedicated to strategies and tactics, complete with maps and diagrams and a whole sub game would develop.

i have oftened dreamed of the day where i could have a game that combined mechwarrior and mech commander (the pc game of old), maybe some of you also do. the tools are here and they are not in the drawing board. it can be done. i know its not in the feature list of mwo but it should be.

hopefully pgi, you listen this time.

Edited by travelbug, 30 September 2013 - 04:05 AM.

#2 Zarakynel

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 60 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

PGI said that it was a devs' tool. They most likely wouldn't be releasing it for the public. A guy in my unit, Minoxen, makes tons of machinas and other videos from MWO. When we were at the launch event, we asked, and we were denied. Oh well...

#3 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:10 AM

thats so sad. another grand opportunity lost.

i wouldve loved to see this more than cw honestly.

#4 Antasius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:40 AM

It's a great idea! But many, many great idea's are falling flat due to a whole wack-load of genuine reasons/excuses here. Even {Noble MechWarrior}'s like me are finding it hard to get inspired. I'm personally feeling the chill of a company reeling from the deluded player base. Very sad.

I will hope they turn this around soon. We shall see.

#5 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:47 AM

I really don't think I'd like this. Completely changes the kind of game it is, and I think for the worse. I'd rather teams have to coordinate to understand what is going on.

#6 culverin

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 98 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:52 AM

View PostZarakynel, on 30 September 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

PGI said that it was a devs' tool. They most likely wouldn't be releasing it for the public. A guy in my unit, Minoxen, makes tons of machinas and other videos from MWO. When we were at the launch event, we asked, and we were denied. Oh well...

Opportunity lost would be an understatement.
This could entirely change the player experience for new players and more casual drop-in players.
And it could allow for crazy complicated maneuvers for coordinated 12-man drops.

#7 Ridersofdoom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

in 1993 at that time there was a game that mixed the 2 modes sim&strategy the interesting of this game was that you could see on the map all the robots and you could choose and drive anyone in the middle of the battle.

#8 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

View PostKrivvan, on 30 September 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

I really don't think I'd like this. Completely changes the kind of game it is, and I think for the worse. I'd rather teams have to coordinate to understand what is going on.

well the mechcommander doesnt necessarily have to be the only one giving the orders, others could definitely pitch in rightfully so. but he would be the one tp have the best tactical awereness amongst everybody but other teammates could and should give alternate instructions if they feel the need to.

View PostAntasius, on 30 September 2013 - 04:40 AM, said:

It's a great idea! But many, many great idea's are falling flat due to a whole wack-load of genuine reasons/excuses here. Even {Noble MechWarrior}'s like me are finding it hard to get inspired. I'm personally feeling the chill of a company reeling from the deluded player base. Very sad.

I will hope they turn this around soon. We shall see.

View Postculverin, on 30 September 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:

Opportunity lost would be an understatement.
This could entirely change the player experience for new players and more casual drop-in players.
And it could allow for crazy complicated maneuvers for coordinated 12-man drops.

yup, its frustrating to say the least. unlike other feature requests, the technology is already there and in place!

edit:
and for me, its exactly the kind of feature that could pull back the founders into the game, with or without cw.

Edited by travelbug, 30 September 2013 - 05:23 AM.

#9 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Yeah, this wouldn't be a good thing for individuals unless they could limit the viewable units to friendlies and targeted enemies. If target is lost the unit would disappear from the FoV.

#10 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

View Postcdlord, on 30 September 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Yeah, this wouldn't be a good thing for individuals unless they could limit the viewable units to friendlies and targeted enemies. If target is lost the unit would disappear from the FoV.

Yep or completely removes tactics from both teams and degrades everything to much. Unless it was a drone that could be shot down.

This wouldnt count as 3rd person view, which should be removed from the game(or in easy mode only). This would be a player with a drone that could be shot down and would have to rely on battlegrid only if so.

Edited by Johnny Z, 30 September 2013 - 08:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users