Project Pheonix Mechs Do Not Get "unique Geometry".

38 replies to this topic

#1 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Alright, just thought I would finally complain about this since I've been holding my tongue through the entire Project Phoenix promotion period.

Is anyone else p**** off that the Project Phoenix Mechs are advertised as having "an exclusive exterior featuring unique geometry" (not exact wording :/) only to see the art as having a pretty paintjob...AND RAILS? Rails do NOT count as "unique geometry". Rails do NOT make a Mech look like a cool prototype. Rails just make the Mech look weird.

Well Ive been holding my tongue this entire time because (up until recently) I was getting worked up over artwork. Since when has the artwork been exactly like the in-game version? Ok, whatever, I'm sure the rails were just added as placeholders...
Posted Image
Really?

I was hoping for Bulkier-looking geometry and little ports for easy-hookup test equipment to be attached to. I was hoping for different leg variation on some of the Mechs, and maybe even slightly different cockpit designs just for the heck of it.
But instead, we just get rails and a Robotech paintjob (BECAUSE HAHAHA WE HAVE THE RIGHTS NOW, MACROSS!).

Is anyone else at least a little angry about this? Does anyone else feel a little ripped off, expecting the "Unique Geometry" advertisement to be something neat? Kinda like how the Founders Mechs have subtle differences in exterior (Atlas missing an eye, Catapult having a nose, etc)?
Because I was. I was hoping to see some imagination on PGI's part, since they were obviously going to be bathing in money for a while, as a result of this promotion. But no. We get rails...

Edited by Pezzer, 12 October 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#2 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

Pretty sure they didn't get the rights.

And meh. I've become numb to that sort of thing a while back.

#3 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostPezzer, on 12 October 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Is anyone else at least a little angry about this?

Nope.

#4 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostSephlock, on 12 October 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Pretty sure they didn't get the rights.

And meh. I've become numb to that sort of thing a while back.

Heh heh, Patrick Stewart.

Tea, Earl Grey, hot.

And im sorry that 80% of the player base has given up and laid down for PGI's BS. No offense to PGI, seeing as how they've made a lot of positive changes.

I'm just POed that they couldn't have done more is all. Sorry that you simply don't care, but I do, since I expected more from a successful video game that I just spent a LOT of money on, all at once, for a sizable amount of in-game content.

Edited by Pezzer, 12 October 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#5 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Meh. The "unique" geometry wasn't a selling point for my purchase- the c-bill/LP bonus and getting all the Mechs for a decent price was.

#6 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

its not the 15th yet, and we really don't know what to expect, other than the leaked screen shots that appeared(which was really kewl of PGI to leak them). guess will find out for sure on patch day what's in our box of candies! peace out

#7 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

View PostLord Ikka, on 12 October 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Meh. The "unique" geometry wasn't a selling point for my purchase- the c-bill/LP bonus and getting all the Mechs for a decent price was.

Pretty much this. Plus, it's a game - I have more important things to do.

#8 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostLord Ikka, on 12 October 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

This ^

I'm sure there weren't many people who were clamoring for the "unique geometry". I'm pretty sure most of the posts I read were just excited for being able to get first crack at these reseen.

#9 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

A unique cockpit would have been really cool. But whatever...doesn't bother me at all.

#10 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

Is anyone else p**** off that the Project Phoenix Mechs are advertised as having "an exclusive exterior featuring unique geometry" (not exact wording :/) only to see the art as having a pretty paintjob...AND RAILS? Rails do NOT count as "unique geometry". Rails do NOT make a Mech look like a cool prototype. Rails just make the Mech look weird.

Technically speaking rails count as "Limited Edition Geometry" (exact wording) in that it required geometry to make the parts (even the rails) and is limited to the Phoenix purchase.

So yes, clearly they do count.

Whether that makes the mech look better or worse of course is a different thing altogether.

Is anyone else at least a little angry about this? Does anyone else feel a little ripped off, expecting the "Unique Geometry" advertisement to be something neat? Kinda like how the Founders Mechs have subtle differences in exterior (Atlas missing an eye, Catapult having a nose, etc)?

Thunderbolt and Battlemaster have some non-subtle shoulder add-ons it seems. The Griffin gets extra shoulder shielding and the Wolverine actually has the Blockhead's ammo magazine referenced in the TRO art on it's arm. Yeah two mechs get rails but that's how I felt about the Jenner/Hunchback.

So angry? No, not really. The deal includes bonuses, decorations, premium time (if you bought high enough), colors, a pattern, and decent-ish mech bundle pricing. I agree I would like to have seen a bit more flair to the Locust and Shadowhawk, but not really angry about it. They're just bonus carrying versions of mechs people can buy anyway.

