Need Some Advice

102 replies to this topic

#61 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostFlagrant, on 14 October 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

If you got MC i suggest buying the Victor Dragonslayer. RIght arm has 2 ballistic slots. Get a pair of AC5 and advanced zoom module. Jumpjets to get to prime location and put ER PPC on other slots if you want.

Or get a Blackjack 1. Pair of ballistics and the rest in medium lasers etc. Advanced zoom of course. Jump jets included.

I wish I had MC. I am disabled and currently, my only income are donations on my live stream. But I think I am good on Mechs for awhile as StarGeezer donated enough earlier for me to get the Overloard Phoenix package. So come tomorrow, I will have 12 more Mechs to play around with. Lol. My only thing I want now are the camo colors that I want.

#62 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'm just looking forward to making things go BOOM with my Thunderbolt. I'm old and easily amused. LOL :P

Those should keep ya busy for a while, Dizzy. :P

#63 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Time to make your own mechs, Dizzy!

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

New mission: Make one Locust
Make one Shadow Hawk
One Thunderbolt
and finally one Battlemaster! Go!

#64 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostStarGeezer, on 14 October 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

I'm just looking forward to making things go BOOM with my Thunderbolt. I'm old and easily amused. LOL :D

Lol agreed. I am easily amused myself sometimes. And yes they will keep me busy for awhile. :P

View PostKoniving, on 14 October 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Make one Shadow Hawk
One Thunderbolt

Oh come on! I'm still new to this. Lol.

Edited by Dizzy Strife, 14 October 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#65 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

I like the Dragonslayer because you can put 2 ballistics and an ER PPC on right side of mech for peekaboo shooting. Group them together but also have a separate button just for the AC5s. When you're close to overheating just shoot the AC5s. It is devastating.

#66 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Ah, ze corner-shot. Strangely in MWO I don't do a lot of the pop-and-squat that I love in other games like Gears of War and Mass Effect. (...Chainsaw. MWO. Chainsaw. MWO. Chainsaw. MWO....) So that wouldn't be of much value to me. Though I could see twin flamers and twin MGs right side, pulse laser left side, Streaks left side...

Yeah! Here we go! The Dragon Troller!

Speaking of trolls.. Recorded before armlock, before the heat/night vision changes, before MGs did more than 0.4 damage per second (0.04 damage per bullet). When flamers were all but absolutely useless. When SRMs secretly did around 17 or so damage per missile, but no one knew and it was only against small targets where splash had a greater effect. Also back when my mic sucked. :P
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 14 October 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#67 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostStarGeezer, on 14 October 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

I'm just looking forward to making things go BOOM with my Thunderbolt. I'm old and easily amused. LOL :P

Oh don't think you're exempt from making builds either!
Speaking of which, heading out for the night.

Edited by Koniving, 14 October 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#68 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Hmmm...for some reason, Smurfy's won't let me mod a build using Chrome. Might have to flush the cache.

EDIT: Okay, flushing the cache did indeed work. Here goes a quick-n-dirty Thunderbolt build:

Thunderbolt "Rock 'n Roll"

Not a high damage build at all, but the AC2's and LRM5's should shake the bejeebers out of folks and keep their heads down. Just for yucks, I tossed a flamer into the side torso, just to mess with those damn Spiders (and presumably, Locusts) that want to mess with me. Had even entertained the idea of putting that on the arm, and still might. Not really a "serious" build, but it looks like it could be fun. :P

Edited by StarGeezer, 14 October 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#69 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 12 October 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Ok guys. I am new here. Well technically new. I made a couple posts way back in beta about advice on whether or not my computer would run this game or something like that. I have a new computer that I know can run it now, so I am finally going to play.

Here is what I need advice on. I want to be a sniper. While I am not the best shot in video games, I think I have a better chance of doing somewhat ok at range, than if I was in close. I'm just not good at CQB really. I am older and I am disabled because of nerve damage in my shoulder, arms and hands. So making split second maneuvers or whatever you want to call it in a CQB situation doesn't usually go too well for me in other games. All in all, it just seems like a better idea for me to stay at range and pick enemies off from a distance.

