Balance For Mechs In Battles

19 replies to this topic

Poll: Balance For Mechs In Battles (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we want this?

1. Yes! (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No! (8 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Leifur Eirikson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 725 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

Hello All...!

First i have to say sorry for my "bad" English.
Our Unit had an Idea!

The Situation at the Moment is, that we have sometimes a lot of Assault and Heavy Mechs on the Battlefield. To drive a Medium Mech is even harder. We had Fights with 6-7 Assaults, with none Lightmechs.
In the BattleTech Universe the Units will have much More Medium Mechs then Assault Mechs. But we don`t want to "limitated" the Assaultmechs in the Gamemechanics. Our chaning Idea will be in the Earning-System.

The Idea is, from the momentary Money-System, that the different Classes will earn different Money:

Light Mechs will earn 100% (same as now!).
Medium Mechs will earn 125% (+ 25% from now!).
Heavy Mechs will earn 75% (-25%)
Assault Mech will earn 50% (-50%)

You can explain that with the much higher Costs in maintenance for the "bigger Guys", cause you dont have as much Factorys for the fat Boys then for the "slimer" Ones! And it would be very very good for the Game, to not have too much Assaults on the Field.

The % wich i wrote has not to be the "END".... you can talk about this. But if you will earn a LOT! of Money at the Moment, you have to Drive an Assault. More Damage - More Kills - More Money...! With the % for different Classes you can fix that "easy".... and then i think there are a lot more Mediums or Heavys to see then now!

Greets
Chris

Edited by Leifur Eirikson, 17 October 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

I second that... plain and simple -

...as an Assault Pilot by choice - i don't fear the reduction of income -

Edited by Karl Streiger, 08 October 2013 - 01:25 AM.

#3 Inkarnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

well what u said correlats with there intention at the beginning
of RandR wich limitet the Assaultmechs
well after they removed it guess what happened
yes everywhere assaultmechs since ppl want Cbills farming
and assaults give most XP Cbills
if you cut in that space and reduce Cbills
less ppl will take em.

in 12v12 chapter battles thou its your own
merit to use what you think would win you the game!

the problem on the other hand is that PGI wants to sell
big mechs for alot of MC Highlander Misery Boarshead
wich leads to a snake biting its tail.
I mean they want weightlimits but for sure cant impliment
them right if you keep that in mind since they would
reduce there sales amount

Edited by Inkarnus, 08 October 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#4 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

It's good, valid and logical idea, but probably won't work, because it will affect only part of playerbase - there is a lot of people playing since CB who already have like 100 million C-bills, they won't even feel the dent on their earnings.

Tonnage limits would help - maybe not only assigned to groups, but to whole drops.

#5 Kahoumono

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:06 AM

Not sure about this idea, some people, probably most aren't motivated by money. Having a hard weight limit and making assault pilots wait longer to search for matches is a better incentive.

#6 Leifur Eirikson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:27 AM

You are Right. It will not work for the People wich "own" a lot of Money... but now there should be a lot of new Players...! And i think PGI has to make the Mediums more Attractive then Assault Mechs.

Cause i HATE that Battles wich both sides have up to 5-6 Atlas... Sorry... i will never drive an Atlas and i have actually a good K/D with my Mediums. But no...!

When an Assault Earns 50% of the Money now.... he will have 4 Kills in a Game (Possible!!) he earns equal Money like an Medium wich makes 2 Kills! THATS Fair in my Opinion. Cause making 2 Kills with a Medium is harder... i think...

And to the other one.... SSM,
I think there are a loooooot of People wich are driving Assaults cause of Farming is much more effective then as a Medium and a Light!

#7 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostLeifur Eirikson, on 08 October 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

I think there are a loooooot of People wich are driving Assaults cause of Farming is much more effective then as a Medium and a Light!

This .... its a simple equation : 5 dmg = 1credit
The more damage i deal the more credits i earn. Assault = lots of weapons = much damage.

Although the assault tide is slowly turning - there are still a lot of players that started to play during the dark days of PPC-Alpha Warrior or Lurmageddon.

Next - look into the score boards even a worse pilot can deal a good part of damage in an assault.
A reduced income will make Assaults less attractiv for average players.

However - a dynamical percentage of income could use several modells too:
  • weight dependend + 100t Mech got 50% 85ton Mech got 52% ...
  • team weight dependend the team with the lower tonnage got a bonus
  • server data dependend
    • 2 week cycle - the devs look wich three or four variants are played less
    • those variants got an additional 50% income bonus
  • hero mechs are a problem however - a ultra expensive Bored Hat doesn't look that good when his additional 30% income will not grant you more money - making even the X5 a better grinding machine

#8 Leifur Eirikson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

Great Idea.... with the 2 Week Turnus!

#9 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostLeifur Eirikson, on 08 October 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

You are Right. It will not work for the People wich "own" a lot of Money... but now there should be a lot of new Players...! And i think PGI has to make the Mediums more Attractive then Assault Mechs.

Cause i HATE that Battles wich both sides have up to 5-6 Atlas... Sorry... i will never drive an Atlas and i have actually a good K/D with my Mediums. But no...!

When an Assault Earns 50% of the Money now.... he will have 4 Kills in a Game (Possible!!) he earns equal Money like an Medium wich makes 2 Kills! THATS Fair in my Opinion. Cause making 2 Kills with a Medium is harder... i think...

And to the other one.... SSM,

What is it with people in this game always wanting to punish people for playing the way they want instead of the way you want. "We should be allowed to TK people capping" "I don't like assaults so anyone who plays them should be punished with lower c-bills than the already low c-bill earnings."

