49 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

Aesthetically, the Locust cockpit looks great from both the inside and the outside. But for a light mech that relies on speed, constant torso twisting and scouting, the design is just a huge problem. I find myself constantly using 1.5x or 3.0x zoom, to avoid all the clutter, which is like playing soccer with a pair of binoculars attached. And if you play at 1.0x zoom, it's like scouting with this helmet on.

It's just so ironic that the cockpit of all the assault mechs give a beautiful, clear, panorama view of the battlefield with little or no obstruction. The Locust cockpit looks how I'd expect an assault mech cockpit to look like - protection over visibility.

There must be something that can be done with the FOV or something.

#2 Trynn

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

I can understand your issue, However, from a flavour POV This is the way it is supposed to be, there is less space in a smaller mech so everyting is condensed. A larger mech typically has the suport structure andneed (re: more wepons and control needed to provide the extra space to provide a larger cockpit.

#3 GameMasterD

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 11 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt, Germany

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

same to me. i am not able to play this mech on 1x view. i have to zoom. so many times i just look at the cockpit instead of looking outside. it is like 50% cockpit on my screen

#4 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostTrynn, on 15 October 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

I can understand your issue, However, from a flavour POV This is the way it is supposed to be, there is less space in a smaller mech so everyting is condensed. A larger mech typically has the suport structure andneed (re: more wepons and control needed to provide the extra space to provide a larger cockpit.

That shouldn't effect the cockpit view.

#5 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

I think it would be worlds better if the external rollcage was removed. You have a double vertical post right in front of you that make it like you are staring down a tunnel. The limited visibilty is a hindrance, but I can see the point of everything being condensed because it is so small. No way would I fit in that cockpit IRL.

#6 GameMasterD

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

normaly i should see more in this cockpit because i am sitting directly in front of the windows. thats why we can not see our legs =D

it should not be necessary to have such a fully loaded view

#7 Darkwolven

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostGameMasterD, on 15 October 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

normaly i should see more in this cockpit because i am sitting directly in front of the windows. thats why we can not see our legs =D

it should not be necessary to have such a fully loaded view

I'm not a light pilot, but I kind of agree. Smaller cars for instance where you are closer to the windshield cause you to see more of the area outside of your vehicle, not less. Sorry Trynn, but your reasoning is bogus and also contradicts real world physics. You would need a BIGGER cockpit to see more of the interior, not LESS.

#8 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

It looks cool, and feels claustrophobic, forcing you to look that little bit harder and loose peripheral vision.... just as planned! :)

More of the smaller mechs should be like this.

#9 GameMasterD

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

i am note able to play this cockpit without zoom ... i got a mech which explodes after one good hit but i can not see the battlefield?!? hmm ....

and now i ve got 3 of them =D

#10 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

The size of the cockpit isn't really that important. What's more important is how close you're sitting to the window. A motorcycle helmet is pretty small, but because your eyes are close to the glass, you can still see a lot. In other words, if the Locust pilot is sitting closer to the window, he'll see more. Right now, it feels like I'm a Mexican driving my lowrider, my carseat pulled so far back that I can barely touch the pedals.

What's up, homes?

#11 Mazgazine1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

Yeah it definitely needs to be changed, there is a lot of stuff obscuring the view.

#12 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

use a higher FOV, people report that helps

#13 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

The locust cockpit needs to adjustments.

1) The roll cage needs to be removed.

2) The seat and controls needs to be push slightly forward and lowered.

As it is right now, the view from the locust's seat is as if I am sitting in the back seat looking over the front seat.

#14 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostTrynn, on 15 October 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

I love the cockpit. you have a SUNROOF of glass! it's like an old chevy!

great flavour on this cockpit, feels very small and cramped.

#15 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

That cockpit is really not eye friendly. Its painfull to play.

Edit:
Looks like its only the Phoenix Variant that is causing it.

Edited by Wieland, 16 October 2013 - 12:16 AM.

#16 Taelon Zero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

Pheonix locust cockpit is bad, needs to atleast be made the same as other variants.

#17 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:45 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 15 October 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

I love the cockpit. you have a SUNROOF of glass! it's like an old chevy!

great flavour on this cockpit, feels very small and cramped.

B)
lol colonel pada vinson.

people give feedback (which in this locust case they are absolutely right) and as always, our dear colonel explains very nicely how we are whining trolls and how PGI is doing outstanding work. :wacko: :huh: . keep it up colonel.

#18 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:48 AM

See, now you know why 3PV is in the game. Use it.

#19 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 16 October 2013 - 12:45 AM, said:

how we are whining trolls and how PGI is doing outstanding work.

Your words..not mine.

#20 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:12 AM

Smaller cars for instance where you are closer to the windshield cause you to see more of the area outside of your vehicle, not less

Not *really* a valid point since it's all down to the design, not the size of a car/Mech. Best example is *any* type of small/compact car of today. With A-/B-/C-pillars being as thick as they are today and with crash-regulations practically demanding a certain shape of hood/bonnet, modern small cars are some of the worst cars to look out of IMO. My Golf VI for example is a nightmare in this respect - especially its rear-view.

And some of the best views I've had out of cars were in bigger, but older designs. Drove a friend's 1960 Cadillac Coupe DeVille once (*huge* car) and that thing was surprisingly easy to see out of (panoramic windscreen, tail-fins and "markers" on the front fenders). Or any old big BMWs from the 60s/70s.. those things were glass-houses compared to today's BMWs of the same class.

But all that aside (and sorry bout the semi-hi-jack): I don't think the Locust has the worst cockpit of the new Mechs. That has got to be the Shadow Hawk. A problem which is even made worse when you mount a bigger AC on its left shoulder. This is what came to my mind when I took it for the first spin:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The question on my mind is: Why not include some sort of side windows when you have to redesign the Mech anyway? In RL, who in their right mind would ever approve a design that reduces the pilot's SA in such a dramatic way and for no apparent reason?

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 16 October 2013 - 01:23 AM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users