Please explain to me why ppl keeps on trying to compare this to World of Tanks?

133 replies to this topic

#1 Ishtar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationVirginia/DC

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

I don't get it and its starting to bother me.. and really getting annoying ... or maybe a little bit insulting..

I haven't really touched the game but I really do think that this games nothing on Battle-tech universe/Mechwarrior Universe.. by Far or is this how people try to compare every other MMOs to World of Warcraft?

Unless Piranha is from a European or Asia Country trying to lure and scam people out of their hard earn $$?

Anyone wanna explain this to me?

Edited by Ishtar, 15 June 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#2 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

Not another one of these threads..

#3 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

Ground based armored combat and free to play.

There are aspects of WoT that people hold up a concerns to address or avoid.

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

Well, it's kinda because it is the first game that comes to mind when you think of a F2P quasi-simulator of warmachines with garage. ;)

#5 Ishtar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationVirginia/DC

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostCarl Wrede, on 15 June 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Not another one of these threads..

yeah i don't how I would translate your response to my question being asked, but thank you for trying answer my question.

View PostAdridos, on 15 June 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Well, it's kinda because it is the first game that comes to mind when you think of a F2P quasi-simulator of warmachines with garage. ;)

I know its kinda like what? 11-12 yrs ago and not current... but wasnt't Mechwarrior it self the first? minus the equipment with real $$

#6 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

I personally compare it to League of Legends! Why? Because LoL is 10x more successfull than WoT and provides a better play experience (IMO!!!!!)

#7 Jayboltz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

Yeah I'd compare to LoL or HoN more than WoT. I think the business models will be more similar to those two games.

#8 WardenWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

-It's Free2Play, but folks here want to avoid some of the Pay2Win-ish elements it has (like better pay-only ammo)

-It has similar size battles (15v15, to MWO's 12v12)

-It has crew experience / progression, similar to the pilot progression MWO will have (but having only one pilot, instead of many crews, will be very nice I think)

-It has a meta-game that is clan only, while it sounds like all players can affect the meta-game in MWO

-It has tanks that can be upgraded as you get experience, eventually opening up other tanks (similar to variants in MWO, though I really like how this sounds better than WoT's implementation)

There are also many, many other similarities... and several things that many of us hope are different / better in MWO. It also shows that a F2P game can be very successful, which is part of what has opened the doors for MWO to even be made!

#9 Servocicero

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

Because WoT is a successful, f2p, armored warfare game, that is actually making money for its developer, and has no signs of faltering or going under. World of Tanks has been officially released for a little of a year, and it's player base is stronger than ever, they are releasing updates all the time, and implementing changes the fans asked for (and some the didn't). So, I for one, hope MWO shares those traits, and I'm sure others do as well.

#10 Der Kopfsammler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 239 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Because for those that never tried MW:O ( yeah MW:ONLINE... Im talking to you Beta testers *waves fist* ;) ) the first impressions were as it would be something similar to WoT. Many of us had a good experience on WoT, thus the comparing (in a positive way).

Edited by Der Kopfsammler, 15 June 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#11 chumppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVaasa, Finland

The gameplay is similar, of course depending on the map: waiting at a good ambush spot for radar info, duck and cover shooting between different types of terrain. It really is similar gameplay wise imho...

#12 Pax Noctis

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 65 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

I'd ask you (outside of lore/history and general setting) what the real difference is?

A BattleMech is an evolution of a tank. It has most of the same handling characteristics as a tank (rotating turret with tracking weapons, etc.), with a few extras for the sci-fi setting (things like jump jets, multiple weapons/groups and heat). Furthermore, here we have a free-to-play online game in which people will use their sci-fi tanks in relatively smaller-scale battles, choosing from the selection of BattleMechs they have available in their garage. You will be able to (as far as we know) repair and refit and buy/research certain stuff with credits, but there are advantages to buying gold including premium mechs (which basically have the same bonus as premium tanks in WoT) and changes to how you earn Exp and C-Bills (again, straight from WoT).

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for MWO and I don't really like WoT that much because of the pricing structure (too high) and the matchmaker, which is abyssmal, but I don't see how you consider them so radically different that you can't see that MWO is, conceptually, World of Tanks with much cooler sci-fi tanks, hopefully some cleanup to gameplay and pricing, and a rich body of lore to draw on.

#13 Lokust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouthern Michigan

View PostSideSt3p, on 15 June 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

I personally compare it to League of Legends! Why? Because LoL is 10x more successfull than WoT and provides a better play experience (IMO!!!!!)

They're pretty successful. WoT may be a fair bit more so.

#14 GuntherK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostIshtar, on 15 June 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

I don't get it and its starting to bother me.. and really getting annoying ... or maybe a little bit insulting..

I haven't really touched the game but I really do think that this games nothing on Battle-tech universe/Mechwarrior Universe.. by Far or is this how people try to compare every other MMOs to World of Warcraft?

Unless Piranha is from a European or Asia Country trying to lure and scam people out of their hard earn $$?

Anyone wanna explain this to me?

