ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 14 October 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

That was fixed a month or so ago, they shrunk the head hitbox. I haven't been headshot in ages.

BTW, I will concede the The Jager does ballistics better, but I will not concede that the Cataphract does. Cataphract is a knuckle-dragger. It can carry more ballistics, but the harpoints are so low to the ground, any small hill in front of you might as well be a wall LOL. I do like my Ilya (and still use it fairly frequently), but it can be frustrating to shoot over even small terrain.

The Jager with the high mounted ballistics has no such issue.

Honestly, what I like about the K2 is the mech itself. Could it use 2 more energy harpoints...yea. Could it use arm mounted ballistics...sure (come on, I smell a Hero Cat possibility there ;) ). Still, that I like about the Catapult K2 is less tangible. It is cool looking, quick, with GREAT torso twist range, and 2 A/C10s and 4MLasers aren't nothing to laugh at in a 80kph mech.

It still puts down great damage and looks cool doing it. That is good enough for me.

Catapract is a better ballistic brawler. The Catapult and Jagermech are both generally superior at range, with their high mount energy (K2) or ballistic (Jager). Makes sense, since both are designed as support mechs, whereas the Cataphract was frankensteined to do a bit of everything, but most of all, drag knuckles and scrap up close. (Both due to the Capellan war doctrine of the time, military reality, and TBH, the lackluster quality of the average non Warrior House Cappie mech jock of the era)

But in knuckle dragger range, the only thing the Phract doesn´t do is dual ac20.

#42 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 October 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Only if facing a bad pilot. Part of piloting is using terrain.

I love my K2, but the Jager has 2 distinct advantages that far outweigh the side torso.
1) High Mounted Ballistics. If you ridge hump properly they scarcely can hit your ST.
2) Ballistics in the arms. If you attack a Catapult from a high or low approach angle, the K2 can only use whatever is it´s arms to hit you. If you mount serious ballistics, that would mean medium lasers. The Jager by contrast can easily and accurately hit you with it´s ballistics no matter your approach.

A smart Jager pilot doesn't rush to the front line, but comes in the second wave, playing support for the Assaults, and takes his time to survey the terrain and enemy deployment. And I go then make it a point to hunt BoomCats and such, as they ARE a legit danger to my Assaults. But their CT squishiness is a much bigger issue against good opposition, especially as most BoomCats and Gauss-a-Pults are too slow to disengage.

Only time I have lost to a boomcat in my Jagers have been when I was already cored, or the Cat set up a nice ambush.

I disagree on point #1. Ridgeline sniping does not make you invisible nor invincible. You will sure get hit in your arms, side or center torso. A good Cat-K2 pilot will not miss a partly hidden Jager.
#2 is a weak argument too as you say piloting a mech is using terrain. I wouldn't go in such a situation where my Cat cannot use its ballistics. #3 Being in the second line and not being targeted and shot is THE favourable situation in all mechs ;-)

The weakest flank of the Jager is its side torso. Before the ghost heat patch Jagers on the field would have very likely loaded dual Ac20. The only way to take these guys out quickly was the side torso and thus most pilots are somehow trained to target them by reflex.

Where I see the Jager as a better platform for ballistics is its flexibility. You can load lots of stuff in it: triple ac2, quadruple ac2, Dual ac10, dual gauss etc. Thats why its very comfortable. Additionally all Jager chassis are more or less viable whereas the Cat offers 3x missile support variants (2 of them suck) and just one ballistic/energy platform.

Edited by Joey Tankblaster, 15 October 2013 - 12:54 AM.

#43 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostMadCat02, on 12 October 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

tell that to awesome

The Mrs. Cicada would also like to have a word with the OP (no arm mounted weapons on the interresting chassies and classified as a medium while it is actually just an oversized Light without Jumpjets)

EDIT:

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 October 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

Since one is the K2, I would thing that is good enough to give him the right to chime in. :ph34r: I only have 4 Mechs BTW. ;)

Ahh, I envy you... no searching for ages where the damn Engine or Seismic module is installed (Ive given up looking for cockpit items as I can never seem to find which mechs they are currently on)

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 15 October 2013 - 01:01 AM.

#44 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

Is it the worst mech in the game ... currently ... yes, because the only good thing it has is torso turn.

#45 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

View PostSURUBAMAN, on 12 October 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

With the PPC heat penalty, the huge CT hit box, that max of two module slots, and the availability of the similarly priced Jagers, does anyone notice that the K2 is the most nerf'd mech in the game? A few months back, I used to be scared of going toe to toe with a K2. Not only does it have one of the sickest appearances of any mech, it used to have so much punch! These days, though, I wish I hadn't spent my cbills and time upgrading Catapults. It feels like my K2 is the least competent mech of all. It doesn't matter what loadout- lazer boat, AC2s, dual LB10X... PPCs (forget about it!). The mech runs hot and has paper armor. It only has one thing going for it compared to other mechs: the torso twist. Am I the only one that feels this way? I used to love my cats.

Most nerfed mech in the game? Buddy, the HBK-4P and AWS-8Q want a word with you.

#46 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:09 AM

View Postclownwarlord, on 15 October 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

Is it the worst mech in the game ... currently ... yes, because the only good thing it has is torso turn.

:ph34r:

Also, I see by your sig that you have embraced the power of bacon, unfortunately, House Marik cornered that market LONG ago, and is widely known to have superior bacon.
House Steiner get's their bacon from the Clans...Vat grown... Ewwwww.
Don't worry, while we currently only serve the greater FWLM territory, we will soon be expanding into Steiner space.

#47 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:44 AM

Worst? I don't know about that. Too many people use it for the worst mech in the game. Now the Awesome...that might be worse :ph34r:

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostJoey Tankblaster, on 15 October 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

I disagree on point #1. Ridgeline sniping does not make you invisible nor invincible. You will sure get hit in your arms, side or center torso. A good Cat-K2 pilot will not miss a partly hidden Jager.
#2 is a weak argument too as you say piloting a mech is using terrain. I wouldn't go in such a situation where my Cat cannot use its ballistics. #3 Being in the second line and not being targeted and shot is THE favourable situation in all mechs ;-)

The weakest flank of the Jager is its side torso. Before the ghost heat patch Jagers on the field would have very likely loaded dual Ac20. The only way to take these guys out quickly was the side torso and thus most pilots are somehow trained to target them by reflex.

Where I see the Jager as a better platform for ballistics is its flexibility. You can load lots of stuff in it: triple ac2, quadruple ac2, Dual ac10, dual gauss etc. Thats why its very comfortable. Additionally all Jager chassis are more or less viable whereas the Cat offers 3x missile support variants (2 of them suck) and just one ballistic/energy platform.

never said you would not get hit. It reduces the Side torso profile, and thus, eliminates most of the ¨ST Death¨concern. THAT is the weakness of the Jager, that 90% run XL, and that XL is particularly vulnerable due to the large armpit leaving it's ST exposed. Ridge humping allows you to cover that, and with minimal twist now can usually absorb most shots into the arms.

Lolz.

Every Awesome, half the Cicadas, 2 Commandos, and the Dragon would like to have a word with you. K2 can cream any and all the above with a decent pilot.

View PostRoadbeer, on 15 October 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

:ph34r:

Don't worry, while we currently only serve the greater FWLM territory, we will soon be expanding into Steiner space.

Looking forward to it. We´re kicking Moldy Pigeons outta the Commonwealth right now, no reason not to add Pink DoDo Birds to the extinction list.

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users