Re-Purchased The Phoenix Pack Because Of A Personal Experience With Pgi Jonty Roodnick

47 replies to this topic

#1 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

I recently refunded my Phoenix Pack because of several concerns I have about MWO, as well as the fact that I wanted to buy a Nintendo WiiU and could use extra cash. The WiiU is awesome btw, the tablet controller is really well implemented. Anyway, I didn't foresee myself picking up the Phoenix Pack again, though I've always been interested in continuing to play MWO.

Tonight I was dropping in my newly purchased Orion when I happened to land in a match with PGI Jonty Roodnick. It's always pleasant to see proof of PGI playing their own game, so I must admit that I immediately took a slight liking to Jonty. I teased that I would teamkill him for being part of PGI, and then we worked together to easily sweep the enemy team. It was like a lance-made-in-heaven experience.

The very next match, Jonty was on the opposite team. This time, I had an opportunity to kill him legitimately! I announced my intentions and challenged him to a duel. Unfortunately, at match start, a poor-judging individual on my team decided to alpha strike me in the back and proceeded to team-kill me. I was disappointed and cursed the MWO gods; why must the mechwarriors constantly lament? When will our suffering end?

PGI Jonty Roodnick then suddenly became the harbinger of justice. He was the answer to my calls. Jonty witnessed the crime that had befallen me, and enacted swift justice on my aggressor. I wonder if the team-killer even ever noticed that a PGI staff member was within our ranks.

Jonty and I then exchanged a hearty laugh and good wills. The man even friend requested me after the match. I was impressed with the overall experience that I decided to double-down on my Founder's pack and pick up the Phoenix Pack once again. Here's hoping community warfare is as awesome as it sounds like it can be.

It was refreshing to see someone from PGI playing with us and then helping me out when something went wrong. Pretty cool stuff. I hope that other players are able to have such positive experiences with PGI in the future. Special thanks to Jonty for taking a fairly disappointing MWO experience into something I can look back on and laugh at.

Edited by Vulix, 01 October 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#2 mike29tw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:46 AM

View PostVulix, on 01 October 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

PGI Jonty Roodnick then suddenly because the harbinger of justice. He was the answer to my calls. Jonty witnessed the crime that had befallen me, and enacted swift justice on my aggressor. I wonder if the team-killer even ever noticed that a PGI staff member was within our ranks.

So he insta-banned him ?

#3 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:02 AM

Moral of story? Don't mess with Vulix, PGI's got his back.

#4 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

Always good to see the devs playing and interacting with the community ;)

#5 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

View Postmike29tw, on 01 October 2013 - 03:46 AM, said:

So he insta-banned him ?

All PGI piloted mechs have the ability to insta-kill any mech on the field, reducing it to dust and removing it from you hanger. IGP players also have a secret weapon that instantly drains any MC you currently have.

Edit: stupid auto correct.

Edited by Vasces Diablo, 01 October 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#6 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Nice!

#7 Karne Asada

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

It would be great if they implemented a function showing a name of which team member actually hit you. I've definitely seen more friendly fire than normal since launch.

Awesome story Vulix! Made me glad I bought the Phoenix pack as well.

Taco!

#8 Lysander Voidrunner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

Great stuff!

#9 Sparta971

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

I must admit that I am also playing MWO because of Jonty. I enjoy being in a Lance with him and have found him helpful with when I ask about loadouts and setup. It is great to see Devs interacting with the players.

#10 Dr Herbert West

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

Sounds like a nice, reasonable guy.

Is he in charge of game design, weapon/mech balance, and/or community communication?

#11 Mike Forst

Postmaster General

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 577 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Jonty is a cool dude

#12 Kevin Meek

• 17 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

He is a great new addition to our art team, making mech paint jobs. He did the recent Applejack skin that everyone seems quite fond of.

http://www.reddit.co...ngly_realistic/

#13 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostVasces Diablo, on 01 October 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

All PGI piloted mechs have the ability to insta-kill any mech on the field, reducing it to dust...

[color=cyan]We call it 'epic skill' around the office.[/color]

#14 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 02 October 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

We call it 'epic skill' around the office.

Where can I get this "Epic Skill"? I don't have any!
Thanks for the re-buy OP! Jonty FTW.

#15 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

CIG has some to spare I'm sure.

#16 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Vulix, I think you have easily scored the highest Admin-to-Thread ratio in this forum. Good job and glad you had such a great experience!

#17 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 02 October 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Where can I get this "Epic Skill"? I don't have any!

Next week's sale. Available for 750 (per mech), a 50% savings!

Edited by Heffay, 02 October 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#18 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

My Elo must be too low (or too high), I only ever see Jason Busch [PGI] on the field :P

(Also assuming I have correctly remembered his name, I'm in my waning decades)

#19 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

yeh, cool story bro.

And that was meant without a lick of sarcasm or irony or any such. :P It was a cool story.

I never went so far as to request a refund for my Overlord, but the shine faded on my white armor real real hard on launch day. Dropped that evening with my four man, we usually have a blast regardless of what is going on simply because we enjoy gaming with each other. I was, in all fairness, a mopey {Richard Cameron}. Couldn't shake an overarching disappointment that nothing happened for launch. Was distracted and pizzed and not playing worth a crud and my congenial few game night beers were just making it worse. Had to apologize to my boys and leave early (which is unheard of for me, usually the last one signing off).

Russ stating that they had to "launch" due to business concerns went a long way towards making me feel betterish. For the past 16 years I've worked as a contractor in a three generations family owned business, so I understand making snap decisions due to external pressures, especially when you really wish you had more time to perfect something.

Your post helped a lot also Vulix. Good to see someone doing something other than b****ing, and great to see someone at PGI being cool to a player.

<S>

Edited by juxstapo, 02 October 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#20 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

This thread is so incredibly full of good-will and banter, that I've had a little faith in this community restored.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users