#3121 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:31 PM

View PostKadix, on 25 December 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

How long after a gift code is redeemed will it be before the items appear in game?

(I bought mech packs for old two friends and we're getting together tomorrow to play. I'm hoping the mechs show up.)

what Mech packs did you purchase, I assume you are aware of the fact that Resistance Mechs will not be deployed for a while.
generally when you redeem something it shows up within 15 minutes.

#3122 Vaegir Raiden

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:51 AM

Why are the modules and the costs of upgrades such at high and extreme costs?

It's insane. And not even starter friendly. You have to die alot in your stock mech before you can even buy Endo, DHS and even components to outfit your mech.

The new player enviroment is terrible. The grinding is terrible and it's already hard enough to break the 100 damage.

Edited by Vaegir Raiden, 26 December 2014 - 01:08 AM.

#3123 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:49 AM

It is all to do with ensuring you do not get too rich in terms of cbills, so you have reason to spend real money. I have been playing for almost 2 and a half years, I own more than 90 Mechs, 2/3 are at least at elite but do not even have 4 fully outfitted (with a complete set of modules) Mechs for Community Warfare.
I keep getting more Mechs which generally need 4+ million spent on them (on top of initial purchase cost) to get them fully combat ready (new weapons, Endo, DHS, and often a new engine, yes I can pinch the engine from another Mech but I prefer to have most of my Mechs combat ready, and indeed I do have at current about 70 combat ready Mechs)

Basically Endo and DHS are 2 million+ that are compulsory (assuming you want top be competitive) on most IS Mechs, this was a design decision by PGI, I think the reason behind it was to give encouragement to spend real money on Mechs, if you could buy a Mech for e.g. 6million then upgrade it cheep, most people would be able to afford to buy and setup a Mech regularly so would not need to spend much real money, hence the game would not last long due to lack of cashflow.

I fully agree that the costs of modules is too high, but do understand the reasoning (modules are considered to be late game items, by the time you have 10+ Mechs instead of buying another Mech you may be better off buying modules, which cost almost as much as a new Mech), again this is encouragement to spend real money on Mechs.

Yes the New player experience is bad, and according to Russ (the boss of PGI) that should finally be getting some work early in 2015.

with practice, especially if you keep asking questions here you will get to the point that ti is unusual not to get 100 damage, finding the correct Mech for you is a big part of this.

#3124 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:56 AM

It's generally accepted as better to save until you've earned your entire cadet bonus, and then at least partially upgrade your first mech before even driving it. It also doesn't hurt to make your first mech one you drove as a trial a lot, since you'll probably have enough XP to basic it out.

Ignoring these and other tips available in the new player section does indeed make the game harder, especially early on, though not completely unplayable. I did as you and started off driving stock Commandos before the end of my cadet bonus money, and it can be a bit of a slog-fest doing it that way, so I sympathize. All I can really say is don't give up though, as I found the pleasure of customizing my own mech outweighed the being strapped for cash to actually do so.

Aside from all that, I rarely sell anything, which allows me to try a number of different builds on the cheap when I do get a new mech now, and I usually have some kind of engine I can squeeze into a mech if I need to change something.

Jedi is right about modules though. Freakin' expensive. Upgrades, well, you can get away with SHS or standard structure, though you'll rarely be optimized running both. Ferro is just a waste on all but the emptiest crit-slotted mechs. SHS is ok on any build reliant on gauss, and endo can be lived without on some assault builds where crit slots are more important than weight allowance, but you're pretty much going to have to buy one or the other, and usually both, as he mentioned.

#3125 EmpireX

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 25 December 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

If someone answers your question so that you know someone is at least paying attention, and gives you a clue as to when it could happen, and also gives you a hint as to how you could find it yourself, feel free not to be a male reproductive organ about it.

What else do you expect from a Jade Falcon?

#3126 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:28 AM

Why do people keep saying its hard to earm in game money, its not even if you play bad you easily earn upgrade money in a day. Since you do not loose money when you havea bad game you always make a profit.

