• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

My personal list is pretty short.

Yen-Lo-Wang:
The first 'Mech I got to celebrate the final reset of the game (I believe the 'Mech had just come out and the loadout made me curious) before encountering some technical difficulties that made me lose interest in playing the the game (I've got way too many games for my own good, so having one that doesn't work properly tends to drop very low on the priority scale).

This is probably the 'Mech I have been experimenting the most on. I tried pretty much every weapon with the ballistic hardpoint and noticed that i was having the most fun with either the Gauss (especially after the charge mechanic) or the LB10X. The little guy is fast, agile and eats armor for breakfast. Tends to get focused pretty quickly due to its reputation of using an AC20 with an XL engine, which will lead most people to assume it to be an easy kill.

Misery:
The 'Mech of a thousand builds. Aside from the over-glorified Meta designs, the Misery can run pretty much any build that involves a single ballistic weapon, making it incredibly versatile. It loves getting in the face of other people and feeding on their intestines but there are also fairly successful sniper builds. Many non-Meta Miseries are one of a kind designs that you only rarely meet a second time (as you need to be a special kind of crazy to even figure them out, but you'd be surprised how effective they can be).

#62 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:14 AM

Jester:

I had taken a break during the poptart meta, because every time I tried to pilot a mech similar to them, I wound up sucking.
I watched a few videos of people playing, stopped constantly rushing headfirst into battle, and started doing much better. The Jester is probably one of my favorite hit-and-run mechs, and I like a variety of loadouts on it. May just buy the K2, I'm more an assault guy.

#63 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

I had replied earlier, but only had one and I have some more now. By and large the hero mechs first and foremost have the strengths and weaknesses of the basic class that they belong to. The Wang can be a bit tanky. The Grid Iron has a huge "shoot me here" hunch on the right torso. And so on. Don't get a hero for a class you don't want to get two others and finish basics; you are crippling your mech by not getting it mastered.

Death's Knell
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun. Fastest thing on the field, turns on a dime, annoys people better than a spider. Doesn't have any jump jets (like all Commandos). Not a ton of armor on it, and if your arms get blowed up then you got nothin'. Recommended variants to buy and use for mastery: 3A, 2D (ECM).

Ember
Probably the best light hero available. An excellent finisher, 4MG grind up internals and 4MLas open up armor pretty quick. Has jump jets, but feels just the tiniest bit less manueverable as a Jenner. The machine guns are useless for anything only a little above or below you due to the limited torso elevation. Recommended variants for mastery: I did the S and H, but the K may be a better choice. For the H I had a pair of MGs in the torso with a pair of Small Pulse Lasers, tied on the same button. Plays almost exactly like an Ember. If you want the Ember experience without paying money, you can get the H. That keeps the Ember from being P2W, in my opinion.

Oxide
Very situational. Only Jenner with no jump jets, also has a small nerf to maneuvering. Primary use is with 4 streak launchers and BAP, though SRM and SRM/LRM versions aren't completely unlikely. If the other team has lights, you will kill them in a streak-cide and have mad fun. If they don't, then you won't. In my opinion the weakest of the Jenners, but still not a bad mech overall. If you don't find any lights to kill with it, then try to pick off enemies with open crits. Don't waste ammo, once it is gone you may as well blow up. Recommended variants for mastery: D and F. Or just get them all. The extra module slot on the K can be very useful, and a 4Mlas SRM4 or SRM6 build can be very effective.

Yen-Lo-Wang
The inspiration for billions of 'wang' jokes, but not a bad joke of a mech. As I had said before (on the first page of this thread), if you can survive the first few moments of the encounter with your right arm intact then you will be able to dish out a lot of damage. Recommended variants for mastery: A and D.

Grid Iron
If you don't have a HBK-4G, then this may be useful. I've had a lot of success running the GI with an AC20/3MLas 4G build. I got the version that has a cheerleader, which I find inspirational. But if I had already had a 4G, I think I would have been disappointed with this. The left torso missile slot doesn't add that much in terms of usability in my opinion. Recommended variants for mastery: anything other than the 4G. I ran the 4P and 4SP.

All things considered, I don't regret any of these and if I knew before what I know now, I would still buy them. I still run them from time to time and they are all effective mechs. The CBill bonus is nice, too.

#64 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:59 AM

The Grid Iron

Kinda like a SP and a 4H had a slightly socially awkward child.

I run it with a lbx, srm6, 3 medium lasers and a standard 250 engine. Good damage for good heat efficiency at decent speed. Use it for close range hit and runs and harassing people at longer ranges with the lbx and it all comes together nicely.

And it is awfully nice to just not have to care which shoulder people shoot. You lose one and you just keep on hunching!

But damn do i wish I could change that hideous default camo.

Edited by Dago Red, 03 June 2014 - 03:00 AM.

#65 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

View PostWTFClock, on 12 May 2014 - 04:14 AM, said:

Jester:

I had taken a break during the poptart meta, because every time I tried to pilot a mech similar to them, I wound up sucking.
I watched a few videos of people playing, stopped constantly rushing headfirst into battle, and started doing much better. The Jester is probably one of my favorite hit-and-run mechs, and I like a variety of loadouts on it. May just buy the K2, I'm more an assault guy.

I don't do as well in my Jester as I do in some other Mechs, but I have a lot of fun playing it...

#66 Antique

• PipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

Disclaimer: yeah I spent a lot on hero mechs.. but all of them are elited if not mastered.

