Forgot About K....

47 replies to this topic

#21 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostBumbleBee, on 12 October 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

The K2 is one of the best heavy's in the game. I do seem to get headshotted MUCH more often, but that aside, it is a versatile and pretty brutal mech when configured correctly

Which means using AC's instead of ER/PPC's as the main weapons as it supposed to be?

#22 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

AC20 mounting K2s can be surprisingly dangerous opponents.

#23 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

Catapults are my favorite mech, you know why? Its not because they're good. No, but because they're mediocre. Large CT, easy to hit but cute ears and big legs. Combined with high potential firepower and maneuverability (Bar K2), they provide, what I feel, a proper Mechwarrior experience.

Your mech has large flaws, work with it and your reward is great. Work against it, and your mech is {Scrap}.

#24 SURUBAMAN

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

There are very few circumstances in which a K2 will defeat a Jager with equally skilled pilots. The CT is softer and the cockpit is definitely easier to hit on Catapults. A single volley of a dual gauss with precision aiming will kill a cat.

But I don't even mind the cockpit thing. It's just that it weighs as much as a Jager and now that PPCs generate so much heat, AND the projectile velocity is so much lower than before, the Jager is clearly a superior chassis. The ballistic hardpoints on the K2 place them much lower than your hud, making a ridgeline sniping K2 a bad idea. I've seen so many builds that don't even use the arm hardpoints. I wish it would be within the realm of options to use hardpoints to mount extra armor plating. At least the PPC barrel could somewhat shield the canopy from a high side shot, but with it removed, there is no side shielding at all.

Once upon a time, my K2 was my favorite mech. But I regularly do more damage with my medium weight mechs.

Also, it seems a lot of you praise the K2, but do you actually own one?

#25 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostSURUBAMAN, on 12 October 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Also, it seems a lot of you praise the K2, but do you actually own one?

Yes. I'd been running it with 2 LLs, 2 AC5, 12 DHS, endo, ferro, stock engine, the rest armor since around December of last year to a couple months ago. A couple months back I pulled the engine, dropped in a 315 XL, and used the rest oft he open tonnage to drop in an AMS. My K2 is probably my best mech.

What boggles my mind is people saying the Jager is faster (it's not) or better armored (it isn't). The Jager has better hitboxes for when it comes to running a standard engine, and has the ballisitcs in a better place.

#26 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

What PGI has done to the catapults is just Criminal the K2 was a assault killer along with the C1-C4 but like all PGI'S great decisions it was NERFED TO HELLLL that is there logic. Instead they could have fixed the CT hitbox or added needed armor and balanced its weapons load. But no its the NERF BANN HAMMER FOR YOU!!!! and that's what's killing a lot of good mechs in this game=NERFING instead of fixing the true problems. Posted Image

#27 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

Having spent hundreds of drops in 'pults, 'phracts and Jagers...

I still take ALL my pults out individually more than I take any other chassis out combined.

Love them, they're under-appreciated and ignored, much to the OP4s regret.

#28 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

I see more K2s in matches than any other Catapult. However, to be honest, I sold mine once I mastered it because I was driving my Jags more often.

I think all the K2 needs to be reinvigorated is to move the ballistic hard points into the arms. That would be a game changer and may obsolete the Jags.

#29 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostNRP, on 13 October 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

I see more K2s in matches than any other Catapult. However, to be honest, I sold mine once I mastered it because I was driving my Jags more often.

I think all the K2 needs to be reinvigorated is to move the ballistic hard points into the arms. That would be a game changer and may obsolete the Jags.

I'd rather see the K2 get its second module slot back, and 1 more energy hardpoint per arm would help too (but we would have to give all the other Cat variants 2 more hardpoints as well to keep it fair).

#30 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

I've actually found that going back to a near stock config on my K2 has made for a very deadly build.

DHS, Endo, larger engine and ER over regular PPC. load it up with DHS and an extra ton of MG and AMS ammo...

It's probably the most effective "Out of the Box" mech there is.

#31 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

I love seeing ballistic-only K2 loadouts. I make use of jump jets and/or hills around them and pick em apart. Aww you can't fire up/down that much? So sad. :D Jagers are much more of a threat in that respect.

#32 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

View Posttopgun505, on 13 October 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

I love seeing ballistic-only K2 loadouts. I make use of jump jets and/or hills around them and pick em apart. Aww you can't fire up/down that much? So sad. :D Jagers are much more of a threat in that respect.

That's why I tell people to at least put a pair of mediums in the arms. Nothing worse than being in a position where you can't retaliate.

#33 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

A1 with x6 LRM-5's in chain fire muahahahahahaha i dub thee the kill stealer.

my 2nd ever owned mech was the K2 with dual gauss rifles that was over a year ago now bloody hell.

