Please explain to me why ppl keeps on trying to compare this to World of Tanks?

133 replies to this topic

#21 Southern Taxi

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationBehind your Mech.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostAdridos, on 15 June 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Well, it's kinda because it is the first game that comes to mind when you think of a F2P quasi-simulator of warmachines with garage. ;)

I actually think about Navy Field... but well, it seems WoT was more successful.

#22 darknothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 462 posts
  • LocationCanada,Ontario

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

stoped playing WOT, same game since closed beta 1, no gamemodes still!
sick of them just adding tanks and maps,
i spent alot of money on WOT, i will shift my focus here!.

#23 Elysion

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Yeah but heavier mechs have a lot more of those lasers that do the same damage=P

Anyway OP, because its very similar to WoT, thats why=P

#24 razorkill12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationJax, FL

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

go play it and figure it out.....ask stupid questions, get stupid answers

#25 Draco Argentum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostTyra, on 15 June 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

I'm not worried about the heavier being better thing. As it's been pointed out, a laser does the same damage whether it's mounted on a light mech, a heavy, or a tank.

If they screw that up, this won't be Mechwarrior and they'll lose their built in fanbase.

They'll still mostly be there to scout. I predict that anyone who doesn't like playing a dedicated scout in WoT won't like lights in MWO, the role is just so similar.

#26 BlindProphet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostDraco Argentum, on 15 June 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

They'll still mostly be there to scout. I predict that anyone who doesn't like playing a dedicated scout in WoT won't like lights in MWO, the role is just so similar.

Similar, but hey that atlas that just rounded the corner? You can actually damage him!

#27 WardenWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostDraco Argentum, on 15 June 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

I think you are on the right track, but the fact that there won't be the same view range limit / camo effect that WoT has should make scouting in MWO more realistic... and more survivable. It won't be about closing to super-close range with the enemy as much as it will be simply getting LOS with them.

View Postblindprophet, on 15 June 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

Similar, but hey that atlas that just rounded the corner? You can actually damage him!

Also a very good point!

#28 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostWardenWolf, on 15 June 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

I think you are on the right track, but the fact that there won't be the same view range limit / camo effect that WoT has should make scouting in MWO more realistic... and more survivable. It won't be about closing to super-close range with the enemy as much as it will be simply getting LOS with them.

Also a very good point!

I can think of several viable light mech builds that could do serious damage to a heavy or an assault.

#29 Elysion

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

My vk2801 could shoot explosions and i once took out an e75 with it who was only already half dead.

#30 The Crow2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationAustralia Mate !

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostIshtar, on 15 June 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

I don't get it and its starting to bother me.. and really getting annoying ... or maybe a little bit insulting..

I haven't really touched the game but I really do think that this games nothing on Battle-tech universe/Mechwarrior Universe.. by Far or is this how people try to compare every other MMOs to World of Warcraft?

Unless Piranha is from a European or Asia Country trying to lure and scam people out of their hard earn $$?

Anyone wanna explain this to me?

Both feature ground based armored combat.
Both are somewhat strategic.
Both are Vs team based.
Both are free to play.
Both have vehicles you can purchase with real cash that give better returns for using them than normal vehicles.
etc etc etc.

#31 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

I don't get it and its starting to bother me.. and really getting annoying ... or maybe a little bit insulting..

I haven't really touched the game but I really do think that this games nothing on Battle-tech universe/Mechwarrior Universe.. by Far or is this how people try to compare every other MMOs to World of Warcraft?

Unless Piranha is from a European or Asia Country trying to lure and scam people out of their hard earn $$?

Give it time, it won't take an Asian business to make plenty $$ out of players in the game.

They can't run on the will of players. Developers need paid for. Profit must be big. The only way that happens is BOXES, lots and lots of BOXES that give random items.

Be totally amazed if this game does not have such things or analternative.

View Postthe crow2k, on 15 June 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

Both feature ground based armored combat.
Both are somewhat strategic.
Both are Vs team based.
Both are free to play.
Both have vehicles you can purchase with real cash that give better returns for using them than normal vehicles.
etc etc etc.

