I Think I Found Out What's Wrong With The Spider

78 replies to this topic

#1 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

So I was messing around in the testing grounds today while waiting for the servers to come back online properly. Then I accidentally stumbled across this:

Apparently the center of the Spider has a dead zone where projectiles go to die. I wasn't able to replicate this bug with laser fire, but with repeated relaunching and restarting I can reliably target a spot right in the middle of the mech where missiles and ballistics hit for no damage. It's not a huge hole, but it is right in the middle of the mech, where everyone aims. So I think I've found out what's wrong with the spider.

#2 Codyak

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Omnom missiles?

Edited by Codyak, 01 October 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#3 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

Interesting find. testing ground bug?

#4 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hmm interesting.

It could also be the training grounds being twin peaks sometimes.

But if this is the bug then it is also eating missile splash damage, which usually would go to the CT

#5 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 01 October 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Interesting find. testing ground bug?

It's quite possible it's a testing grounds bug; hard to get other players to stand still for me, so I can't replicate it online very well. That said, while damage tends to be inaccurate in regards to testing grounds vs a live environment, most other things behave similarly. If I didn't think this were at least somewhat valid I wouldn't have bothered posting it.

#6 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

Wow, yeah, could be good find. I railed a Spider in the back the other day, he was running straight away from me, in a 12 man. Got no red cross hair at all. Don't suppose there's the same issue from the back?

Edited by warner2, 01 October 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#7 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

We need to keep raising this in the ATD and put some pressure on. This really needs to be fixed ASAP.

#8 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

It is possible you were actually hitting the side torso hitbox with the SRMs that actually hit, so it may be that the CT itself is transparent to ballistics/missiles?

Or is it just really that small section in the center of the torso? If it is then I have doubts it really is the problem, or the only problem.

#9 WM Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 171 posts
  • LocationQuit breaking the game, or changing irrelevant stuff and fix the bugs from closed beta.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 01 October 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

We need to keep raising this in the ATD and put some pressure on. This really needs to be fixed ASAP.

This continues to happen in games. My dual AC20 Jaeger hit a shutdown spider (overheated) Center Torso with no effect last week. Week before that - Spider running straight at me took 3 shots of Dual AC20s CT. Same week, Spider stood toe to toe with my Cataphract with Dual AC10s, machine gunnned me until I died while I repeatedly hit CT with little to no damage.

Mechanics of the game are seriously broken when a spider can toe to toe stand still in front of a Heavy or Assault and shoot that mech until they are dead and not die in seconds themselves.

Please, please look in to this. This is as bad as the dragon bowling or any other exploit.

#10 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

I have no mech with one missile tube so I tried it at the same spot with an SRM2 which randomly distributes the 2 missiles.

First everything looked good (it was registering damage as it should) but after a few hits I realized that sometimes none of the volleys registered any damage (I didn't move in between these volleys) it was totally random.
Neither did the red cross flashed nore the paperdoll or the damage percentage of the mech.

strange

#11 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostTexAss, on 01 October 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

I have no mech with one missile tube so I tried it at the same spot with an SRM2 which randomly distributes the 2 missiles.

First everything looked good (it was registering damage as it should) but after a few hits I realized that sometimes none of the volleys registered any damage (I didn't move in between these volleys) it was totally random.
Neither did the red cross flashed nore the paperdoll or the damage percentage of the mech.

strange

I was firing with the 2 to show off that particular spot, but the damage seemed really off when I tried firing with the 6. Every shot was a hit, but it's very hard to know how much of a hit when all I get is a red crosshair and "yellow to dark yellow on two components"

#12 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

View Postaniviron, on 01 October 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

I was firing with the 2 to show off that particular spot, but the damage seemed really off when I tried firing with the 6. Every shot was a hit, but it's very hard to know how much of a hit when all I get is a red crosshair and "yellow to dark yellow on two components"

With the SRM2 the particular spot didnt matter to me, since they got spread out randomly, but with some volleys it didnt do ANYTHING. No red cross, no flash on paperdoll and no percentage change. its like the spider turned on a power shield for some volleys and for some not.

#13 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Wonderful find.

#14 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Here you can see what I described.

See how the mech doesn't move sometimes when hit? I shot the raven a few 100 meters away next and it rocked everytime it got hit.
But on the spider...no red cross, no flash on paperdoll and no percentage change. its like the spider turned on a power shield for some volleys and for some not.
It clearly isnt registering damage.

Edited by TexAss, 01 October 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#15 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostTexAss, on 01 October 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Here you can see what I described.

See how the mech doesn't move sometimes when hit? I shot the raven a few 100 meters away next and it rocked everytime it got hit.
But on the spider...no red cross, no flash on paperdoll and no percentage change. its like the spider turned on a power shield for some volleys and for some not.
It clearly isnt registering damage.

It seems to be a few very small areas. Looks almost like it's along the seams of where the CT meets the side torsi; like the edges were just never assigned a hitbox so anything that impacts there doesn't deal damage. Hard to say though. Would love to see if anyone can reproduce this in-game with video evidence.

#16 Hammer Hands

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Ru

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

PGI has openly admitted that there are issues with the Spider's hitbox detection and such, yet they have not fixed it, nor removed it from the game to stop people from exploiting the near invincibility of these stupid mechs. If it is because of the size I can't wait till the locust arrives and I can run around not being hit 70% of the time also.

#17 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostHammer Hands, on 01 October 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

PGI has openly admitted that there are issues with the Spider's hitbox detection and such, yet they have not fixed it, nor removed it from the game to stop people from exploiting the near invincibility of these stupid mechs. If it is because of the size I can't wait till the locust arrives and I can run around not being hit 70% of the time also.

But that seems unlikely. The commando is slightly smaller than the spider, but has no hitreg issues whatsoever, and goes down very easily to autocannons, lasers, and PPCs (missiles are still pretty iffy though). What's much more likely to happen is that the Locust is terrible and also easy to hit. This is a spider-specific issue.

#18 Hillslam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

A lot of spider exploiting posters about to eat crow... *cough* mehlan *cough*.

Curious, I went in and tried it for myself. Yup behaves just as shown above.

I found a couple spots where no damage registered.

I think there are gaps in the spiders triangles and pgi is doing planar intersection detection instead of volumetric inclusion calculation. Miss the triangle, miss the mech.

#19 WM Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 171 posts
  • LocationQuit breaking the game, or changing irrelevant stuff and fix the bugs from closed beta.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostHillslam, on 01 October 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

I think there are gaps in the spiders triangles and pgi is doing planar intersection detection instead of volumetric inclusion calculation. Miss the triangle, miss the mech.

^^^^
Yeah - what he said. Volumetric inclusion calculation......I knew that is what it was missing. Spiders need more VIC. :D

#20 ShadowSpirit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Same issue with the centurion ... known issue .. hit boxes on cent, treb, and spider are just plain broken.

Edited by ShadowSpirit, 01 October 2013 - 09:23 PM.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users