You want more people to play other mechs types, and that is fine, but come up with a better way than punishing those who prefer to play different mechs than you.

#10 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 08 October 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

What is it with people in this game always wanting to punish people for playing the way they want instead of the way you want. "We should be allowed to TK people capping" "I don't like assaults so anyone who plays them should be punished with lower c-bills than the already low c-bill earnings."

You want more people to play other mechs types, and that is fine, but come up with a better way than punishing those who prefer to play different mechs than you.

Could you please explain - why do you think this suggestion will punish players?

Yes it will punish players that drive an Assault or a Heavy Mech only for grinding, not because they like it, or they are good with this Mech.
I drive almost Assaults, only - and i would like to see much more diversity in the enemy formations and numbers. Because players won't do this - the MM or the benefit has to encourage diversity.
Tonnage limit is one way - this is the other.

And really - if you are able to kill another assault in your assault - than you should be able to kill two Mediums. So 2 kills - at 50% is the same benefit as one kill at 100%

#11 Leifur Eirikson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

It seems only Fair my Friend....! My Idea i mean!

1 Kill one Assault with an Medium is a lot "harder" then to kill 2 Mediums with an Assault. So why should you get the double benefit with your Assault, when you can carry 2times the Weapons then my Centurion?

It should be the "same" Benefit... so it seems Fair to me!

#12 18 Inches of Hard Steel

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:31 AM

If the matchmaking gets fixed, maybe they could add a max of 4 mechs from any one weight class on each team. max 4 assaults or max 4 lights. this would automatically make the teams more diverse.

#13 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:57 AM

View Post18 Inches of Hard Steel, on 09 October 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

If the matchmaking gets fixed, maybe they could add a max of 4 mechs from any one weight class on each team. max 4 assaults or max 4 lights. this would automatically make the teams more diverse.

Not if there is no benefit of choosing a medium over a heavy....while in some cases the border is floating.

I will run all the time a Wolverine or Griffin over a Quickdraw - but not so sure about Orion and Victor/Awesome

But actually there is no way - you can get a Centurion or a Hunchback to work:
You can not defeat what you can not outrun.

#14 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

money is always a bad thing to force people to play something...

honestly, which mech i use makes no real difference for my average income ...

that would mean i wouldn´t be able to earn in the mech i prefere and have to drive a medium all day long just to have a decent income...

with your idea i would earn maybe 50-75k without premium if i perform GOOD in my assault... ripping my *** up in a match that is really thrilling and demanding should be rewarding...

the income is okay where it is currently - at least i wouldn´t like something like your idea happen to it... the cbill grind is hard enough if you don´t play 8 hours every day

Edited by Alex Warden, 19 October 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#15 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

If they bring a tonnage based MM - there will be also some "force" to drive a specified Mech.

At least without force - or a assignment table, BV + asyncron drops + campaign based settings (with supply and repair) - player will mostly use Mechs in overdrive - complete useless and nonsense builds as long they believe they can grind enough money or XP.

#16 Shrike ski

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 44 posts
  • LocationColumbus Ohio

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

well role specific rewards would help as well, lights and mediums excel at capping so perhaps rewards should be improved, also maybe make capping partially weight dependent so that faster mediums cap faster than faster lights, just an idea

#17 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

View PostShrike ski, on 20 October 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

well role specific rewards would help as well, lights and mediums excel at capping so perhaps rewards should be improved, also maybe make capping partially weight dependent so that faster mediums cap faster than faster lights, just an idea

I really hope that a kind of drop ship mode - can add some rolls too.
For example - you drive an Assault - you have to wait for your drop at least 1-2min. While lights are droped right at the beginning.
Allowing to scout - and make some slasher runs - at "strategic" depots - to increase the own "reinforcement" time and slow down the enemy reinforcement time - when Meds are droped they should defend those points.

Obviously - when Assaults are finally drope - battle is raging at some points - and they can do what they are supposed to do - change the tide of battle at specific hot spots.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 21 October 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#18 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:37 AM

Something like this could balance the pug matches towards lighter setups. When R&R was a thing I usually ran in the HBK to earn the most CBills per hour. This setup would encourage new players who benefit most from running mediums.

#19 The Black Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

So in a pug match where I get 7 kills and near 1000 damage in my atlas I deserve less money when I carried the team? (this isn't a cheese build by the way, 2ERLL, ac10 and 2 srm6) While I acknowledge lights and mediums need some kind of incentive boost, robbing me of money doesn't seem like a good idea. I think if cbills are the advantage people want for mediums and lights, give them unique in game achievements that grant them cbills, like extra cap c-bills, targeting and scouting bonuses but don't take my cbills away. The grind is already bad enough as it is.

#20 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

View Postthe black knight, on 21 October 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

So in a pug match where I get 7 kills and near 1000 damage in my atlas I deserve less money when I carried the team?

how often does that happen? 7 kills and near 1000 damage - i have to admit that the best killing i was ever able to do was 2 CTF and 3 Atlas in a single battle..both Catapracts were brought to there knees nearly sole handed.

But at least it doesn't matter - without mates that die for you - you wouldn't have been able for such a rating all the time - because that means you are an outstanding pilot...and in this case it doesn't even matter because every battle will bring you enough money.

The next thing----

Leifurs suggestion was only a rating. He doesn't said 50% of now... maybe those 50% for the assault class is 100% what we have now.

And yes it could discourage newbies to buy there first Assault and die in battle - they will automatically think they have a top tier "tank" why doesn't it behave like this?
Same as when you play WoT...high tier battle is always - high risk - high reward - and it have to be the same in MWO. Or do you like a game were a JaegerMEch can't outrun a Atlas?

Edited by Karl Streiger, 21 October 2013 - 10:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users