- - - - -

Short Question, Short Answer

10296 replies to this topic

#9181 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:35 AM

I did not see anything in the last patch but does anyone else have fuzzy decals?

It just might be my PC and GPU.

#9182 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:38 AM

View PostMechwarrior 37, on 20 December 2018 - 08:35 AM, said:

I did not see anything in the last patch but does anyone else have fuzzy decals?

It just might be my PC and GPU.

I was noticing last night (after a Windows AND a graphic driver update, and MW:O recently patched) that anything rendered at any reasonable distance was blurry. A UAV above my head was so blurry, it was this giant blue fuzzy star in the sky, and I couldn't even find it with my reticle to shoot it down.

So... maybe? Or for myself it may have been one of the other updates mucking around with my settings.

#9183 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostMechwarrior 37, on 20 December 2018 - 08:35 AM, said:

Not me. Check your texture settings.

#9184 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:39 AM

With my settings all at very high, I've got nothing fuzzy. Also using an AMD video card.
Was actually having a lot of fun with decals last night. Slathered my Rifle DB with some.
Posted Image

That's not including the face on the back, meant to make people hesitate before shooting me from behind...

#9185 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:05 AM

Yeah, I have to run everything on low or off. It sucks, I'm shooting walls I can't see. One thing that bugs me is that I cannot tell if an enemy mech is facing me or facing the other way.

I'm lucky to have this PC so.....

Yesterday I had a great example of my eyesight. I keep a number of small flashlights around to help me find things. It seemed like one needed new batteries. After taking them out, they looked like AAA ones but I was not sure. I studied the battery with a magnifying glass. And finally tiny parts of it at a time. I finally found a "red" box that I figured out had 3 A's in it in "yellow".

Anyway, I also want to thank everyone for tips on the reticle here. I've noticed the small boxes that shows your weapons status etc. I've been working on looking at it more. One big plus and I do not use gauss that often (Shooting and hitting anything is not my strong suit) but I used to have to guess or hear the sound on it. Now I see that the little box for the Gauss changes colors and tells you when everything is ready.

#9186 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:13 AM

View PostMechwarrior 37, on 22 December 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

Yeah, I have to run everything on low or off. It sucks, I'm shooting walls I can't see. One thing that bugs me is that I cannot tell if an enemy mech is facing me or facing the other way.

I'm lucky to have this PC so.....

Yesterday I had a great example of my eyesight. I keep a number of small flashlights around to help me find things. It seemed like one needed new batteries. After taking them out, they looked like AAA ones but I was not sure. I studied the battery with a magnifying glass. And finally tiny parts of it at a time. I finally found a "red" box that I figured out had 3 A's in it in "yellow".

Anyway, I also want to thank everyone for tips on the reticle here. I've noticed the small boxes that shows your weapons status etc. I've been working on looking at it more. One big plus and I do not use gauss that often (Shooting and hitting anything is not my strong suit) but I used to have to guess or hear the sound on it. Now I see that the little box for the Gauss changes colors and tells you when everything is ready.

That's right, the 6 weapons boxes correlate to your six weapons groups (I don't pay attention to them as much these days but I believe the left 3 are groups 1, 2 and 3 and the right 3 are groups 4, 5 and 6).

For computer, if you can window shop online occasionally. (Never get your computer at walmart). (Never buy an all in one computer, they're terrible for gaming). (Laptops are twice as expensive for half as much as a desktop). Sometimes you'll find a pretty good deal. When I got my computer in 2011, I saved up a hundred bucks every two paychecks and bought it for around a thousand. Now you can get the exact same thing for about 600 (probably even less) (including the AMD RX9 video card I bought 4 years after the fact to replace the twin cards I originally got).

MWO runs about as well as it can when you have 16 gigs of ram. Though what really matters for MWO is the processor (the game uses far too much of it and it has issues with only using two cores rather than spreading its load across multiple cores which would improve processing and energy consumption by the game). If you got something like Celeron or whatever AMD's cheap processor is, no amount of upgrading ram or video card is gonna matter.

As for eyesight, my wife uses glasses and contacts. Though as of late lasik eye surgery is considerably affordable around holiday seasons, so I wonder if she'd want it next year to not have to have those things on her eyeballs or the discomfort of glasses. From the way you describe it, it sounds like its time to see an ophthalmologist (eye doctor).

Edited by Koniving, 22 December 2018 - 10:14 AM.

#9187 Mbunkley

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 11:07 AM

I just bought a Mech clan pack. It was suppsoed to come with Faction content and I was supposed to able to pick? Where does this happen and where do I redeem this?

#9188 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 11:48 AM

View PostMbunkley, on 22 December 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

I just bought a Mech clan pack. It was suppsoed to come with Faction content and I was supposed to able to pick? Where does this happen and where do I redeem this?

Your profile page, content tab (under the main headers). You can select any content you can from there.

#9189 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:50 AM

View PostKoniving, on 22 December 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

That's right, the 6 weapons boxes correlate to your six weapons groups (I don't pay attention to them as much these days but I believe the left 3 are groups 1, 2 and 3 and the right 3 are groups 4, 5 and 6).

From the way you describe it, it sounds like its time to see an ophthalmologist (eye doctor).

Thanks, the only one I look at is the Gauss one.

As far as seeing an "eye doctor" for a problem I've had since birth, I just do not want to go over it. Very depressing, lol.

#9190 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:45 PM

View PostMbunkley, on 22 December 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

https://mwomercs.com/profile/content

#9191 Deathsiege

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBay Area CA

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:14 PM

Hi returning player here. I have about 100 mechs. I left game before the skill tree revamp. I don't know if I have the where-with-all to reskill all my mechs. Is there an advantage/disadvantage if I do or don't? Are there player templates to use? Are the Beer Warriors still a thing? Thanks.