I suppose it has to be compared to something.

We can compare elements of the game, systems and features to similar on other games also.

#32 The Crow2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationAustralia Mate !

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

View PostGHQCommander, on 15 June 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

Give it time, it won't take an Asian business to make plenty $$ out of players in the game.

They can't run on the will of players. Developers need paid for. Profit must be big. The only way that happens is BOXES, lots and lots of BOXES that give random items.

Be totally amazed if this game does not have such things or analternative.

I suppose it has to be compared to something.

We can compare elements of the game, systems and features to similar on other games also.

ugh I hate random boxes crap.... That would be as bad as letting us win "crates of salvage" after each battle and having to buy "gold keys" to open the crates to see what random salvage is inside.

#33 Draco Argentum

• 1,222 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

The Chaffe already can damage pretty well anything its matched against. The damaged recieved portion of the equation is the same, you get stomped if you are taking fire. The effect will be the same, bad lights will whine about getting trashed, good lights won't be getting shot.

View PostWardenWolf, on 15 June 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

Thats basically how passive scouting work in WoT, hide in a bush and a light sees people at least 5 times further away then they can see it.

#34 Forscythe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

People compare it to what they know. I compare it to MPBT since that is what I know. There is a plethora of people who played WoT and there is less that played the mechwarrior/battletech franchise. So I would assume that since there are alot of people who played WoT there will be alot of people to make threads of this nature. My take on it.

Edited by Forscythe, 15 June 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#35 Inappropriate359

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

If you look back at the earlier dev blogs and their basic design ideas, so much of it is a carbon copy of WoT. Free xp, mech-specific xp, style of gameplay, mech garage.. lol comparisons are inevitable when the fundamental design is so similar. This isn't a bad thing, mind you, as WoT's success should make obvious; they clearly aren't borrowing a failed game design. My hope is that PGI improves upon some of the poorer choices Wargaming.net made, especially in terms of the now-delayed Community Warfare pillar (a design analogue of WoT's clan wars).

#36 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

People shouldn't be comparing it to World of Tanks, in terms of business models, MWO is almost an exact match for League of Legends, whereas World of Tanks leans far more towards a pay-to-win model.

Edited by Orzorn, 15 June 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#37 BlindProphet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 15 June 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

People shouldn't be comparing it to World of Tanks, in terms of business models, MWO is almost an exact match for League of Legends, whereas World of Tanks leans far more towards a pay-to-win model.

Except in terms of gameplay structure WoT and MWO are almost identical....which is why the comparisons are drawn.

#38 DarkElf

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

WoT = most successfull F2P right now.

The similarity
Premium tank = premium mech, increase credit
Both game player need to grind credit.
Premium account
Both game have scout, medium, heavy, long range support role for mech/tank
Both team game 12vs12 in MWO, 15 vs 15 in WoT
Clan war = mercenary war
Camo = special skin
Tier system, MWO also have tier system although the difference between tier is very slight

The difference
So far MWO still saying no to gold ammo/consumable
You can't directly buy credit tank with gold, but apparently you can buy credit mech/ equipment with gold equivalent in MWO

Edited by DarkElf, 15 June 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#39 Outrider01

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

WoT in MWO terms would be selecting a mech (say UrbanMech even though its not in game), start battle, and then finding that the majority of the opposing team is driving Stalkers, Atlas, Awesome ect where your weapons on useless; that AC/10 and small laser would not in fact do anything to an Atlas unless you somehow manage to hit weak point like the small 2 cm thermal port the size of an indigenous rodent while beliving in some silly arcanic religion. Then the atlas, which is faster then the Urbanmech rolls up in your face and points the AC/20 at you, fires one burst and your mech goes up in flames causing you to lose by default since artificial fake hitpoint capped at low amounts that did not even exist in WWII (now comming straight from WoT) do nothing againt high power guns. Basicly, lesser mechs/tanks are useless in the world of WoT...aim for tracks but its the pure hitpoints that actually pay out rewards and critical hits give nothing, try to spot but heavy tanks see farther then the scouts, and only a select few silly over powered superior then the WWII Sherman (in the real world sense) medium class tanks in the game can scout far better while still being more effective then the middle tier tanks that get dragged in with them. And scouting...sorry but a low caliber gun on a light tank requiring you to be near a large threat does not pay out nearly as well (you get 50% of the reward, should your lame *** team manage to hit the tank) as that higher tier medium class tank that can not only light up the enemy but it can damage it at the same time.

