51 replies to this topic

#41 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

A brawler it is not.

Seemed to work fine for me so long as a buddy had the enemy's attention and I skedaddled when the guns turned on me.

Folded like lawn chair if I tried to stand and fight.

Definitely XL friendly - every death so far has been CT cored with armor left on side torsos.

Do think it could be a touch smaller, particularly as it seems most friendly to lighter weapon loads and higher top speed.

Edited by Kraven Kor, 16 October 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#42 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

So far I'm loving my Shadow Hawks. Now, for the past couple of weeks I've been grinding Orions, so it feels remarkably agile to me (unlike many players who it seems went to it from mechs they'd already mastered). I keep it at medium-long range and plink away at mechs that other people are already hitting with my little LRM and AC/5, use the jump jets and speed quite a bit to disengage if someone notices me, and only use the medium laser and SSRM2 if some lights start harassing me or I run out of ammo for my main weapons.
The mech is tall, but look at how skinny it is compared to all of the other mechs. It's proportioned like one of those wooden models people use for art class whereas the Thunderbolt is shaped more like a cement block. I've only played for a couple of hours since getting Phoenix, but I certainly haven't been having trouble with survivability.

That being said, the Thunderbolt is my least favorite so far and it's the one I've been using the most because of it. Too many different weapon types for my liking and that huge LRM rack gets the side torso blown off in a heartbeat. So I've been toying around quite a bit to find a build that's to my liking.

#43 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

I'm not so much surprised as to how tall the SHD is but more surprised how short the TDR is.
Even so, I can admit when I'm wrong. I was wrong! The SHD is too damn tall! LOL.

Feeling like VR at the bar... Can I have my Phoenix mechs now?

#44 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

It is tall. Haven't tried it yet, but the ones I've been shooting at have been pretty durable. I probably won't get to those until this weekend. Probably gonna finish mastering my Thud 5S then work on Battlemasters after.

Once I'm done with those the Shadowhawk should feel like a nimble little dancer flying about in comparison.

#45 KharnZor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

I haven't been able to come up with a viable ballistic build for my play style yet :D so I've been running a 2D2 with 2 ML, 2asrm6 and 2 streaks with a 340xl engine. Had some horror games to begin with but I'm getting used to it. I think my problem is that i've piloted a Victor almost exclusively since it was released and due to the SHD's height and the fact that they both jump i keep forgetting what i'm piloting lol

#46 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostKharnZor, on 16 October 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

I haven't been able to come up with a viable ballistic build for my play style yet :D so I've been running a 2D2 with 2 ML, 2asrm6 and 2 streaks with a 340xl engine. Had some horror games to begin with but I'm getting used to it. I think my problem is that i've piloted a Victor almost exclusively since it was released and due to the SHD's height and the fact that they both jump i keep forgetting what i'm piloting lol

I do tend to prefer higher alphas too, so i have to remember I can´t hang on like a pitbull, but have to let go and sometimes let teammates get the kill.

#47 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 October 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

I do tend to prefer higher alphas too, so i have to remember I can´t hang on like a pitbull, but have to let go and sometimes let teammates get the kill.

I did that this morning in my YLW. 700+ match, 2 70% dead opponents left and I just couldn't help going in for more bites.
Derp.

#48 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

The reason I like this mech is probably because it is a mix of two of my all time favorites - Centurion and Cataphract 3D. Torso ballistics, torso SRMs, lazor in the hands and jumpjets. I just have to master these things to be really effective. After mastering I think the torso twisting action will spread damage around alot better to justify STD builds.

#49 MayGay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 304 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostJKohn, on 15 October 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

Well it's only 5t heavier than Hunchback and ridicilously more clumsy. I basically can have the same armament (tonnage wise) and same armour but the Hunchback is like a ninja in the night when comparing the manouvering. Well it does have JJ's, and I guess you get used to it.

Thunda bawlt is my first heavy and I must say I didnt even realize how clumsy they are, so if I ever thought that mediums are at disadvantage, not so much anymore. Seriously need to learn to play in that environment a bit differently, but Shadow Hawk? I didnt know it was heavy, I always considered it medium, sure does manouver like heavy compared to HBK at least (which I have been using almost exclusively).

Edit; Though I didnt consider the pilot tree buffs to movement, they might bring it closer to what I'm used to (are they that big however?).

Shadow Hawk is a medium
10-35 is a light (standard min is 20)
40-55 is medium
60-75 is heavy
75-100 is assault
105 and up is super heavy and only exist in Wiz Kids imagination

The SHD is my favourite of the bunch (my TT 5D has not been killed and has several assault 'mech kills)
I also have a very soft spot for the BattleMaster
My most successful has been the thunderbolt so far, the 5S is very versatile and the other 2 are great flasbulbs
And while I have had fun with the Locust, I still prefer a Jenner or would live a Wolfhound

#50 Lootee

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'm sure it's an upgrade compared to my poor Trebuchets.

I'll be buying one with C-bills whenever they come out.

Edited by PanchoTortilla, 16 October 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#51 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:13 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 October 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

It IS too tall. Quickdraw tall, as it were. And to make it worse, losing the Autocannon leaves the housing, aka ¨the Hunch¨.

What does it mean? So far, absolutely nothing. My SHD-5M has been ridiculously tough,

Having finally gotten few games in it, it really is too tall, but that is THE charm of it.
Some might qq about weight/height ratio... but in this case I think they made a good call. Ahh the joy of shooting over the shoulders of other mechs with your tri-ac2 or being able to keep your privates behind hangars in river city and still raining lead on people a kilometer away.

Only thing which I might dislike a bit is that beyond being tall, of the PP mechs it is the one least distinctive (Hunch saves it) But otherwise, we've definately gotten some fairly distinctive mechs with PP

Also, wasn't the end of match screen supposed to change? If it did, I haven't spotted the pixel that was changed.

Anyways, good stuff. PGI knows their way around mechs.

Edited by Haakon Magnusson, 17 October 2013 - 04:14 AM.

#52 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

Absolutely fell in love with it. Even without any perks the Shadowhawk is agile, survivable and packs a hell of a punch. It surpasses the Hunchback easily in means of survivability.
As long as HSR for SRMs isn't fixed, I recommend to center every loadout around the ballistics and energy hardpoints, maybe additionally packing some SSRMs. XLs work pretty fine, the left arm is a damn good shield and should be used as one. And don't even think about leaving the JJs out, it's its biggest advantage.
Once tonnage restrictions are in, this will be the medium of choice for every competitive team, no doubt about it.
That said, it's a bit too tall and the CT is a bullet magnet and should be tweaked a little.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users