Turning Your Commando Into A Stud

49 replies to this topic

#1 Name112297

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

The Commando is primarily a striker/scout mech. When I was a new pilot I chose the COM-1B because it was the cheapest and I wanted energy based weapons. As I gained experience, and C-Bills, I began playing around with the 1B, as well as purchasing and "tuning" the 2D and 3A. All have their plus sides and ways of using them. Sadly I have not used the 1D, however I can give advice based on its load-out options.

#2 Name112297

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

The COM-1B is a nice enough light 'mech. 3 energy hard-points and 1 (2) missile hard-point. I found that keeping the large laser and medium laser is very nice even though you shouldn't use this variant, or any, as long range 'mechs. I found the SRM 2 to be pointless and scrapped it for an AMS with 1 ton of ammo freeing up some space for a small laser in the third hard-point. Now you shouldn't need an AMS on a light 'mech but if your running a protection job it could be nice if your teammate doesn't have one. Although there are better things you could do with that ton and a half and I welcome your input on this variant. As far as normal equipment goes XL 195 engine in all your variants and definitely double heat sinks on this as it generates a bit of heat with three lasers. Endo-steel infrastructure opens up enough space to give it a nice armor boost which can be the normal standard armor. (I found that ferro armor isn't that useful and just takes up more slots. This is the load-out I use on my COM-1B feel free to play around with the layout http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ab5bc76f8dde31c

Edited by Arn Cronkar, 07 October 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#3 Name112297

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

The COM-2D, a battlemech that a lot of people praise for the ability to use an ECM. Yes this trait is a nice addition, and the SRM 4 and 6 are very welcome indeed. The medium laser is fairly useful as it gives you something with no ammo to fire should you run out of ammo, which for a striker is very possible if you don't give yourself/ have no space for a lot of ammo. The ECM capability makes it a great protector of LRM boats and assault 'mechs. The SRMs make it and the 3A the only light 'mechs, in my opinion, of being able to brawl with bigger 'mechs. Now of coarse you must use speed but you don't have to run in circles like Jenners, Ravens, and Spiders. You can swiftly weave in and out of the enemies view. I have taken out plenty of lone 'mechs or at least stalled them enough for help to arrive and then move on to the next. While the protection role may seem unappealing it is very team play oriented and fairly rewarding when lights try to outmaneuver the heavy or assault your protecting only to find you, a pilot who's more than capable of interrupting their attack, destroying them, and resuming the spotting/ ECM coverage role. This is my load-out for the COM-2D, feel free to play around with the layout http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b627a577c471a5d

#4 Name112297

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

The COM-3A is by far my favorite of all the Commandos. The 2 SRM 6s and 2 energy hard-points make this an even better brawler than the 2D. The lack of ECM capabilities make this 'mech a pure striker. The weapon load-out coupled with the XL 195 engine (which should be in all Commando variants) has turned it into the most successful variant I've made. I've taken out Stalkers, Cataphracts, Catapults, Jeagermechs, and almost all medium and light mechs at least once. I did take out an Atlas although he was a bad pilot, but the damage output is there! Not much to say except I recommend this over any other variant, and other light chassis' if I do say so myself. This is my load-out for the COM-3A, feel free to play around with the layout http://mwo.smurfy-ne...79a27e250b5e9f3

#5 Name112297

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

I hope this topic gives some refuge for the few Commando fans out there and hopefully future commando pilots. Please post comments, opinions, and your Commando stories as well as suggested variants utilizing the mechlab website I was refered to by a friend - http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab - Enjoy and Ill see you on the battlefield mechwarriors.

#6 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

I prefer the XL200 over the XL195, as the extra space you save with a HS in the engine lets you mount Endo and FF if you want comfortably.

#7 Name112297

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostBront, on 08 October 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

I prefer the XL200 over the XL195, as the extra space you save with a HS in the engine lets you mount Endo and FF if you want comfortably.

All my units have Endo-steel, and while the added bonus of FF would make it nicer in combat the speed at which you move with just the XL 195 is sufficient enough, I've found, to avoid getting hit. However I'd like to see your load-out if you use the 'mech lab website. I'm up for all ideas for Commandos, for instance the 3A could be used as a light support given 2 LRM 5s, two medium lasers and a BAP. Once again proving the Commando is much more versatile than other lights. But please do send me what you can do with the XL 200.

Edited by Arn Cronkar, 08 October 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#8 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostArn Cronkar, on 08 October 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

All my units have Endo-steel, and while the added bonus of FF would make it nicer in combat the speed at which you move with just the XL 195 is sufficient enough, I've found, to avoid getting hit. However I'd like to see your load-out if you use the 'mech lab website. I'm up for all ideas for Commandos, for instance the 3A could be used as a light support given 2 LRM 5s, two medium lasers and a BAP. Once again proving the Commando is much more versatile than other lights. But please do send me what you can do with the XL 200.

I've used this 2D for a while, though I think I like this one better.

I didn't keep the 1B or 3A once I finished those. Didn't care for them, though my best w/l ratio is with the 3A (and strangely my worst K/D ratio)

#9 Name112297

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostBront, on 08 October 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

I've used this 2D for a while, though I think I like this one better.