Ilya: the workhorse hero mech, it does well in every setup, I like the tripple UAC5 setup, it tears through assaults like they are butter. This was my first hero mech and I'd buy it again if I had to :)

Heavy metal: this was my favourite hero mech for a long time, before the AC5+PPC meta I ran a fairly balanced build with this one, now I'm still trying to find a good build that suits me. all in all it is a great mech, with loads of variability and with loads of potential. just ditch the pink camo and you are set to go.

Fang: some say this one is the worst of the Fang/Flame hero mechs, but I'd disagree. It has insane speed and in the hands of a capable pilot it can be a total facemelter. You do have to combine crazy speeds with fast aiming and the remote chance that you will get hit badly (you are a dragon), but if you have the basic dragon mentality covered, then you can do amazing stuff with this mech (my avrg. dmg. per match is 518 with this mech, so yeah it is quite capable of being good)

Flame: same as Fang, but it has the awkward balistic hardpoint and I don't like lahzurs, so yeah. But it is the only dragon that can do AC20+4ML combo.

Boar's Head: It is an atlas, thats that. The only thing that this variant offers is the 6 hand mounted laser points. those can be quite devastating with the right setup (6LL+LRMs+tons of heatsinks, works wonders). But I'm actualy quite happy with the 6ML+AC10+LRM20 setup, nothing says die like a 6ML headshot. Oh yeah and you can sell the XL400 for quite some C-bills, since you won't be using that anywhere.

Pretty Baby: the mongrel of the AWS chasis. That being said it is the mech that I use when I want to have pure unrestrained fun. With XL380 and a brawler setup you are a barndoor that runs around faster than some waaaaaaay lighter mechs. It's just awesome how you can weave around fire and enemies with this mech, just to melt them away. Oh yeah, the guy who was first in the Assault VS The World in the AWS category, he piloted a PB, nuff said.

Protector: a workhorse again. supreme brawler, can do any setup you want. that being said, I can't seem to make it work for me, maybe it is the huge CT or something, I just die in this mech, a lot.

Misery: BEST. HERO. MECH. EVER. PERIOD. I'm not a fan of the STK chasis, but the Misery was a pure joy to play. It just wrecks faces, is practicaly unkillable if you twist properly and it has zombi potential. I ran various setups on this one, what most people don't know is that you have to be unorthodox with this mech, symetry is a big no-no with this mech since your balistic hardpoint gets blown to pieces by competent pilots quite fast. I use a 3LL+Gauss combo now, but I've had great succes with a 3ML, AC10, 2PPC combo too (it hits like a truck or the same as the AC20+3ML build, it just ain't that voulnerable to the balistic hardpoint being blown out). and the paintjob is just awesome.

Dragon slayer: just get this if it is on sale. you can see it being used in competitive play. it is the best at sniping and it is a damn victor. buy it or steal it, I don't care, just get it.

La Malinche: some say that this mech is the worst. I say that you have to love it and give it time, then it showers you with affection. Don't expect to be anything but a slow brawler to be effective with this mech. that being said, my scores are sky high with this mech (5.7 K/D after 61 games).

Arrow: just bought this one and I must say I'm having a blast. the stock loadout just needs a bit tweeking and then it is ready to go and be a absolute murderface.

#67 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:57 PM

I fear the Death's Knell. Seems like the best Commando in the game imo. Never bought one, sadly. Not worth buying into a chassis that I've hated since Closed Beta and haven't touched since. Just wanted to comment on that part. I'm always scared of losing a leg or my RT when one's around.

TDK, the Atlas, and the Cataphract all get my adrenaline rushing. The Death's Knell puts me into a state of fear that rivals an Atlas, think about that and tell me this Hero sucks.

Edited by Pezzer, 15 June 2014 - 11:59 PM.

#68 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:26 AM

View PostJeb, on 15 June 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

I don't do as well in my Jester as I do in some other Mechs, but I have a lot of fun playing it...

Jester is a great mech,sadly,the Quickdraw 5K does everything Jester does but better and faster.
I own both and i use Jester more because the c-bill boost.

#69 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

View PostPezzer, on 15 June 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

I fear the Death's Knell. Seems like the best Commando in the game imo. Never bought one, sadly. Not worth buying into a chassis that I've hated since Closed Beta and haven't touched since. Just wanted to comment on that part. I'm always scared of losing a leg or my RT when one's around.

TDK, the Atlas, and the Cataphract all get my adrenaline rushing. The Death's Knell puts me into a state of fear that rivals an Atlas, think about that and tell me this Hero sucks.

I have a TDK, this is the most fun Heroe mech in my opinion =)

NINJA!!!!!!!

You should be afraid when i come behind you, at 171kph, you can't touch me!!

#70 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

FIREBRAND:
Rifleman-Configuration (2 ML, 2 LL, 2x AC5) - i love it. solid dishing out of pain, a bit annoyed i sometime have to level 2 other Jaegers to Basic, get this one mastered.

PRETTY BABY:
Funnily, i like it. with a close to max engine, 2 MPL, 1 ER-PPC, 1 LRM15, and 2 SRM4, it plays surprisingly nimble. Yes i know its fat. but.. its strangely fun. I brought it when it was 50% cheaper so i dont reget it. Basic mastered.. 2 more Awesomes to go on *sigh*.

#71 Unoid

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

I'm a founder and I waited on my MCbills until a cool ass hero came. I saw golden boy and thought, Wow 5 SRM's at once!? AWESOME. no one will stay alive longer than two close direct volleys.

WRONG. Ghost heat implemented, and SRM's nerfed.

**** you PGI you can't code for ****. DX11? oh that's too hard on cryengine, x-fire or SLI? ohh too hard also. WAHHHH. Nubs

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users