The Locust Cockpit

58 replies to this topic

#21 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:07 AM

im not saying to make the cockpit BIGGER im saying to just make the support bars for the cockpit SMALLER

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 October 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

Posted Image

It's a prison.

remove a few of those support bars and the two main side ones reduce them to about 1/2 the thickness.

heck the things already a death trap just give me a flat plate of glass like a normal window.

Edited by Ph30nix, 16 October 2013 - 04:25 AM.

#22 Ironclaw1

• PipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSpring Lake, MI

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:27 AM

Move the external frame to line up with the bars of the windows frame (or change the windows). No loss, no biggie, but it would clears half my viewfinder of unnecessary clutter.

#23 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:48 AM

Yeah, it's almost impossible to have any kind of peripheral vision (and therefore battlefield awareness) in that cockpit; you have to swivel your torso around constantly and you still miss things.

I too think the bars need reducing about 50%, especially the big side "walls" and the overhead "geegaws and doohickeys" bar.

I found yesterday that zooming one step improves the view out of the cockpit tremendously, but it also reduces your peripheral vision even more...

Edited by stjobe, 16 October 2013 - 05:49 AM.

#24 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

View PostPh30nix, on 15 October 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

ya know given PGI track record wouldnt put it past them for that to be their goal ...

Posted Image

View Postoldradagast, on 16 October 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

It is rather silly that a fragile mech that depends on situational awareness to live has the worst cockpit visibility in the game. But, hey - play 3vp and buy more mechs... I really can't believe this was an accident, anymore than the latest in oversized mediums (Shadowhawk.)

Posted Image

#25 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

Going to have to agree. This cockpit needs revamping. I am not sure what "glass" they are using in 3050 but by then optical sapphire or even diamond sounds logical. THis cockpit just needs a couple bars so the vision is WAY better. I try to play only in 1pv but in the middle of a lite brawl its almost suicide.

Unless PGI really intends to force people to play in 3PV?

#26 IceCase88

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 689 posts
  • LocationDenzien of K-Town

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

The cockpit view is pretty bad. It is like sitting in the back row of a movie theater watching a 13 inch screen. I have to play it at 1.5x zoom to make it better.

#27 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

The cockpit is cramped and there are bars all over the place....BUT...I like it. Can't tell you why, but it feels appropriate.

#28 Steelgrave

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

To me it's the tie-fighter of light mechs. Which I like.

#29 Elwood Blues

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

I like it too. It makes me feel like I had to climb into a small hatch into a seat that barely fits in the mech. A 20 ton mech should feel a little claustrophobic. The vision is a little obscured but it helps with the immersion.

#30 CrimsonOdyssey

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

20 pieces of glass for 1 cockpit.... nice work PGI...

#31 Matthoos

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

At first it was odd for me to get into that tiny cockpit.
But after playing around with the mech and getting used to it, I find it suits its small stature and I actually like it,
Makes it a more fun and challenging game while piloting the smallest mech in the game!

#32 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 October 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

Posted Image

It's a prison.

Posted Image

Just like real life. :D

Prepare for Immersion.

#33 Katus

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationTucson AZ

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Generally I am finding the 1V(P) unsatisfying. The points made about the size of the cockpit are valid, the Locust is a small 'Mech so SHOULD have a small cockpit, but the idea of reducing the size of the support struts is a good one in my mind.

I prefer Light and Medium 'Mechs as they suit my play style, what I hate is that they require you to buy external heat sinks for the light engines. I know this subject has been addressed before for game balance, but it really drives me nuts that I have spend 4 tons extra on my 170XL when in Battletech cannon all fusion engines come with 10 inbuilt heat sinks. Those 4 tons could be much better spent on things that would make the Locust a superlative Scout and Capper, rather than a mediocre 'Mech and a wonderful target. As it stands now the Locust is just a flimsy copy of the Commando with few of the virtues of the Commando or Spider and all of the vices.

#34 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostSyllogy, on 16 October 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

Just like real life. :D

Prepare for Immersion.

in real life you spend alot more time looking at those monitors and THAT cockpit has far more field of vision then the locust.

also i understand the whole cramped cockpit but

Cramped =/= NO FIELD OF VISION

you can be cramped in a complete glass box. There is no reason we shouldnt be able to see with a reasonable ammount of unubstructed vision.

Edited by Ph30nix, 16 October 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#35 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Please vent your frustration in this Patch feedback thread. Thank you!

Posted Image

#36 ChuChuRo

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

OP is right. Why would they put all that Junk in my field of view but give me a huge sun roof above? I don't need the tan, I'd rather have vision. There's no logical explanation, no matter how hard some of you guys are trying to find one.

The mech is already hard to play without any JJ, ECM and being squishy as hell. Why do they try to give those who still dare to run this mech an even harder time by impairing their vision to such an extent?

#37 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostChuChuRo, on 16 October 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

OP is right. Why would they put all that Junk in my field of view but give me a huge sun roof above? I don't need the tan, I'd rather have vision. There's no logical explanation, no matter how hard some of you guys are trying to find one.

The mech is already hard to play without any JJ, ECM and being squishy as hell. Why do they try to give those who still dare to run this mech an even harder time by impairing their vision to such an extent?

coz they are bein a bunch of richards that think they are cool and they so are not cool at all

#38 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

In my opinion, we could do without these:

Posted Image

Which would look like this:

Posted Image

Edited by TygerLily, 16 October 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#39 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

You guys ever see pictures of the U.S. Border Patrol vehicles that drive the southern border? It kind of reminds me of those.

Maybe PGI is going to offer a new game mode?

Repel the Invaders?

And the extra bars keep the rock throwers from hurting you in your little Locust?

#40 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostMasterrix, on 16 October 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

Thats all part of PGIs masterplan:

why do u expect that Locust's cockpit should offer any kind of "view"

this mech was constructed by PGI to suck hard, like the other Phoenixes

This is actually the design principal for all mechs in battletech. Mechs are designed to be almost perfect, but not quite. Every mech is intentionally given one or more flaws to cripple it in some way.

The reason being, if they ever designed the perfect mech, then no one would ever need to buy another mech ever again.

That is why the most efficient mech designs, such as the Gausszilla, were never released.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users