#11 Tarzilman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationRim Territories

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

Man, look closer at the concept arts and then wait for release of all the mechs to have a comparison. There are NOT only rails.

#12 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

Can has Recon?

#13 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostSephlock, on 12 October 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Can has Recon?

They made that available to everyone years ago, because Bungie is awesome.

And in response to Kayudo, yeah that's true, the rails do TECHNICALLY count, but ofc that's not what I meant. Just seems like a jip to be all "EXCLUSIVE LOOKZ ON MECK!" and have it be something that I don't even want on the thing. And sure the Battlemaster/Thunderbolt do have different shoulders, but it hurts one of the Mechs and helps the other one in battle. My first thought when I saw the Thunderbolt's "unique shoulders" I thought, "Wow that makes them easier to hit from the front. That's kinda lame, but oh well."

Idk, I can't complain too much because it IS a good deal, but the advertising reminds me of the kinds of ads they run for cheap toys. IT TALKS! But only has 3 different sayings. IT RESPONDS TO YOU! When you press buttons on certain parts of it. Etc.

I just felt like it was an underhanded market ploy, and that's what made me so mad when I saw the screens. Really, you couldn't make the armor more prototype-ey and unfinished-looking? You couldn't give them different arms, or missing fingers, or slightly more pronounced weapon pods?
And once again, they added these small things to the Founders but in an obvious way, if that makes any sense. Looking at the Founder's Atlas, you know right away it's a founder, regardless of the paintjob. Because the face is different. You know the Jenner is different because of the armor plating (that is what's different about it, right?), and the Catapult because of the "nose". But with the Phoenix Mechs I could almost miss it, because the rails are SO thin. They stairstep on the screenshots they are so thin.

P.S. Real quick, I'm not saying I'm right here. I'm just arguing that PGI could have done something differently with the prototype Phoenix Mechs. I'm arguing that point, not against the entire package itself.

Edited by Pezzer, 12 October 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#14 Detrimus

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

I agree with the OP, but I'm also annoyed that they don't have any of the decals and the colors are quite a bit different from the concept art. Basically they aren't nearly as cool-looking.

#15 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

im missing the cool decals from the mech and the name and so on.
The paintjob missing a lot of detail.

Edited by Flying Judgement, 12 October 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#16 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

How do you know the only difference is rails when they haven't released images of the non-unique variants yet?

#17 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

I don't even care about the rails, I just wanted the Shadowhawk to be the size of a medium mech.

#18 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostPezzer, on 12 October 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

And in response to Karyudo, yeah that's true, the rails do TECHNICALLY count, but ofc that's not what I meant.

And as we know "technically" is the best kind of correct. I agree it could be more but like I said, between the Founder Hunchback and the Jenner I couldn't spot the difference. I'd have to have them next to each other to figure it out. The Atlas on the other hand stands out and the Catapult's silhouette is pretty different with a pointy nose, which is actually one reason I picked it . So while the Hawk and Locust just have roll cages on them I don't have to look very much to see their different from the non-PP versions.

True they could have done more to make them look prototypy but I don't remember them advertising that for some reason. The Locust 1V and Shadowhawk 2H weren't prototypes, I know that much. They were just the common variants of the mechs around 3025 (and thus in the 3rd ed box set). Oddly enough Project Phoenix in relation to these mechs referred to completely different variants anyway...

But yes, I agree it could have been something with a bit more effect on their silhouettes. I thought they mentioned other geometry based customizing options like the Planetside 2 vehicles being a possibility though, so maybe there's that.

View Postaniviron, on 12 October 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

How do you know the only difference is rails when they haven't released images of the non-unique variants yet?

https://static.mwome.../shadowhawk.jpg

We're assuming the normal one will be that green one. Chances are good.

#19 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

The phoenix variants actually kinda suck. The cicada phoenix model is the 4x machine gun mech... awful.

#20 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 12 October 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

https://static.mwome.../shadowhawk.jpg

We're assuming the normal one will be that green one. Chances are good.

But it's hard to say without seeing. The shoulder ridges, for example, look bigger there, and I would guess that they'd probably be different on the in-game model too. So wait before raising a ruckus.

It's also a bit disingenuous to act as though all the mechs differ only because of that.

The Battlemaster gets geared shoulders, and the Locust gets bigger wings, just as a quick example. If that's not enough to satisfy your craving to be special and unique, well, tough. These images have existed since long before the chance to order stopped, so you knew what you were getting into. There's only so much that can differentiate them without changing gameplay balance, anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users