ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

OK; so first, to address the QQ.

It IS too tall. Quickdraw tall, as it were. And to make it worse, losing the Autocannon leaves the housing, aka ¨the Hunch¨.

What does it mean? So far, absolutely nothing. My SHD-5M has been ridiculously tough, with nothing unlocked and only changes being dropping the LRM for more SRMs and ammo. (Oh, did upgrade my Medium to a large). The thing is decently fast stock, mobile, and the size and hunch have had zero impact on my survivability, even with the stock XL engine.

What has your findings been?

#2 JKohn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationKouvola, Finland, FRR

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Well it's only 5t heavier than Hunchback and ridicilously more clumsy. I basically can have the same armament (tonnage wise) and same armour but the Hunchback is like a ninja in the night when comparing the manouvering. Well it does have JJ's, and I guess you get used to it.

Thunda bawlt is my first heavy and I must say I didnt even realize how clumsy they are, so if I ever thought that mediums are at disadvantage, not so much anymore. Seriously need to learn to play in that environment a bit differently, but Shadow Hawk? I didnt know it was heavy, I always considered it medium, sure does manouver like heavy compared to HBK at least (which I have been using almost exclusively).

Edit; Though I didnt consider the pilot tree buffs to movement, they might bring it closer to what I'm used to (are they that big however?).

Edited by JKohn, 15 October 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostJKohn, on 15 October 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

Well it's only 5t heavier than Hunchback and ridicilously more clumsy. I basically can have the same armament (tonnage wise) and same armour but the Hunchback is like a ninja in the night when comparing the manouvering. Well it does have JJ's, and I guess you get used to it.

Thunda bawlt is my first heavy and I must say I didnt even realize how clumsy they are, so if I ever thought that mediums are at disadvantage, not so much anymore. Seriously need to learn to play in that environment a bit differently, but Shadow Hawk? I didnt know it was heavy, I always considered it medium, sure does manouver like heavy compared to HBK at least (which I have been using almost exclusively).

which is the problem. That means your HBK has probably been unlocked for quite some time, and you are used to that. The SHD will also be a LOT more limber once all the pilot efficiencies are unlocked. I don´t think it will be as nimble as the Hunchy though.

#4 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

I've been ****** face in mine, built around 3 ac2s ;) The fact that I don't have many basics unlocked yet and it's still reasonably manouverable means it will be absolutely wicked mastered. Of course, I rarely pilot mediums so the matchmaker is probably being rather kind!

Edited by RickySpanish, 15 October 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#5 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

It's as big as a highlander.

RIP.

#6 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

If Vassago was ever happy about anything I would be surprised.

#7 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostDavers, on 15 October 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

If Vassago was ever happy about anything I would be surprised.

That's not fair, he's happy about things sometimes. I can't remember the last time I saw it, but I know I have at some point.

#8 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

I looked over the head of a Jager in my SHD and used him as a shield as I fired over him... So... yeah... tall... I cannot call him 'big' as last time I said that in a game everyone came at me for it 'they are tall and thin'... x.X I don't get that... They aren't 'super wide', but 'thin' I don't get. Certainly wider than a cent... Even so they are ok with XLs...

However I tossed myself into the Tbolt to compare movement and tossed a 250 or 255 engine in each. The tbolt actually accelerates and decelerates quicker than the SHD... x.X They turn nearly identically... They tbolts arms seem faster... And remember I haven't unlocked anything more than cool running and heat cap increase on either before testing... So... yeah... something is seriously wrong with SHD movement.

I also didn't see any real durability in my SHDs... It is so darn easy to die... Especially with all the tbolts and BMs running around...

#9 Bobdolemite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMariana Trench

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

I have had success with the shadowhawk (P) 3 AC-2's - For a medium it is pretty tough, and the ac'2's punish the many XL filled torsos around with ease. Havent played more than just a handful of games though so far I am liking it, thinking of dropping a ac2 and a ton of ammo for an ERPPC or a LL.

(Plays kinda like a stronger blackjack IMO)

Edited by Bobdolemite, 15 October 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#10 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

It's tall, I'm not a fan of that. Mostly because it sets precedent for the Griffin and the Wolverine which are going to have issues if they continue the trend.

CT is a LOT bigger than I expected. How big will take a few minutes of someone's time.

#11 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 15 October 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

It's tall, I'm not a fan of that. Mostly because it sets precedent for the Griffin and the Wolverine which are going to have issues if they continue the trend.

CT is a LOT bigger than I expected. How big will take a few minutes of someone's time.

Which will be very sad, since those Mechs have even less weapons.

Does everyone remember the days of small Medium Mechs in MW4? Ah man, I loved Mediums then...

Edited by General Taskeen, 15 October 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#12 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

I'll start of with this: I love my Shadow Hawk.

That said, it's stupidly tall, and it really should be able to have up to 5 JJs.

I ran my first two matches stock and did about 150 damage in each of them, running out of AC/5 ammo each time. Then I upgraded it with the usual refinements. Right now I'm running it with an XL 300, AC/10, ER LL and 3xSRM2s.

So far I've played 22 matches in the thing. 13 wins, 9 losses. 25 kills, 16 deaths with about 6,000 damage dealt. It works well with an XL. Had enough tonnage and speed to boss lights around and yet enough armament to be able to hang back and put some damage on the bigger mechs at range...it should just be a lot smaller.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 October 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

It's as big as a highlander.

RIP.

Vassago IRL
Posted Image

#14 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

I'd say give it more than 1 day before you decide if the QQ is right or not. Right now there are four locusts in every match I'm dropping in, so I wouldn't say that today is exactly representative of how most matches will play out in the future.

#15 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 October 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Vassago IRL
Posted Image

Nah, this is me.

Posted Image

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 October 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

Nah, this is me.

Posted Image

lolz. OK, I like it.

#17 Akaraut

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

Put a XL 360 engine in the hero variant, er LL, 3 SSRMs, 3 MGs and i'm having a blast. The only thing is that the 3 MGs blind your left side when firing.

#18 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 October 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

OK; so first, to address the QQ.

It IS too tall. Quickdraw tall, as it were. And to make it worse, losing the Autocannon leaves the housing, aka ¨the Hunch¨.

What does it mean? So far, absolutely nothing. My SHD-5M has been ridiculously tough, with nothing unlocked and only changes being dropping the LRM for more SRMs and ammo. (Oh, did upgrade my Medium to a large). The thing is decently fast stock, mobile, and the size and hunch have had zero impact on my survivability, even with the stock XL engine.

The 2D2 makes a nice substitute for the Kintaro-18, just traded 1 streak for 3jj:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bc4f1733aef49c5

edit: I dub thee the StreakHawk

Edited by Johnny Reb, 15 October 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#19 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

I have already seen the Streakhawk already. It's a more powerful version of the Streaktaro in the sense that you have JJs to catch up to your opponents in addition to the high engine cap.

Streaks are like the equivalent of a "slum dunk".

Since the ShaqHawk is tall, this is truly a layup.

If only he could make free throws....

Edited by Deathlike, 15 October 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#20 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 October 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

Well didn't do as well against yours though with some minor tweaks to the 2H (dropping LRMs for an SRM6) it really doesn't feel to bad. Took some getting used to, not sure if that's the height or what. We'll have to see as it goes on but it does seem playable, even if it looks a bit odd next to anything else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users