Time To Choose A Faction, But Which One?

96 replies to this topic

#81 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:24 AM

Do we need to select our medallions now...?

I was planning to wait until that (glorious, long-awaited, possibly mythical, but hope lives on) day when PGI actually explains in detail how Clan Warfare and associated loyalty points etc will work.

That way, I might understand the implications of the choices being put before me.

#82 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:30 AM

View PostPraehotec8, on 17 October 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Worry not freebirth, the children of Kerensky return, and we will save Terra from the petty tyrants of the inner sphere.

"Children of Kerensky"? Is that, like, some new Periphery cult or something? :)
Also, since when is being born free an insult (as the context of your use of the (rather peculiar) term "freebirth" seems to indicate that it is such)!? <_<

Edited by Strum Wealh, 18 October 2013 - 04:32 AM.

#83 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostAppogee, on 18 October 2013 - 04:24 AM, said:

Do we need to select our medallions now...?
I was planning to wait until that (glorious, long-awaited, possibly mythical, but hope lives on) day when PGI actually explains in detail how Clan Warfare and associated loyalty points etc will work.
I don't think the medallions have an expiry date, as no such thing has been announced. That being said, there is always the possibility that, for whatever reason, the page might disappear some day, or be somehow broken, so unless you have a good reason to do so, why wait?

We already have a fairly good expectation on what Loyalty Points can do (purchase rank increase, transfers into more prestigious regiments, decals, etc), and even if some things may still change, it is very unlikely that the basic concept would be affected, given how these icons are obviously meant to affect your standing with the faction they represent.

In short, I think it depends on what exactly you expect from Community Warfare. Do you have a favourite faction and don't see yourself fighting for someone else? If so, why not pick up all medallions, just to save yourself the time and hassle of slotting and re-slotting a single one between multiple cockpits?
On the other hand, if you prefer staying independent, or are perhaps gunning for membership in Wolf's Dragoons, then it is probably prudent to pick up medallions from as many different factions as possible. Ironically, here you should choose those of the factions you like the least, because the Loyalty Bonus means you will have to spend less time fighting for them to get to a certain score.

If you were truly referring to Clan Warfare, though, and this wasn't just a typo, then the medallions likely don't affect it at all, since the current selection doesn't include the Clans, and it is almost certain that it will not change. I would expect a new set of Clan Loyalty Medallions to be offered together with a pack of Clan 'Mechs similar to the Phoenix package, though, at some point in the far future.

View PostStrum Wealh, on 18 October 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

Also... is your name phonetically "kee-yon" (like the character from Haruhi) or "kee-yoh-nay" (like the character from Tenchi Muyo)? :P
The latter! Actually, you caught me, for that character's name really was the inspiration - many years ago, for a game of the old MechWarrior RPG. Although back then our unit was dirty mercenaries, and instead of fighting to clear her family's name, the character went into exile, which is how she ended up with the others. For MWO, I pretty much hit the reset button, this time having her walk a different path. :)

The family name, on the other hand, is a reference to an IJN cruiser, which in turn references an old feudal domain. I took a page of Hideaki Anno's tendency to name characters after warships, found that "Akashi" goes well with the given name, and has a cool background in regards to feudal Japan.

Names are probably something I spend way too much thinking on. I can literally sit weeks, pondering, until I finally find one I am satisfied with. :D

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 18 October 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#84 Evilbunny

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 49 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostLord Ikka, on 17 October 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

Sane people who like stable government.

I was refering to the Only Katrina Steiner, not her grand-child Katherine. Katrina Steiner was a beloved Archon who tried to broker peice throught the Inner Sphere in the 3020's.

I'm a fan of the Succession Wars era of the Game.

#85 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

Fair enough.

#86 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostBrokenDog, on 17 October 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

Marchant Consardine look what you've started! Do you fell guilty or are you now sitting there giggling? Mmmm!!!! Steiner!! 'nuff said! :)

Not at all, I like giggling. Even more so now that my OP question is moot since I can postpone choosing the medallions untill I can see how they implement loyalty rewards :P

#87 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

The medallions only affect the speed at which one earns favor in a faction. Frankly I am more concerned about how faction relations effect changing factions and the point loss related to doing so. I want to get to Wolf's Dragoons with maximum efficiency... which means I'll probably end up buying the two medallions I am missing and complete the set. I still wish St Ives and some of the major periphery states were available factions.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 18 October 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#88 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

Can you even buy missing Medallions? Note that, in Cockpit Customization, the Loyalty Medallions are called "[...] Bronze". The "[...] Medallion" are a different decoration, not affiliated with the Phoenix Package, and available for well over a year by now.

Anyways, if you want to go to Wolve's Dragoons, ironically the best thing to do would probably be to pick the medallions from the factions you like the least, so you have to spend less time with them until you get to max rank.

#89 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 18 October 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Can you even buy missing Medallions? Note that, in Cockpit Customization, the Loyalty Medallions are called "[...] Bronze". The "[...] Medallion" are a different decoration, not affiliated with the Phoenix Package, and available for well over a year by now.

Anyways, if you want to go to Wolve's Dragoons, ironically the best thing to do would probably be to pick the medallions from the factions you like the least, so you have to spend less time with them until you get to max rank.

Ah then never mind then on the buying thing. My brain has been on the fritz today. As for the second point you bring up, unfortunately I did not think of that until after I picked them... then mentally kicked myself. Still it should mean earlier access to faction perks with loyalty point thresholds.

I would not be surprised if PGI comes out with something similar to the medallions for MC. So it might still be possible.

#90 stinkypuppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 153 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the great plains of canada

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

i will give you a quick answer. just read up on the different houses. pick the ones you want, done. don't worry if you pick one and end up not liking that faction because its only a 2.5% loyalty boost where as the phoenix mechs gives you a 10% boost. personally i picked Steiner (because that's my current) Davion (second favorite) Kurita (MAULER!!!) Liao (is that not the most badass logo ever? well except for the mighty fist) of course when clans are officially introduced i will just instantly swap to smoke jaguar. might spend some time with ghost bear though, as long as they give me a Kodiak :)

#91 xXVashtheStampede

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Well FRR it is then! Until i can join a clan!

Edited by xXVashtheStampede, 19 March 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#92 Wild Hamster

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:00 AM

Never wanted to follow any other house but Steiner ever since I saw the 90s' Battletech cartoon (my first taste of BT)

Reason: Badass Adam Steiner is Badass

#93 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:17 AM

View PostWild Hamster, on 25 March 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

Never wanted to follow any other house but Steiner ever since I saw the 90s' Battletech cartoon (my first taste of BT)

Information is ammunition :D

#94 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

View PostWild Hamster, on 25 March 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

Then there was the time in Patriots and Tyrants that he nearly killed Victor Steiner-Davion. What's not to love?

#95 Cinderella Man

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

I tried to find out how to choose faction... so can someone tell me how to do it? I don't know how... :/

#96 Cinderella Man

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

ok nvm I got this xD

#97 0phialacria

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 60 posts
  • LocationQuietly stealing your heart

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Clan Nova Cat.

We have EU players, East-west coast players. We operate on an East coast timeline, which is nice for the west coasters as it means our saturday meetings take place at 4PM pacific.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users