#9192 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:52 PM

View PostDeathsiege, on 27 December 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

Hi returning player here. I have about 100 mechs. I left game before the skill tree revamp. I don't know if I have the where-with-all to reskill all my mechs. Is there an advantage/disadvantage if I do or don't? Are there player templates to use? Are the Beer Warriors still a thing? Thanks.

I would recommend skilling mechs as you use them, not all at once. If you try to skill all mechs at once, you will overload and explode...

As for advantages for being skilled out, yes. You should want to skill your mechs (if you can) before you heavily use them. The skills to provide visible advantages you can notice when you use them.

I can, at a slightly later time, post an "average" skill tree formation. I don't have access to this at the moment. However, even if you use a base skill setup, you should always leave room to adjust the build for each build. Also, don't forget to be willing to create non-base skills for some mech, as not all will like being crammed into the same shape.

#9193 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:53 AM

I don't know if I have the where-with-all to reskill all my mechs.
Of course you do. Since you can export the skill build and apply it on another mech, the process is much faster the more similarly kitted out chassis you have.

Is there an advantage/disadvantage if I do or don't?
A fully skilled mech generally performs better than an unskilled one. This isn't unlike the old mastery system where a mech with no skills was substantially inferior to a fully mastered and kitted out one.

Are there player templates to use?
https://mwomercs.com...ryhard-edition/
Some of his choices may be debatable, but it's a decent starting point.

#9194 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:07 AM

A basic skill setup, with lots of room to adjust the specifics to the build:
a0000000000000000b00c83c33c00000000000000e86f630e000000000000
Has a touch of survival, without fully committing to it (as I don't know the builds you have).
Has all the cool run nodes, as most mechs run warm and they are normally helpful.

Beyond those 33 skill nodes, the rest would be up to you.
Packing LRMs? Then get Adv Target Decay from the sensor tree.
Got ECM and want it to work better? Nab the ECM skills.
Want to go faster? Then seek mobility for speed tweak.
Twist really slow (Kodiak)? Mobility tree for more twist speed.
Then, from there, flavor with appropriate weapon tree skills.

I personally normally take five skill points into Auxiliary tree for UAV and Cool Shot (if my mech runs warm enough). Other people might suggest strike skills. I personally have stopped using strikes (for the moment) over Cool Shots because I got tired of allies literally running into my strikes (or the game doing something silly and dropping the strike on my own head somehow). I also find strikes can be unreliable, a sometimes you've got that perfect spot to drop on... but then a teammate uses one and you can't right as you try to... So this is up to the player.

Now, outside using the basic build I just posted, one could also always negate the survival for more skill points in other spots if one needed the extra points. For example, a Locust or Flea really don't need those survival traits, they just don't have enough health for it to honestly help them. Concentrate on Mobility for those mechs.
If you are running a Gauss build that never overheats, then cross off the Cool Run skills (and probably operations completely) and place those skill points someplace else.

As mentioned, not every build will fit a general cookie cutter skill setup. But I find most builds use the skills from the build I posted already.

#9195 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:10 PM

I often find myself looking for the less heat generation skills in the firepower tree and others along the way. Range is not usually important, but you have to traverse several of those to get to any others.

If you are not aware, please ask about HSP, HXP so we can tell you about the conversion to the new skill tree. If you've already read up on this, great.

#9196 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:25 AM

View PostTesunie, on 28 December 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

Want to go faster? Then seek mobility for speed tweak. Twist really slow (Kodiak)? Mobility tree for more twist speed.
The gotcha is that the mobility tree only benefits mechs that are really agile to begin with. That Kodiak would benefit more from Survival tree than Mobility tree.

#9197 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 07:35 AM

View PostHorseman, on 29 December 2018 - 05:25 AM, said:

The gotcha is that the mobility tree only benefits mechs that are really agile to begin with. That Kodiak would benefit more from Survival tree than Mobility tree.

I rarely play my Kodiak (I got it in the old loot crate system, and didn't really want it but I have it). I'm hoping that the Mobility tree can get it to twist a little better, on top of the survival tree as well. Right now, I can't even track a target, forget twisting damage around. Not to mention it's accel and decel rates are horrible (I normally pilot mediums or more nimble mechs).

One good thing about the skill system as it is now, low cost experimentation. I'll definitely take your advise and do survival. Full survival or only partial (get the armor nodes)? I was going to do full survival (excluding the AMS nodes).

#9198 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:27 PM

So I took a hiatus around the time that the clan laser nerf earlier this year went live and have only been playing again for about a week now. I got a little over 3,000 MC banked. Are there any hero mechs that have significantly improved since then that would warrant considering buying or is it pretty much what it was like half a year ago?

#9199 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:06 PM

They haven't changed much.

This said, any around 1,900 (except IS light heroes) worth getting?
(I own all the IS light heroes already)

#9200 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:11 PM

View PostKoniving, on 29 December 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

They haven't changed much.

This said, any around 1,900 (except IS light heroes) worth getting?
(I own all the IS light heroes already)

A little cheaper but the side torso energy mounts that are exclusive to the Kit Fox hero are phenomenal. When I want to relax I just take that thing out with 5x ML, 3x AMS, and an ECM and can tend to do a surprising amount of damage. I think my record match with that is 5 kills and 800 damage. Takes all the stress out of "god dammit Polar Highlands AGAIN??" when you can provide a pretty great umbrella.

Edit: Also it's a little risky and runs extremely hot but those mounts are great for dual PPC poking. The Adder might do that better, though.

Edited by IllCaesar, 29 December 2018 - 06:14 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users