Now this is a mega result for Modern Warfare 3

21 replies to this topic

#1 taxman

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWirral Cheshire England

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

Looks like Modern Warfare 3 has taken over $400 million dollars in 24 hours of Launching.

This could give developers food for thought in BattleTech given the response to date !!

click link for full story.

http://www.msnbc.msn...258459#45214082

~S~

#2 Riptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

Suggesting that Piranha take elements of MW3 might net you alot of flag around here ^^

But you do have a point because the success speaks for itselfe.

#3 CasualT

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

Oh em gee. That's a lot of games.

#4 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

Part of their success is their absolutely ruthless marketing campaign. A lot of people bought it because it's pretty much the face of gaming at the second.

#5 IntruderAlert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

Anyones else see that almost any search for "MECHWARRIOR" results in tons of MW (Modern Warfare Links) ?
Annoying.... :)

#6 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

View PostCake Bandit, on 11 November 2011 - 01:17 PM, said:

Part of their success is their absolutely ruthless marketing campaign. A lot of people bought it because it's pretty much the face of gaming at the second.

View PostIntruderAlert!, on 11 November 2011 - 01:18 PM, said:

Anyones else see that almost any search for "MECHWARRIOR" results in tons of MW (Modern Warfare Links) ?

Exactly.

I have high hopes that unique gameplay and an awesome community are going to grind them into the dust when this comes out though!

#7 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

It is so succesfull, because there are idiots to buy it. There were, are and will always be idiots in the human society and they are actually a large part of it. You show them "stick is better than car" and they will sell you the car for that stick you picked up from the ground (dramatised example). :)

#8 uumd

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

That video was insane! Totally insane! And now I have as much interest in the game as I had before, ZERO!
Obviously alot of people are into it, but I don't see it.....

#9 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

Getting tired of the same old same old Call of Duty. Modern Warfare was okay, but everything after that was just terrible. Go back and play Call of Duty 2 and the gameplay is GREAT even compared to games these days.
Also, Call of Duty is now doing the same thing that made me dislike Medal of Honor so much. I don't give a **** about the "James Bond" stories and whatever. I want on the front lines battle! I want the hammer and anvil, not the chisel! Modern Warfare3 looks the exact same as the last3 modern warfares and the only reason so many people buy them is 1.It's the most advertised Game around, 2. Because people want to be "In-Style" or "In-Fashion." or 3. People are not smart enough to look at other games and compare them, they just go with what they easily see/find which wraps back into reason 1.
Call of Duty can either go back to being frontline soldiers in the past or future (Not alternate Timeline I mean Sci-Fi space) or it needs to die.
Battlefield looks like the newest First Person Shooter I would consider. But then there are games like Skyrim that make me not care about Multiplayer at all. By the way, Third Person is the best camera style for shooters, first person is limited and incompetent.

/rant-end

#10 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

WoW has 8 million subcribers still was at 9mil at one point, but keep it out of my delicious MechWarrior.

"Return to me with 8 elemental limbs and I will give you the key to fight MEGAKODIAK!!"

#11 taxman

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWirral Cheshire England

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

I have no interest in Playing it Either, I just thought that it was an interesting point to make, that a Game can gross so much inside a 24 hour period in what is a tight squeeze economy.

I already did some maths and based on $50 per shot on a MechWarrior Type game you are looking at over 1.1 million $ if just the people on this forum bought it. If we had a fan base and forum count of 500,000, then governments will start asking for loans to help pay off National debts:)

It must be food for thought. I am certain that if a stand alone game with multiplayer possibilities was created then it would be a success.

#12 pursang

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

View Posttechnoviking, on 11 November 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

WoW has 8 million subcribers still was at 9mil at one point, but keep it out of my delicious MechWarrior.

"Return to me with 8 elemental limbs and I will give you the key to fight MEGAKODIAK!!"

Actually, WoW has a little more then 10 million subscribers after losing more then 800K recently.

As for the topic - it just goes to show you how many people are willing to fork out a large amount of money for a sub-par product. COD are good games yes, but their derivative-style (I mean, art assets lifted off of MW2? A poor net code allowing day one hackers?) leads itself to so much mediocrity that I am unwilling to purchase another COD game ever.

Edited by pursang, 11 November 2011 - 03:48 PM.

#13 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

Annoying.... :D

To me MW will always be Mechwarrior, and Modern Warfare will always be another ice cold COD :)

#14 Halfinax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

View Posttaxman, on 11 November 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

Looks like Modern Warfare 3 has taken over $400 million dollars in 24 hours of Launching.

This could give developers food for thought in BattleTech given the response to date !!

click link for full story.

http://www.msnbc.msn...258459#45214082

~S~

I don't believe appealing to the lowest common denominator is truly the path to success. I personally (and many PC gamers like myself) loathe what the Call of Duty franchise has become, mindless death matches, and I would abandon any franchise that devolves into such a state. I prefer substance to mindless fun, and personal measuring. The game play of what the current iteration of what the Call of Duty franchise has become does not appeal to me, and the saddest part of that is I enjoy FPSes. The CoD franchise has if anything devolved from better titles into something akin to what we saw in the late 1990s when multiplayer first began to truly emerge on a wide scale.

#15 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

Modern Warfare went belly up a long time ago, it's just because it's sold to faceless masses of console lemmings that it makes any money anymore. It's the same game over and over again.

#16 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:39 PM

It offers fast paced action which the youth of today are use to. teenagers are not use to things taking time, they want it all now now now.

Advantage MWO most of the main player base will be 20+

#17 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:58 AM

Funny thing about that. Went to pick up Skyrim today, and the three people in-front of me were already trading in MW3. Wonder how many more are going to be seeing those store shelves again.

#18 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:30 AM

I just finished the campaign today, and I dare say that MW2 was better. It really was. Completely superior in presentation and flow.

lol multiplayer? what's that?

And yeah, even if Piranha really screwed up the game and made it even more arcade MW4 to appease the casuals, it'd still be too much simulation for the average kiddie, so most of the staying players would be of the tolerable group. Feels great to have guaranteed hope, eh?

#19 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

View PostXhaleon, on 12 November 2011 - 04:30 AM, said:

I just finished the campaign today, and I dare say that MW2 was better. It really was. Completely superior in presentation and flow.

lol multiplayer? what's that?

How many HOURS did it take you if I can ask? Would you Play the Campaign again (or does it have any re-playability at all?)

#20 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

Unfortunate, but it seems like we have to live with the difference between the abbreviation of stompy heavy metal warfare and 'my first shooter III' boiling down to an O. (MWO vs. MW)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users