Try world of tanks instead can spend as week to earn 6mil there to buy a top tier tank wich is not bad but you have to grind through all other 9 tiers to get there. here you can playa week and then buy an Atlas. Seriulsy any easier to earn money and it would be way to easy to get rich .

modules may seem a bit steep but really arent necessary either

#3127 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

the issue is that in MWO buying and outfitting even a Light Mech often gives you a bill not far short of 10 million, at about 100,000 per match average that works out at 80-100 matches to purchase and outfit a single Light, to get it to its best (by eliting it) you are looking at roughly double that. that is probably 30-45 hours game time to elite a single chassis.

that is not an insignificant amount of time, you are correct it could be worse, but just because it could be worse does not mean everyone has to be happy about it.

I have more Mechs than I know what to do with, and at current have about 20 Mechs still in basics but that is because I have spent a lot of money on this game and have a job, a lot of players seem to be in their 30s or 40s with some in their 50s or older, this age range cannot usualy afford to treat the game as another full time job (in addition to the one they already have).

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 27 December 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#3128 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:25 AM

On the plus side, once you have started buying weapons and engines, you can easily swap them into new mechs. After awhile, you will have bought enough that refitting will be easy because you already own the stuff.

#3129 Vaegir Raiden

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:48 AM

Thank you for your replies. I first bought a spider with the cadet bonus. But the rewards seem to be very slim.
I then picked the trial mechs in order to gain some more c-bills.

The Stalker is fairly easy to use with his missiles.

I have bought lately a jager. Pretty hard to use, but i am getting there.

#3130 Donnerkeil666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal II
  • Marshal II
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

When you use the 360° target retention module, do you keep lock for ssrms when the enemy circles you?

#3131 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostDonnerkeil666, on 28 December 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

When you use the 360° target retention module, do you keep lock for ssrms when the enemy circles you?

It should have a range of 200 M that the target info remains in your HUD if you lose sight, the red brackets on the corners of the target and paper doll in the top right.

As for SSRM lock, AFAIK, you need to reacquire that lock if you lose targeting on your reticle / crosshair (The Red Missile Lock Reticle disappearing for example).

And going against Radar Deprivation I believe you lose lock when the enemy leaves your reticle/crosshair so it would need to be reacquired.

So, Target Decay is what you are looking for instead, to retain SSRM lock for a longer period of time. It adds an additional 1.5 seconds to the base two seconds with Rank 2 unlocked, the new total being 3.5 seconds.

Some more info here.

Edited by Praetor Knight, 28 December 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#3132 bomkallo

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:56 AM

Hello,

I hope the answer can be quick :) I used to play this game before and I got back to try to handle the mech again.

What really frustrates me is mouse handling (smooth/acc set to 0), but still I feel that little flow when moving torso. When getting testing grounds it's fine cause it gives some feeling of mech, but in real battle I'm quite not able to react fast enough (need to spend little time to adjust the aim), and then I can forget about aiming any particular enemy parts, because it floats too much no matter the sensitivity (got logitech where I change it runtime).

So, as far as it's not quake style handling, is this really a matter of habit? All feel the same at least at the beggining?:) I noticed that light mechs go better with it, but I'm driving ctx-1 now and while on youtube I saw people aiming more precisely without that kind of glitches.

#3133 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:09 AM

It sounds like your problem is related to the fact that the arms can move interdependently of the torso, so your arms (the small circle) move to the point you are targeting then it may take a second or more for the torso (the big cross) to catch up, if this is causing you problems you can activate arm lock (in game settings), this locks the arms to the torso, but you loose the arms increased speed and range of movement, which is especially useful against fast moving targets, or targets above or below the Mech.

also a lot of players use a mouse with a switch to change DPI, this allows you to rapidly change the mouses sensitivity, allowing you to quickly go from fast to precise movements

#3134 anonymous45

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:18 AM

How I can attack or defend a planet? I'm waiting in lobby for >10 min and nothing happens.

#3135 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

View PostDonnerkeil666, on 28 December 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

Long ago, a dev posted that the missile lock for any weapon will automatically get lost for any enemy that moves out of [90] degrees of your sight. I don't remember if it was 90 degrees from ahead or 90 degrees to either side (180 total) or someting else, but it definitely would unlock if the target moved behind you. However, with the Artemis bug, and because the target is still selected, you can reaquire lock very quickly when the target moves back in front of you.

View PostIron Joe, on 29 December 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

How I can attack or defend a planet? I'm waiting in lobby for >10 min and nothing happens.