I didn't keep the 1B or 3A once I finished those. Didn't care for them, though my best w/l ratio is with the 3A (and strangely my worst K/D ratio)

Yeah I can see the first one being out gunned by some of the nicer light variants, but that second one looks like a nice light mech hunter. Mine are more geared towards short brawling skirmishes then getting out and going in for another run, lots of damage but not a lot of kills unless I find lone mechs. But those are nice load outs thanks. I like fast brawlers/support roles. I only own commandos right now but I might get a Kintaro KTO-18 for its missile hard-points, I'm a fan of SRMs hence my love for Commandos haha.

#10 Eldane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Cmd-3A with 2 mpls and 2 ssrms is some of the most fun I have ever had in this game!

And sdr's will fear you...

I've Mastered all 4 cbill cmd's and usually run an xl 200 or 210...though the 195 would allow me to run 3 ssrms and a med laser instead of the small laser I run on my 2d, it's a bit expensive in this day and age and I'm not entirely sure it would benefit my other mandos.

(I should also mention I am horrible with srms on lights)

If I remember. When I'm not on my phone I'll post some links to my finalized builds for all my lil bastids, it's entirely possible to rack up 500 dmg and 3-5 kills in these, and they are widely considered one of, if not "THE" the worst light.

People knock the rvn-2x and 4x as well but both can also be very solid with the right build/playstyle.

Edited by Eldane, 11 October 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#11 DiamondDwarf

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Thx for the work :(
I like the Commandos too.

#12 Name112297

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Running a SRM COM-3A or COM-2D is a little challenging but pretty fun once you get the hang of it down. Someone once called my little 3A a tiny atlas, and that's what I kinda think of them lol. Yeah there are not many Commando fans around, how do you like the 1D Eldane? I have not been able to find a "great" way to use it, you know something that stands out from the other variants.

#13 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 491 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

I wouldnt say all of them should run an XL195. The Deaths Knell can use an XL 210, still have the 4 medium lasers, and plenty left over for heat sinks and armor. TDK is like the 1B only a little bit better with the 4th beam weapon slot.

good posts, I love my Commandos as well.

#14 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Great post, good tips! Commando pride!
Heres a fun build BTW TDK with 2 LL and an XL 195

ATTENTION commando pilots, I feel safe letting this secret out here as it will attract mostly commando pilots.
Commando REAR side torso hit boxes are non existent. Go look in the mech lab, i swear it. I utilise this little secret to great success. 21 armor on the front side torso's, 3 on the rear side torso's, I havent been killed from rear side torso damage ever, and I use XLs. The downside to this is you have to have a bit more rear CT armor. My front CT has 20 armor and what ever is left goes to rear... I think its 18 or so.

Edited by DONTOR, 14 October 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#15 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

Here's what my stable of Commandos currently look like:

COM-1B "Li'l Horror"
COM-1D "Ghetto Panther"
COM-2D "Standard Streak+ECM"
COM-3A "Surprise!"
Death's Knell "Standard"

I mostly run the TDK (for that extra cash) or the 3A these days, but I've had a lot of fun in the other variants as well - except for the 2D after ECM arrived. I've run it about ten matches since then and it always feels like cheating; it has a 6.0 KDR...

Edit: I have about 1,000 drops in total in Commandos. I love the little buggers to death :ph34r:

Edited by stjobe, 14 October 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#16 Eldane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostArn Cronkar, on 13 October 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Running a SRM COM-3A or COM-2D is a little challenging but pretty fun once you get the hang of it down. Someone once called my little 3A a tiny atlas, and that's what I kinda think of them lol. Yeah there are not many Commando fans around, how do you like the 1D Eldane? I have not been able to find a "great" way to use it, you know something that stands out from the other variants.

I settled on 2 ml, 2 ssrms, and bap. He's a good little skirmisher when I need him to be but I try to hang back a bit whenever possible.

Having both lasers in one arm means I can't play it as more of a brawler like I tend to run the 3a.

#17 Name112297

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostEldane, on 14 October 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

I settled on 2 ml, 2 ssrms, and bap. He's a good little skirmisher when I need him to be but I try to hang back a bit whenever possible.

Having both lasers in one arm means I can't play it as more of a brawler like I tend to run the 3a.

Yeah, I don't like 'mechs that have their weapons centered on one or two areas, but its a nice alternative between the 1B and 2D. I would like to try it out but I'm saving for the project phoenix 'mechs.

#18 Name112297

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

stjobe, I liked the 1D variant, Id like to see that. I wanted to do a ppc variant but I chickened out cause there wasn't much close range defense. In this variant Id see if maybe I could squeeze an extra SRM or maybe a small or medium laser in place of that Artemis IV. Not sure if it'd work better just a suggestion.

#19 Name112297

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Dontor, thanks for the tips, good to know, I have noticed that its only my rear center torso, and looking at it now, it is really slim hahaha. And to Mogney, the XL 195 is my personal favorite and I'm sorry I didn't mention the Death Knell, I forgot about it cause I didn't feel like paying for it. My friend has expressed interest in using the XL 210 in my other Commandos its just I felt better using the 195. Speaking of which could you show me your load-out or experimental load-outs you've came up with for the Death Knell? Id be interested in seeing what people can do with an all energy COM.

#20 Name112297

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

And the Death Knell is a better version of the 1B haha, that SRM 2 is almost useless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users