#41 Mech Wrench

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 222 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostApostal, on 04 October 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

Simply because all Kuang did was take the hud layout from another mech (that could be running the 200XL) and overlay it on the image to demonstrate how the UI overlays the cockpit structure, and that's at a stock fov of 60. I can imagine those with custom fov will be further hampered.

Nope. Im looking at the original.

#42 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostMech Wrench, on 04 October 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Nope. Im looking at the original.

Could be they put in a 190 and then the extra 3HS into the CT and Head... it's hard to make out but the total is 10/10, just doesn't really say where the heatsinks are. And with no hud you can't make a guess on if they modified the locust at all. Typically I'm not sure if they show all CT heatsinks together or not, might need to drop in a training ground and look at the panel.

#43 Alek Ituin

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

I think everybody is freaking out about the Locust's cockpit, which is perfectly fine.

Ever seen the cockpit on a Bf-109, Fw-190 or Me-262? Cant see s**t out of those things, its a f**kin wonder how Germany managed to fight a war with em for 6 years. So i'm sure that since you can pewpew airplanes in massive numbers when in an aircraft that has s**t visibility, you can just as easily pewpew giant stompy robots with some little bars in your way (and MUCH higher general visibility).

TL;DR - Nut up or shut up about the Locust cockpit.

Edited by Alek Ituin, 04 October 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#44 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

View PostApostal, on 04 October 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

I think that's what they want... to force players into 3PV to use the locust.

I don't know about that. I think they want the cockpit to feel a bit restrictive is because the mech is just so small. I can't see them making mechs to FORCE players into 3PV.

#45 Audlyn

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostApostal, on 04 October 2013 - 02:10 AM, said:

The spider... now the locust... when will it be the flee's turn?!

Afterall it seems insects are the name of the game with broken hit detection...

Except a spider is not a insect, right?

#46 Alek Ituin

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostAudlyn, on 04 October 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

Except a spider is not a insect, right?

Arachnids tend to fall into the general categories of "EWWW F**K KILL IT!!!", and "WHY DOES IT HAVE SO MANY EYESSSSSS/LEGSSSSS!!??!?" with a lot of standard insects.

Edited by Alek Ituin, 04 October 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#47 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostAlek Ituin, on 04 October 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

Ever seen the cockpit on a Bf-109, Fw-190 or Me-262? Cant see s**t out of those things, its a f**kin wonder how Germany managed to fight a war with em for 6 years.

Commenting on this. That is a huge exaggeration and I'm pretty familiar and a buff for all variants of the Bf-109, Fw-190, and Me-262.

Bf-109 went through several versions of the cockpit - from a boxed cockpit, a mid-war version which removed some of the box frame and armor on the back of the cockpit seat - so the pilot could look behind them, and the Erla-Haube cockpit which was the best possible frame for a cockpit on the Bf-109. With an experienced pilot, the Bf-109 could outmaneuver practically any Allied aircraft.

Fw-190 - had at least two versions of the cockpit, both of which were easy to see directly behind you. The later version was a half-bubble canopy and the cockpit itself was roomy enough to view forward and rearward.

The Me-262 - From its initial design was given a bubble canopy.

They were able to fight a war with those planes, because they were literally some of the best piston engine planes to have been produced at that time. The Fw-190D-9, Ta-152, and Bf-109K4C3 by 1945 were all very close in performance to Allied piston aircraft - but Germany's pilots flew until they died or were wounded, only a handful of aces survived.

The highest scoring pilot of all time, in all of history, is Erich Hartmann who flew a Bf-109 for the entirety of his flight career and flew a Bf-109G-6 on the very day of Germany's surrender. On that day, he spotted American P-51's far above Czechoslovakia, but realized they did not see him and instead attacked Russian Yak-9's and shot them down, then landed his plane and surrendered to the U.S. 90th Infantry Division.

Edited by General Taskeen, 04 October 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#48 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

Things I see.

Might as well take all your arm armor off. No ones hittin those tiny buggers anyway (I already cant use my Cicada's arm shields and they're about twice as big as those if the model next to the Spider is any indication).

While you're at it, might as well strip your RT/LT armor as well since you absolutely will have a CT that juts out the entire way and the only part of your RT/LT that will be that tiny little spot right next to what will inevitably be a gigantic CT.

Smaller than a Spider eh? Not sure how I feel about that. Guess it'll be countered by the fact that the entire mech is basically just one giant CT.

Final thoughts. Its cute, but I'd rather have a Flea.

#49 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

So... it's the smallest mech in the game, specifically designed for scouting.... and you can't see anything from the cockpit? Yeah, that makes sense. Meanwhile, Stalker & Highlander, front line assault mechs designed like walking fortresses, have a panorama view of their surroundings like you're on the penthouse floor at the Hilton.

Spoiler

Edited by Alistair Winter, 04 October 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#50 ViridianKnight

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts
  • LocationThe Underdark

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:00 AM

WOW wit that cockpit ill feel like a prisoner, an will see sh*t,
and as far as i can derive form the picture where will the crosshair be!?!? right over one of the manny bars !?!?!?
otherwise cool mech!
lucky im a phoenix :)

#51 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:09 AM

View PostViridianKnight, on 05 October 2013 - 05:00 AM, said:

WOW wit that cockpit ill feel like a prisoner, an will see sh*t,

It's a Locust. Those mechs are produced like toilet paper. It is supposed to be anything but that luxurious cockpit you get in an Atlas/Awesome.