Join a planet queue that has a population count of more than 15 enemies and friendlies. If you pick on that only you or a couple people are on, there is no way you can ever get a match. Also, it may take awhile anyway as the matchmaker has to form matches and groups that fit together nicely into a 12 man team will get priority. If you are solo, you can still get in relatively quickly on active planets if there are odd sized groups or lots of solos playing.

#3136 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:35 AM

View Postbomkallo, on 29 December 2014 - 01:56 AM, said:

Hello,

I hope the answer can be quick :) I used to play this game before and I got back to try to handle the mech again.

What really frustrates me is mouse handling (smooth/acc set to 0), but still I feel that little flow when moving torso. When getting testing grounds it's fine cause it gives some feeling of mech, but in real battle I'm quite not able to react fast enough (need to spend little time to adjust the aim), and then I can forget about aiming any particular enemy parts, because it floats too much no matter the sensitivity (got logitech where I change it runtime).

So, as far as it's not quake style handling, is this really a matter of habit? All feel the same at least at the beggining? :) I noticed that light mechs go better with it, but I'm driving ctx-1 now and while on youtube I saw people aiming more precisely without that kind of glitches.

In addition to Rogue Jedi's answer, you may also be affected by network/Internet latency. Since your movements have to be approved by the server, if you have ping spikes or an unstable ping, your client will constantly be confirming its predicted movements with the server. If the server disagrees on any of it (another player moved in the way before it showed on your end or packets of your movement commands were lost) then your client will forcibly jerk you back to the right position on the map as well as where you are facing. You could be experiencing smaller instances of this.

Also, if you have lower FPS, you will notice delays and lag-like symptoms as well. Press F9 to see map coordinates and the frames per second counter. Below 30 is bad. 30-40 is ok/good and 40+ is pretty smooth. If you are in the lower numbers, you can try to lower your graphic settings in the options menu. Some will have a larger difference than others so you may want to experiment a bit if that is your problem.

#3137 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostIron Joe, on 29 December 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

unfortunately the best way is to join a unit and drop with a large group.

in my experience when I am in a larger group I seem to find matches much quicker than playing solo, however with a large group you will often find the planet undefended, so a 12man instantly forms a game then if after a 10 minute wait if you have no enemy to fight you just destroy the turrets, generators and orbital gun to claim a win.
I hate it when that happens as it is no fun and you get almost nothing for wasting 20 minutes but it is good for your faction as it is almost impossible to loose (only ways it could happen is if your team does not bother to attack, or spends a long time walking around the base without firing at the turrets)

#3138 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

Are an Ember's 4MGs worth their weight?

They seem to run out far too quickly, and it feels like they'd be better off as Heat sink weight.

Then again, I may just be using the Ember like a normal firestarter, which might be wrong.

#3139 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostEonai, on 29 December 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Are an Ember's 4MGs worth their weight?

They seem to run out far too quickly, and it feels like they'd be better off as Heat sink weight.

Then again, I may just be using the Ember like a normal firestarter, which might be wrong.

I find that they are, and that about 2 tons of ammo is enough for most matches.

Just try to be a bit more judicious with the MGs. They have short range, and a built-in cone of fire effect which spreads the damage even more at any kind of range. It's best to save 'em for taking off already armorless components, or for the extra DPS when you're attacking the rear of a Direwolf or something.

Edit: This is the build I use most often: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...78bb1d975e1a11a
If the heat is a bit too much, and you don't mind fighting at closer range, you can swap the 4MLs for 4SPLs instead.

Edited by DEMAX51, 29 December 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#3140 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostEonai, on 29 December 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Are an Ember's 4MGs worth their weight? They seem to run out far too quickly, and it feels like they'd be better off as Heat sink weight. Then again, I may just be using the Ember like a normal firestarter, which might be wrong.

Definitely. A better question is how to use them, 1/2 ton per MG is plenty for a normal 12v12 match. Do not waste your ammo on armored limbs, MG's are crit-seekers, and if it is armored, you're not going to score crits. Also, they are worthless outside of range. Best tactics are to wait until there is a solid brawl and charge in, or to flank and eat the back out of a big fat assault from point blank range.

The ember devours unarmored components, and it loves finding ammo in legs to explode. Play to it's strength.

Edited by Big Tin Man, 29 December 2014 - 01:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users