What Is Happening With Hsr?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Kazairl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

There is a lot of heat on Spiders and Hitboxes at the moment. The prevailing consensus as far as I can see it that most hit detection issues are caused by Host State Rewind (HSR) discrepancies due to high latency. Perhaps this is true, perhaps it isn't. There could be plenty of other factors at play here. An incident last night leads me to believe this is a lot more complex that it first appears.

At the start of a match yesterday I saw some friendly fire. It was heavy hit that was followed by a lot of apologizing. The hit player started complaining until he realised he hadn't taken any damage. He reported red damage indicators on this HUD and cockpit shack but no damage on his paper doll. But how is that possible? Both the shooter and shootee agreed that the shot hit, yet no damage was recorded.

This suggests that server saw the incident completely differently to both players. Given both players hadn't even started moving how could that be?

My theories are:
1) PGI have disabled friendly fire for the first few seconds of a match (in some cases).
2) That HSR isn't always getting torso orientation right on the server side.

What other possibilities could it be?

Edit: Just to clarify: Mechs in my incident were a Firebrand and a Cataphract 4X, shooter shootee respectively.

Edited by Kazairl, 14 October 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#2 DamnCatte

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 171 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

From my experience, the paper doll still has some bugs. I've only had it once, though, with the latest patch, where it hasn't flickered one bit and I've lost both arms before being cored.

#3 MechFrog1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 630 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

Garth is on record stating he hasn't any issues hitting lights, so there must not be a problem.

#4 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Just to add to this I would like to give another example.

I was in my streak orion 2xLPL 4xSSRM"'s on Terra Therma I came accross a disconnected spider just standing still.

When I stay standing still, it was like very slightly glitching forwards and back a few times a second literally a few pixels on my screen.

Anyway, I walk up to this spider, probabaly 10 metres away, stang still in front of it, aim for centre torso and fire my LPL's )wanted to save streak ammo on a DC) anyway, I hit this spider dead on the centre torso. My crosshair goes red to indicate a hit, and I look at the targets damage in my sensors, and he flashes to indicate damage BUT, the sipders torso is only very slightly yellow.

So I fire again LPL in the torso, and again, and again hitting in dead on each time (remember both mechs are stationary and I am 10 meters away from him).

After about 5-6 volleys his torso is only just starting to go orange.

Not wanting to miss out on the kill I fired a volley of streas and BAM! damage as you would expect, second volley BAM, arm and leg blown off and 3rd one killed him.

So the streaks obviously worked, but wtf with the lasers?

Now I have hit stationary spiders before ok, my only thing is that when the sipder DC's he was moving at speed, but because he DC's abruptly does the server think, or at least treat the hit reg as if the sipder is moving, even though he was stationary?

Either way, spiders definately have some kind of hit detection/lagshield bug as I have no problem or issues hitting any other fast light mech aaprt from Spiders.

#5 Kazairl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

Just to clarify: Mechs in my incident were a Firebrand and a Cataphract 4X, shooter shootee respectively.

#6 Kazairl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

Can I take it from the fact this thread has been moved to "Patch Feedback" that this is a known issue associated with the last patch?

#7 Blue Footed Booby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHere?

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

View Postmint frog, on 14 October 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Garth is on record stating he hasn't any issues hitting lights, so there must not be a problem.

Hehe.

It's weird how unpredictable it is. I've instagibbed lights moving at full speed, then minutes later watched shots clip right through a stationary mech. It'd be neat if the test server had a matchmaking pool where everyone had all kinds of crazy debug visualizations enabled so we could see hitboxes and that sort of thing, maybe see a log of how much HSR had to rewind to figure out if you hit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users