And this is match, after match, after match. Because in WoT, there is no reason to drive anything else but the top tier tanks (in MWO, it would be driving assault mechs and clan type mechs for the medium tanks) and anyone driving a lower tier 5-7 tank is dragged in to higher tier matches consistantly. There is no other battlemode for quick public matches that puts a Sherman up against an equal tiered tank, its just a Sherman with 460 hitpoints going up against 1500 hitpoint tanks nearly all day. Not fun after the 50th match because you want to take it slower while the other dudes are NAO! NAO! FFS! NAO! GIMME MAI ***-STOMPING WONDER GOD TANK!!!

#40 DarkElf

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

View PostOutrider01, on 15 June 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

WoT in MWO terms would be selecting a mech (say UrbanMech even though its not in game), start battle, and then finding that the majority of the opposing team is driving Stalkers, Atlas, Awesome ect where your weapons on useless; that AC/10 and small laser would not in fact do anything to an Atlas unless you somehow manage to hit weak point like the small 2 cm thermal port the size of an indigenous rodent while beliving in some silly arcanic religion. Then the atlas, which is faster then the Urbanmech rolls up in your face and points the AC/20 at you, fires one burst and your mech goes up in flames causing you to lose by default since artificial fake hitpoint capped at low amounts that did not even exist in WWII (now comming straight from WoT) do nothing againt high power guns. Basicly, lesser mechs/tanks are useless in the world of WoT...aim for tracks but its the pure hitpoints that actually pay out rewards and critical hits give nothing, try to spot but heavy tanks see farther then the scouts, and only a select few silly over powered superior then the WWII Sherman (in the real world sense) medium class tanks in the game can scout far better while still being more effective then the middle tier tanks that get dragged in with them. And scouting...sorry but a low caliber gun on a light tank requiring you to be near a large threat does not pay out nearly as well (you get 50% of the reward, should your lame *** team manage to hit the tank) as that higher tier medium class tank that can not only light up the enemy but it can damage it at the same time.

And this is match, after match, after match. Because in WoT, there is no reason to drive anything else but the top tier tanks (in MWO, it would be driving assault mechs and clan type mechs for the medium tanks) and anyone driving a lower tier 5-7 tank is dragged in to higher tier matches consistantly. There is no other battlemode for quick public matches that puts a Sherman up against an equal tiered tank, its just a Sherman with 460 hitpoints going up against 1500 hitpoint tanks nearly all day. Not fun after the 50th match because you want to take it slower while the other dudes are NAO! NAO! FFS! NAO! GIMME MAI ***-STOMPING WONDER GOD TANK!!!

Obviously you don't understand fully the mechanic of WoT.

The MM is bad but lesser tank is far from useless in WoT, support your team Atlas/top tier tank, and flank the enemy atlas. Also most of time you can always deal damage to enemy tank because of weak spot.

Light tank have camo bonus + there's some little thing call passive scouting.

No one that i know always drive top tier tank. I have 5 top tier tank, but i almost never drive them because by the game mechanic the top tier tank wil always lose money on average. Most F2p player will drive tier 5 tank to gain credit, if you are premium player you will drive tier 6-8 tank for credit.

No one forcing you to grind for higher tier tank. Pick your favorite tier and play with that tank, someone even drive tier 2 tank T-26 for 13k battle!

Something that's i'm curious, how MWO plan to balance the class? WoT forced player to drive mid tier tank by using credit gain, very low at low tier, highest at mid, negative at top tier. What will MWO do to discourage player to always drive Atlas/ assault mech?

Edited by DarkElf, 15 June 2012 - 07:24 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users