I personally love this cockpit, since it's been a really long time since we've gotten an actually interesting cockpit and not just a bunch of 3 reused bars randomly thrown around with a perfect panoramatic view of the surroundings... but without the issues such a cockpit should give you like a really big "shoot here!" sign.

#52 OneEyed Jack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:20 AM

I'd really like to see footage of people playing this, watching them bob their heads around trying to get a better view. LOL

#53 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:24 AM

The cockpit is indeed cramped up. But it doesn't bother me I won't use or buy any locust nevertheless. I'll wait the SH the next month.

#54 Arkmaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

I like the cramped cockpit view. Looks like the mech is sort of wrapped around you.

#55 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

just reading carrioncrows posts are so funny.
I broke into laughter (like a donkey).

on topic it is very interesting that one type has wider arms then the other.
suppose time will tell, could have been one that is older picture.

#56 Alek Ituin

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 04 October 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Commenting on this. That is a huge exaggeration and I'm pretty familiar and a buff for all variants of the Bf-109, Fw-190, and Me-262.

Bf-109 went through several versions of the cockpit - from a boxed cockpit, a mid-war version which removed some of the box frame and armor on the back of the cockpit seat - so the pilot could look behind them, and the Erla-Haube cockpit which was the best possible frame for a cockpit on the Bf-109. With an experienced pilot, the Bf-109 could outmaneuver practically any Allied aircraft.

Fw-190 - had at least two versions of the cockpit, both of which were easy to see directly behind you. The later version was a half-bubble canopy and the cockpit itself was roomy enough to view forward and rearward.

The Me-262 - From its initial design was given a bubble canopy.

They were able to fight a war with those planes, because they were literally some of the best piston engine planes to have been produced at that time. The Fw-190D-9, Ta-152, and Bf-109K4C3 by 1945 were all very close in performance to Allied piston aircraft - but Germany's pilots flew until they died or were wounded, only a handful of aces survived.

The Bf-109 only gained the Erla-Haube canopy after Erla [color=#000000]Maschinenwerk began modifying 109 models. The reason it helped so much was that the Eral-Haube canopy was used in conjunction with the Galland Panzer headrest, which was made of armored glass.[/color]

[color=#000000]As for the Fw-190, the cockpit's forward visibility is suspect simply due to the size of the upper instrument panel. Your gun sight, ammo counter, and a few other odds and ends are all stuffed into a large semi-triangular panel that comes up to eye level. That said, the Fw-190 had excellent side visibility, although its rearward visibility is... slightly worse then a modified 109.[/color]

[color=#000000]The Me-262 however is a different story. You can't see very well out of that thing at all. And it's not even close to a bubble canopy, it's more like an Fw-190 canopy minus the side visibility, slightly better forward visibility, and marginally acceptable rearward visibility. If you want a bubble canopy, look at an F-86 or an He-162, where your cockpit gives you so much visibility you almost forget you're surrounded by glass in the first place.[/color]

[color="#000000"]However, I do want to know what a 109K4C3 is, because that was never a variant of the K series. Ever. I think what you mean is 109K4 using the DB605DC running C3 fuel (like every other fighter in the Luftwaffe did, since 2/3rds of German fuel production in 1944/45 was C3). Although personally the 109K10 is better simply because of the MK103 Motorkanone and its DB605L giving it superior high altitude performance. It was also slated for a four bladed propeller IIRC.[/color]

[color=#000000]As for the Fw-190D series, the D9 was actually a rather poor aircraft, with the D12 and D13 using hydraulically boosted controls and having superior performance. As for the Ta-152, that can legitimately be called one of the best piston fighters of the war next to the Do-335, simply because of its staggering top speed at altitude. The Jumo-213E + MW50 and GM1 was superior to most any other engine configuration, especially with its intercooler system.[/color]

[color=#000000]Trust me, I know my German aircraft. I was just using common myths to forward my point that the Locust's cockpit isn't that bad. [/color]

#57 -CIBO-

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostJin Ma, on 03 October 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

lol with how small that mech is the pilot'd have to be laying down or something

I don't think you have a good sense of scale. The foot is roughly the size of an SUV if not bigger by a little bit.

Edited by Vorgier, 07 October 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#58 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostJin Ma, on 03 October 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

lol with how small that mech is the pilot'd have to be laying down or something

View Postanubis969, on 03 October 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

To me that cockpit looks about the same size as the Jenner, with the exception that the locust has more windows (well, a sunroof), and the Locust is missing the 'neck' of the Jenner.

Edited by DirePhoenix, 07 October 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#59 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:28 AM

The Screenshot is also at a 60degree FOV. At 90 or so which I guess alot of people use you will have a much wider FOV than a jenner. Sure theres tiles and **** clogging the windshield up front but it kinda looks cool.

Still won't stop be from using it as a Moneymaker: 2 spare tons is so i can fit the 190XL

#60 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

updated with shadowhawk and battlemaster. They almost look the same size in these pics. next to that hang in the back

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users