7 replies to this topic

#1 tib3r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

I just wanted to drop off a few ideas so... here they are.

Light mechs: I think that there needs to be a few more added for sure. The mongoose and the urbanmech both look good, the mongoose being a fast moving energy based harasser with some cool electronics thrown in there, and the urbanmech because as silly as it looks, it does pack a nasty punch (an AC10 in such a small package, with an XL engine that little thing might move a little better to do some kinda nasty damage, and with the jets I am sure that it could present a nasty surprise now and again)

Melee weapons: I think that it would be cool, to balance it out make it where there is like melee attack module that handles the force it hits with in terms of damage and the speed which it can attack. Would be pretty neat to have it where you could choose an ax or a sword which ever floats your boat.

Assault mechs: While the current outlay of them is pretty cool, I think that a few more mechs would do this class well too. There really isn't as much variety with them as their is with say heavy mechs. Something that could carry lots of ballistics in both arms would be really awesome as well.
HINT Mauler, one of the most recognizable mechs thanks to MW2 Mercs.

Fire control systems: I, in real life, work on computer controlled weapon systems. I really think that by year 3000 that the firing control systems would be a lot cooler, here are a few ideas I had:

-Rotating fire (whatever it's called when you hit delete in the weapons grouping areas) make it where for example you could fire a pair of weapons at a time, then another pair. Also make it where you could control the time delays between them, so for example if I wanted to make it where AC2s continuously are firing the delay between them would be controlled enough to make that possible, or make it where two AC2s could fire at a time it would allow that etc.

-Targeting preferences where you can control to give targeting priority to mechs over X tonnage or Y distance.

-Ballistic sighting where there were more reticles depending on the distance, so there was a reticle for 300m, 500m etc. to account for the round dropping.

-AMS control, so that you could chose for the system to only go for lets say the REALLY close missiles that are going after you, or for larger assault mechs working groups that pack two AMS systems where they could pull the range out and protect a group.

-ECCM, would be especially handy on scouts.

More weapons/revised weapons. There are NO three ton weapons I can think of, or four ton weapons. I think that for the various mechs of lighter weight that would come in handy. Machine guns are too weak, nearly to the point of them basically just being there for... austerity?

Quadropeds, like the tarantula. Maybe move slower but able to climb steeper grades perhaps?

Customized parts, like alternate cockpits, arms, legs, feet etc so that pilots can make their mechs their own. It would be cool too for example if you could change certain hard points from one type to another for an astronomical fee as well.

I'm sorry I just let my mind run a bit. The firing control/mech systems tailoring is an idea I got from military tech in real life, I just think that it would be really cool to add something like that into the game, I think that the more players are able to customize combined with more varied content will make this game more fun. The challenge of configuring the system for certain situations would also add a great deal of thinking to this already awesome thinking person's game.

#2 tib3r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

I think that it would also be really awesome too if there was some form of offline content too.

Edited by tib3r, 10 October 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#3 FinsT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

More light 'mech? Sure, i'd like to eventually see it.

Melee weapons? Same.

Few more assault ones? Same.

Better chain fire control, with custom delays etc? Same.

Targeting preferences? Not really needed, imho; 1st, because it takes some time for systems to get detailed info on enemy - during which time preferences would be useless, but manual targeting would still do (based on visual profile etc); and 2nd, because good pilot targets enemies based on multiple criterias anyways, and tonnage and range are only two of those. End result would imho be such targeting preferences being useless most of the time.

More than one reticule? No thanks. I like it when there is only one, besides, it's quite a standard for "shooter" games to have only one. Besides, multiple reticules would be confusing in a close range dog fight, inevitably. Don't want that. The only thing of this nature i could see desirable - is some sort of sniper's grid in advanced zoom window, which would automatically highlight "correct" lines based on current distance to the object under reticule - could be used to accurately compensate for ballistics' projectile drop when firing at ranges beyond weapon's max range.

Limiting AMS range? No thanks. As far as i know, currently, AMS opens fire on any enemy missile within 200 (or was it 130?) meters range, however, it also always prioritize missiles which are fired at one's mech. So basically, as long as there are enemy missiles which are 1) within 200 meters and 2) are fired at you - your AMS will shoot at them, and not at missiles fired at other nearby friendly 'mech. Don't see any point in reducing its range. As for extending its range, - not supposed to happen, since AMS is machinegun-like weapon system, and this limits its max range by its very nature. Perhaps additional system, sort of "heavy AMS", which would occupy more slots and/or weigh more tons, could do that? Sure, i wouldn't mind if such a system would be added eventually.

ECCM: can't say if i am for or against until i would see what exactly this ECCM system would do specifically.

More weapons / better weapons: yes, yes please! :lol:

As for machineguns being weak - not exactly true. See, machineguns occupy specific niche: yes, damage is rather low, but they are NOT designed to burn through enemy armor anyways (and, should they be? Probably not). Their job is to tear internals whenever enemy has no armor on some section(s) of his mech. And this, machineguns do just alright - high rate of fire means LOTS of destruction whenever machineguns are hittings exposed structure of an enemy. One of my jagers goes around with 2 ACs and 2 machineguns - and i noticed clearly that this one takes significantly shorter time to finish enemies close-range in compare to other Jages i have.