As previous posts have correctly said there are many similarities. Its much more logical compare MwO with WoT than with World of Warcraft.
"I don't get it and its starting to bother me.. and really getting annoying ... or maybe a little bit insulting.." that some people that admit have never played WoT to continue insult it gratuitously. WoT has serious flaws, but it also brought many good ideas and features to the genre, thats why their developers continue to get filthy rich and many players keep enjoying it.

That said i had great fun in WoT and will keep my account, but i will move my playing time here to MwO because i believe PGI can make the Battletech universe turn into the most fun thing to do since ice cream was invented.

Edited by GuntherK, 16 June 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#15 Doxy

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostWardenWolf, on 15 June 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

-It's Free2Play, but folks here want to avoid some of the Pay2Win-ish elements it has (like better pay-only ammo)

-It has similar size battles (15v15, to MWO's 12v12)

-It has crew experience / progression, similar to the pilot progression MWO will have (but having only one pilot, instead of many crews, will be very nice I think)

-It has a meta-game that is clan only, while it sounds like all players can affect the meta-game in MWO

-It has tanks that can be upgraded as you get experience, eventually opening up other tanks (similar to variants in MWO, though I really like how this sounds better than WoT's implementation)

There are also many, many other similarities... and several things that many of us hope are different / better in MWO. It also shows that a F2P game can be very successful, which is part of what has opened the doors for MWO to even be made!

He pretty much sums it up.
Premium Account/Mechs is also a similar feature to WoT.
So besides one using mechs and another tanks, they are quite similar

#16 Armageddon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

I certainly hope the gameplay and combat in this game is more thrilling that WoT. The first time I played WoT, I almost fell asleep. So boring!

#17 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostArmageddon, on 15 June 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

I certainly hope the gameplay and combat in this game is more thrilling that WoT. The first time I played WoT, I almost fell asleep. So boring!

Agreed. I keep trying it, but I feel so ineffectual and useless that I don't have any fun.

At least the way they've described MWO you can hop into just about any mech and actually feel like you're contributing and having fun.

I'm not a fan of any game type where you have to spend hours farming and not having fun before you can actually start having fun, so I'm hoping the ruleset that MWO is based on will prevent this.

#18 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

View PostTyra, on 15 June 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Agreed. I keep trying it, but I feel so ineffectual and useless that I don't have any fun.

At least the way they've described MWO you can hop into just about any mech and actually feel like you're contributing and having fun.

I'm not a fan of any game type where you have to spend hours farming and not having fun before you can actually start having fun, so I'm hoping the ruleset that MWO is based on will prevent this.

The hilarious part is that WoT was going to have roles for other than the heaviest tanks, and the dev teams still insists there are. So just take that into account when the dev team here sings the praises of the various roles and how having the heaviest mech won't be the best. I'm not saying they won't deliver but I'm a bit tired of hearing how the devs say this or that.. gameplay will tell, not dev blogs or what not. Same as the P2W that people are sure won't happen here, because I'm sure that all those games that ended up that way said that was their goal... what's that you say that these P2W games claimed they wouldn't be and the dev teams still try to say that....
Not doomsaying, just reminding people who've been to this rodeo before that the devs never say their game will be P2W, and most mean that, it just means that oftimes things don't go exactly as planned, or people lie.
Again not saying this game is definitely headed this way, just saying despite all the denials there's also no guarantee it won't. The best laid plans of mice and men and all that....

Oh and I love the fact the OP hasn't even touched WoT and doesn't think theirs any similarity ....

#19 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 15 June 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

The hilarious part is that WoT was going to have roles for other than the heaviest tanks, and the dev teams still insists there are. So just take that into account when the dev team here sings the praises of the various roles and how having the heaviest mech won't be the best. I'm not saying they won't deliver but I'm a bit tired of hearing how the devs say this or that.. gameplay will tell, not dev blogs or what not. Same as the P2W that people are sure won't happen here, because I'm sure that all those games that ended up that way said that was their goal... what's that you say that these P2W games claimed they wouldn't be and the dev teams still try to say that....
Not doomsaying, just reminding people who've been to this rodeo before that the devs never say their game will be P2W, and most mean that, it just means that oftimes things don't go exactly as planned, or people lie.
Again not saying this game is definitely headed this way, just saying despite all the denials there's also no guarantee it won't. The best laid plans of mice and men and all that....

Oh and I love the fact the OP hasn't even touched WoT and doesn't think theirs any similarity ....

I'm not worried about the heavier being better thing. As it's been pointed out, a laser does the same damage whether it's mounted on a light mech, a heavy, or a tank.

If they screw that up, this won't be Mechwarrior and they'll lose their built in fanbase.

#20 Birddog FAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 248 posts
  • LocationState College PA USA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

If MWO ends up like WoT ill stop playing the political clan battle deadlock is stuipid and has runined the game so has the elitism and mods made to make elitism more rampant that game was ruined the second clans started making alliances to purma hold gold making territories therfore farming what in all reality is real money locking clans out of that capability and stalling the battlefield to nothing... except landing that game was doomed as soon as the developers let that happen and tollerated multi clanning like the 5 billion AOD clans ... total loss of playability in the end game thanks WoT devs you suck

i hope the MWO Devs see this rant so the game stays fun end game

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users