So I am looking for advice on a good starter mech and sniper load out. Also if anyone has a good key setup for a razer nostromo that I could look at, that would be great also.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give me. I am looking forward to getting into a mech and blowing s*** up. I have always loved mech games including the older Mechwarrior games I played when I was a lot younger. Lol.

P.S. I did do some searching before making this post, and the only things I could find were from months ago, so I want something more up to date as I know things change in games like these, balancing and what not.

Currently due to the broken hit boxes (thanks PGI) I would suggest a spider with ECM and a ERPPC. Use this to find some place out of the way to take some sniper shots at enemy mechs with the ERPPC. By doing this you can practice per say sniping (also there are some modules you can use as well ... Advance Sensor Range and Enhanced Zoom will help).

If you get rushed by enemy mechs run away in a zig zag formation and with the hit box lag issue which PGI still refuses to fix you can just be like god mode at top speed and still do damage to enemy by shooting back.

Good luck and hope this helps.

(ps be preped for fast moving items on your screen ... may cause health issues)

#70 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

View Postclownwarlord, on 14 October 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Currently due to the broken hit boxes (thanks PGI) I would suggest a spider with ECM and a ERPPC. Use this to find some place out of the way to take some sniper shots at enemy mechs with the ERPPC. By doing this you can practice per say sniping (also there are some modules you can use as well ... Advance Sensor Range and Enhanced Zoom will help).

If you get rushed by enemy mechs run away in a zig zag formation and with the hit box lag issue which PGI still refuses to fix you can just be like god mode at top speed and still do damage to enemy by shooting back.

Good luck and hope this helps.

(ps be preped for fast moving items on your screen ... may cause health issues)

That kind of sounds like fun. Maybe I will try something like that in my Locust when I get it tomorrow. I actually started off with a Stalker with some LRM's and ML's. It's been doing pretty decent for me.

Edit: Unless I am doing something wrong, chances are I am, I don't think I can do that with a Locust looking on Smurfy's. Who knows, I am so tired right now, I am probably doing something wrong. LOL. Plus I am new and don't fully understand how to use Smurfy's yet. Lol

Edited by Dizzy Strife, 14 October 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#71 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Can i suggest you spend your MC on mechbays?

I'd think save up using the trial mechs to buy either a cataphract 3d or a highlander 733c..

These are the builds I'd play:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6d3b8fccca30f02

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...48fab41198a44fc

#72 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 14 October 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

Can i suggest you spend your MC on mechbays?

I'd think save up using the trial mechs to buy either a cataphract 3d or a highlander 733c..

These are the builds I'd play:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6d3b8fccca30f02

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...48fab41198a44fc

I actually went with a Stalker with 4 LRM's and 6 ML. It's been doing pretty good for me. As far as saving MC's, I don't have any. I don't have any money, I only had enough to get the 1250 package. But instead, I got a very generous donation on my live stream from StarGeezer and was able to but the Overlord Phoenix Mech package. So as soon as they release, I will have 12 new Mechs to play with on top of my Stalker. I'm not at all worried about Mech bays, I still have 3 free, and I don't see myself buying any more Mechs for quite some time. What I do want, are camo colors, but I won't be buying any of those until I either get more donations for MWO, or I get my income, which ever comes first. Thanks for the advice though. :P

#73 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 14 October 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

I actually went with a Stalker with 4 LRM's and 6 ML. It's been doing pretty good for me. As far as saving MC's, I don't have any. I don't have any money, I only had enough to get the 1250 package. But instead, I got a very generous donation on my live stream from StarGeezer and was able to but the Overlord Phoenix Mech package. So as soon as they release, I will have 12 new Mechs to play with on top of my Stalker. I'm not at all worried about Mech bays, I still have 3 free, and I don't see myself buying any more Mechs for quite some time. What I do want, are camo colors, but I won't be buying any of those until I either get more donations for MWO, or I get my income, which ever comes first. Thanks for the advice though. :P

OH dude, grats! We'll have some fun leveling those mechs... :P

#74 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 14 October 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

OH dude, grats! We'll have some fun leveling those mechs... :P

Yes it will be a lot of fun. Time for me to head to bed though. I've been up long enough and I want to be well rested for a day of playing with my new toys. :P