Quadropeds... I guess it's a matter of personal taste, but to me, those do not appeal at all. Mechwarrior game - is not a zoo... %)

Customized parts... Again, possibly personal taste, but imho, i don't want to see that. Some kind of dignity would be lost if meddling with 'mech shaping parts would be allowed. Plus, as it is now, silouettes are clearly distinquishable; good pilots knows at once if he's seeing an Orion or a Highlander, etc. This would be much ruined by "Lego" style. Not to mention huge problems with balancing hitboxes, amount of armor per each major piece, etc. So, "probably not", i guess.

I am very surprised you do not mention any ideas about adding into MWO other-than-mech interactive elements. Don't you want it? I listed some ideas of the sort in my recent post, but perhaps you could think about more / different ones?

#4 tib3r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

The targeting thing exists NOW.

Like as in real life right now we have that kind of technology and it dates back years.

The reason I think that configuration would be the key is that it would enrich a lot of play content, it would challenge players even further to create and think of new ideas to make their mechs even more effective and more suited to their individual play styles.

#5 tib3r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

And about AMS....

Where it would allow you to pick the range, the degrees and areas of coverage, etc.

Distance and coverage would determine how well it works.
This is also real life tech that exists now.

#6 tib3r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

Oh, and about the reticles, in real life any time that you have to account for the falling of a shell there are lines on the reticle with multiple aim points to help aiming like that.

I figured it out with AC10 before, it would be easier however if they added in something to make it so that weapons with ballistic characteristics could be used from far off.

#7 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

i'd like to see urbie!

#8 Randalf Yorgen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

View Posttib3r, on 10 October 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

I just wanted to drop off a few ideas so... here they are.

Light mechs: I think that there needs to be a few more added for sure. The mongoose and the urbanmech both look good, the mongoose being a fast moving energy based harasser with some cool electronics thrown in there, and the urbanmech because as silly as it looks, it does pack a nasty punch (an AC10 in such a small package, with an XL engine that little thing might move a little better to do some kinda nasty damage, and with the jets I am sure that it could present a nasty surprise now and again)

Melee weapons: I think that it would be cool, to balance it out make it where there is like melee attack module that handles the force it hits with in terms of damage and the speed which it can attack. Would be pretty neat to have it where you could choose an ax or a sword which ever floats your boat.

Assault mechs: While the current outlay of them is pretty cool, I think that a few more mechs would do this class well too. There really isn't as much variety with them as their is with say heavy mechs. Something that could carry lots of ballistics in both arms would be really awesome as well.
HINT Mauler, one of the most recognizable mechs thanks to MW2 Mercs.

Fire control systems: I, in real life, work on computer controlled weapon systems. I really think that by year 3000 that the firing control systems would be a lot cooler, here are a few ideas I had:

-Rotating fire (whatever it's called when you hit delete in the weapons grouping areas) make it where for example you could fire a pair of weapons at a time, then another pair. Also make it where you could control the time delays between them, so for example if I wanted to make it where AC2s continuously are firing the delay between them would be controlled enough to make that possible, or make it where two AC2s could fire at a time it would allow that etc.

-Targeting preferences where you can control to give targeting priority to mechs over X tonnage or Y distance.

-Ballistic sighting where there were more reticles depending on the distance, so there was a reticle for 300m, 500m etc. to account for the round dropping.

-AMS control, so that you could chose for the system to only go for lets say the REALLY close missiles that are going after you, or for larger assault mechs working groups that pack two AMS systems where they could pull the range out and protect a group.

-ECCM, would be especially handy on scouts.

More weapons/revised weapons. There are NO three ton weapons I can think of, or four ton weapons. I think that for the various mechs of lighter weight that would come in handy. Machine guns are too weak, nearly to the point of them basically just being there for... austerity?

Quadropeds, like the tarantula. Maybe move slower but able to climb steeper grades perhaps?

Customized parts, like alternate cockpits, arms, legs, feet etc so that pilots can make their mechs their own. It would be cool too for example if you could change certain hard points from one type to another for an astronomical fee as well.

I'm sorry I just let my mind run a bit. The firing control/mech systems tailoring is an idea I got from military tech in real life, I just think that it would be really cool to add something like that into the game, I think that the more players are able to customize combined with more varied content will make this game more fun. The challenge of configuring the system for certain situations would also add a great deal of thinking to this already awesome thinking person's game.

To answer your points all I will say is that you should read up on the "Lore/history" and you will see why things are the way they are. They can still build Fussion Engines but they don't know how they work. They can still make ships jump through space but not a single person alive knows how it happens. After 300+ years of war anything that could have been sen as a military target has been leveled at least once which means that the people who used to know how all that stuff worked were also targets and are now pushing up poppies and daisies. The schools and Libraries were turned to ash and dust so much was rebuilt from memory by aging people who maybe died before the rebuild was complete. The only place in the IS that did not suffer from the centuries of war is Earth but Comstar isn't a nice organization to any non-terrans so they ain't sharing. Comstar also manipulates all the HPG messages being sent, errasing some, altering others, delaying many just to control the great houses to that they stay at war and don't become so powerful that they could ever challenge the power of Comstar. So as someone else who in the real world knows about tracking systems, targeting systems, surveilence systems, digital communication systems, Weapons of war and their means of deliverence I will restate the one most powerful key to victory. Knowledge is power, know your enemy, mitigate his strengths and exploit his weaknesses. Win the battle in your mind and you will win it on the field.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users