#34 New Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

View Poststjobe, on 12 October 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

Cats are still good, including the K2. That torso twist is sick, and something that still scares light pilots like me.

By 'sick' you mean exactly like the DDs and Ss?

View PostFupDup, on 13 October 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

I'd rather see the K2 get its second module slot back, and 1 more energy hardpoint per arm would help too (but we would have to give all the other Cat variants 2 more hardpoints as well to keep it fair).

You know what would also help. Not nerfing it.

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 13 October 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#35 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

Actually a K2 Cat ballistic build can be superior to the same build in a Jager. The Jager has paper-thin side torsos and more or less all ballistic builds with Cats or Jagers require the XL-engine. Focus on the side torso and the Jager is down within seconds. On the other hand, it is incredibly difficult to hit the Cats side torso.

Sure, you may core the Cat pretty easy but a skilled player will use his arms to protect the CT.

I suggest you try some rounds in a dual ac10, 4x ML build in a K2 Cat. That will probably change your mind.

#36 culverin

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 98 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:03 AM

PGI: "If everything gets nerfed, then it's all balanced!"

Posted Image

Edited by culverin, 14 October 2013 - 03:04 AM.

#37 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:14 AM

View PostKAT Ayanami, on 12 October 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

So you base your answer in having only 2 mechs???

Since one is the K2, I would thing that is good enough to give him the right to chime in. :ph34r: I only have 4 Mechs BTW. :D

#38 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostJoey Tankblaster, on 14 October 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

Actually a K2 Cat ballistic build can be superior to the same build in a Jager. The Jager has paper-thin side torsos and more or less all ballistic builds with Cats or Jagers require the XL-engine. Focus on the side torso and the Jager is down within seconds. On the other hand, it is incredibly difficult to hit the Cats side torso.

Sure, you may core the Cat pretty easy but a skilled player will use his arms to protect the CT.

I suggest you try some rounds in a dual ac10, 4x ML build in a K2 Cat. That will probably change your mind.

Only if facing a bad pilot. Part of piloting is using terrain.

I love my K2, but the Jager has 2 distinct advantages that far outweigh the side torso.
1) High Mounted Ballistics. If you ridge hump properly they scarcely can hit your ST.
2) Ballistics in the arms. If you attack a Catapult from a high or low approach angle, the K2 can only use whatever is it´s arms to hit you. If you mount serious ballistics, that would mean medium lasers. The Jager by contrast can easily and accurately hit you with it´s ballistics no matter your approach.

A smart Jager pilot doesn't rush to the front line, but comes in the second wave, playing support for the Assaults, and takes his time to survey the terrain and enemy deployment. And I go then make it a point to hunt BoomCats and such, as they ARE a legit danger to my Assaults. But their CT squishiness is a much bigger issue against good opposition, especially as most BoomCats and Gauss-a-Pults are too slow to disengage.

Only time I have lost to a boomcat in my Jagers have been when I was already cored, or the Cat set up a nice ambush.

#39 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 12 October 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

I get headshotted much more in my Catapult than in all my other mechs together. But it works in the other way, too. It's totally easy to snipe the head that you're not really aiming for.

That was fixed a month or so ago, they shrunk the head hitbox. I haven't been headshot in ages.

BTW, I will concede the The Jager does ballistics better, but I will not concede that the Cataphract does. Cataphract is a knuckle-dragger. It can carry more ballistics, but the harpoints are so low to the ground, any small hill in front of you might as well be a wall LOL. I do like my Ilya (and still use it fairly frequently), but it can be frustrating to shoot over even small terrain.

The Jager with the high mounted ballistics has no such issue.

Honestly, what I like about the K2 is the mech itself. Could it use 2 more energy harpoints...yea. Could it use arm mounted ballistics...sure (come on, I smell a Hero Cat possibility there :ph34r: ). Still, that I like about the Catapult K2 is less tangible. It is cool looking, quick, with GREAT torso twist range, and 2 A/C10s and 4MLasers aren't nothing to laugh at in a 80kph mech.

It still puts down great damage and looks cool doing it. That is good enough for me.

#40 olpOmat3000

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

If you asked me a month ago, I'd supported the notion that the K2 is a weak mech.
But then I found my loadout...

Good 'ole X-Wing (2x AC10, 4x Med Lsr) is one option, another is mine:
Dual ER Large Lasers in the arms for hill hugging (and hi/lo arc firing), dual UAC5 in the torso for hammering - bring it to 80kp/h and forget about fancy stuff like AMS, just load ammo.

The cool thing about it: both weapons have effective ranges of roughly 600 meters. look for flat fields with a corner to hide behind and you will win every fire fight even before it really started for your enemy. :D
You got a too big CT? Who cares? Enemy is taking too many UAC rounds to aim or is out of range. :ph34r:

The Point is: find a good loadout and most mechs will perform good...
...and stop blaming PGI for everything.

Olp

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users