#75 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:06 AM

Before you do something you might regret: Don't sell weapons,modules and engines, esp XL.
Good sizes to have:
XL 280 for heavily armed Jenner/295 for Raven
XL 300 - Jenner
XL 330
XL 350
XL 360
Note the last 2 come in handy on Quickdraws and Dragons and Orions, esp. Many swear by the rule of buying engines on a rating divisible by 15 only. (Because of the heat sink slots in the engine)

#76 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:43 AM

View PostHammerhai, on 15 October 2013 - 05:06 AM, said:

Before you do something you might regret: Don't sell weapons,modules and engines, esp XL.
Good sizes to have:
XL 280 for heavily armed Jenner/295 for Raven
XL 300 - Jenner
XL 330
XL 350
XL 360
Note the last 2 come in handy on Quickdraws and Dragons and Orions, esp. Many swear by the rule of buying engines on a rating divisible by 15 only. (Because of the heat sink slots in the engine)

Oh don't worry, I don't sell anything. Lol. If you could see my banks in other games, you would never worry about this. Haha. I'm pretty much a packrat when it comes to spare parts or armor or whatever it may be depending on the game being played. Unless it is something that I know I will NEVER use, it usually sticks around. Hell I have things in my bank from Vanilla World of Warcraft still. LOL.

#77 Dizzy Strife

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostKoniving, on 14 October 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Make one Shadow Hawk
One Thunderbolt

Ok, well I am sure these are horrible, but here we go. I will add each one as I get it done.

Locust
Shadow Hawk

Edit: Got the link working.
Further Edits: Adding more links

Edited by Dizzy Strife, 15 October 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#78 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Mkay. Just got up. First one you had almost a full ton left over. But dont' get in a hurry to throw on the fancy armor. In fluff, ferro's really a downgrade since it consumes space, and every bit of armor you take off to get even more weight available is worth less than it would be without it. Also I'd be paranoid going that slow.

Locust. I should note that MG ammo lasts almost forever. Even I won't live long enough in a locust to burn through an entire ton of ammo.

But if you wanted something where you can take your time to aim...
(Turns out the weight changes to engines isn't showing in Smurfy, don't know if we'll see it at the same time as Locust's launch).
Sniper Locust Features 100% front armor. Stay FAR from the field. One of the longest range weapons in the game, barely drops damage at the extreme distances, too! Limited ammo. Sorry but unless they drop the weight of the 150 to 170 engines, it's all you can manage. Ferro isn't worth throwing on there.

On the second one you forgot your armor. Trading all but 3 tons of SRM ammo should do you good. Truth be told I'd trade all but 2, and carry 3 tons of AC/5 ammo since you have twin AC/5s. You'll use that more often.

This might be something I try for the Shadowhawk myself. If you're wondering the external DHS on the side torso is to protect the ammo by soaking the damage. The larger an object is in terms of slots, the more likely it will soak up damage.

This is one I'll consider for support. Support Shadowhawk Though a more serious build might be this Rear Line Heavy Support Shadowhawk.

I should note the first two shadowhawk rigs I forgot to change the armor configurations, but in general more front than rear.

It's 11:11. Patch begins at 1 Eastern Standard Time.

#79 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

View PostDizzy Strife, on 15 October 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

Ok, well I am sure these are horrible, but here we go. I will add each one as I get it done.

Locust
Shadow Hawk

Edit: Got the link working.
Further Edits: Adding more links

Locust looks like a nice build in principle...the machine guns will be good for coming in after enemies have had their armor peeled off so you can get some internal crits. Speed might be an issue, but once you get some you can put an XL in it. Ditch the AMS (you didn't have any ammo for it anyway), take out some of the heat sinks (the MG's don't generate a ton of heat), and stick with Standard Armor instead of Ferro (unless it's FF by default, haven't checked the Phoenix specs yet.) You also had no head armor, which could be a problem...even splash damage could ruin your day if you got hit. Here's my take on the build.

Your SH has no armor. Hehehe! Let's see what we can do with it... The streaks will help for "in your face" encounters, while the AC5 gives you some reach-out-and-touch-someone. Not real punchy from a DPS standpoint, but should be decent in a scrap.

#80 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

ZOMG, those legs are shaven! O_O!

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users