Why Does Nobody Listen In Pugs? I Can't Win Any Game Because Of Other People!

96 replies to this topic

#81 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:22 PM

When I drop open (Pug) arena the odds are adjusted as follows:
(1) v (12) Myself against (12) enemy Players in addition to (11) Neutrual players who will most likely FF their own company more than the enemy. :D

#82 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

View PostAbisha, on 19 December 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

must be your playstyle.

in PuG you go with the flow, you take kills, you give some kills
you comment cheap comments people will read and even chances acordingly.

like assault heading to center, (give most people reason to backup one)
other then that never assume you can take command of a PuG we not Unit.

Yeah pretty much.
Information > Commanding

#83 Rhaegor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:24 PM

Its not them, its you.

#84 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

i'm a pug and I kinda resent the insinuation of the thread title

not all pugs are created equally. When i sa the OP's "RTB" comment, i wondered, is he playing CW or playing in the pub queue, because if you're RTBing in CW games, something went seriously wrong with your team's strategy

#85 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

What slaughters most pug teams is their urge to constantly move to the worst positions ever, all the while stretching, to a point where 2 - 4 mechs fight alone against 6 - 12 mechs.

Some ppl are also fooled by the minimap. Just because the map shows your team in a more or less lose formation, pretty close together, that doesnt mean you can actually cover most of your team or vice versa. Sometimes you are actually pretty far away when it comes to los cover.

And suddenly 2 lights catch you behind a big boulder. Even though your so close itll take time to 'get back' to the group. A lot of times you are dead before you reach your team's cover. And pug ecms are basically all over the map, but theyre never where you really need them. They stand somewhere on the side, sniping with 2 medlasers at 5 double gauss jagers, dying instantly, their ecm completly wasted.

I always wonder why I get those kind of players. My elo must be abysmal even though i always considered myself to be the godfather of headshooting überplayers....bummer.

#86 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

View Postoneda, on 19 December 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

I always wonder why I get those kind of players. My elo must be abysmal even though i always considered myself to be the godfather of headshooting überplayers....bummer.

Here's the thing about Elo
It's not a good measure of individual skill because it's based on W/L ratio, not KDR. So you can got in and do 900 damage, get 5 kills, get 8 assists, etc. every single game, but if your team loses, your Elo isn't going to go up.

#87 MERC Mournblade

• PipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 91 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, I'm in a bit of ELO Hell at the moment. My W/L is negative, yet I'm consistently, day after day, losing about 8 games out of ten. It doesn't matter what mech or weight I take in, games end up with half (if not more) scoring less than 50 damage.

There is no carrying that. Not 10 deadweight mechs.

#88 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

Why don't PUGs listen? Because PUGs are generally PUGs precisely so they don't have to listen. Many of them have chat disabled. Most of them really, honestly would be on a single-player option so they can be the MWO Super Hero in their all-flamer-equipped assault Mech. Instead, they're your lancemate. GGclose.

A PUG is 12 solo players that may randomly choose the same direction. Or listen. Generally don't, because you're just one more stranger and who cares?

#89 F4T 4L

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostMERC Mournblade, on 19 December 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm in a bit of ELO Hell at the moment. My W/L is negative, yet I'm consistently, day after day, losing about 8 games out of ten. It doesn't matter what mech or weight I take in, games end up with half (if not more) scoring less than 50 damage.

There is no carrying that. Not 10 deadweight mechs.

W/L is negative?

How so?

#90 divinedisclaimer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

I'm thinking because they're deaf (and also everybody is mute) and lots of them are dumb, too. Including myself at times.

#91 MERC Mournblade

• PipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 91 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostF4T 4L, on 19 December 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

W/L is negative?

How so?

Just keep joining games that end up as losses. Not sure if I'm unlucky or its intentional as far as ELO is concerned. Losing a few games is okay, one can just shrug it off, but loss after loss all the time. My record was about 30 losses in a row (about four months ago).

#92 F4T 4L

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostMERC Mournblade, on 19 December 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

Just keep joining games that end up as losses. Not sure if I'm unlucky or its intentional as far as ELO is concerned. Losing a few games is okay, one can just shrug it off, but loss after loss all the time. My record was about 30 losses in a row (about four months ago).

Understood.

Don't see way way to wind up with a negative W/L ratio though.. /shrug.

#93 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostMERC Mournblade, on 19 December 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

You're taking your chances when you drop in solo queue. It really doesn't matter what your Elo is. The solo queue tends to be heavily populated by people who just want to play deathmatch arena and shoot stompy robots. You're simply not going to get a lot of coordination there on a regular basis. Elo is just a number to represent your relative skill level. You're then placed in a match with and against people within a similar Elo range.

If you really want more teamwork and such, I'd highly recommend checking out one of the public TS servers and find some pugs to drop with there. It's relatively easy and even if you're not going to use a mic yourself, you'll typically find players who are much more "team" oriented as opposed to solo oriented.

View Postwanderer, on 19 December 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

Why don't PUGs listen? Because PUGs are generally PUGs precisely so they don't have to listen. Many of them have chat disabled. Most of them really, honestly would be on a single-player option so they can be the MWO Super Hero

this is not 100% guaranteed, but you do tend to see more of this type of mentality in the solo queue

#94 Utilyan

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

In defense of the pugs.........

Premies ---> (◡‿◡✿)

Weenies. :lol:

#95 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:57 PM

I usually defend the PUGs but tonight in CW, the ones our small group got matched with were repeatedly terrible. I don't know what is so complicated about reading "Get back on defense before the next rush" and then executing that but it is apparently very hard for some to do.

#96 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

View PostGumbyC2C, on 19 December 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

I usually defend the PUGs but tonight in CW, the ones our small group got matched with were repeatedly terrible. I don't know what is so complicated about reading "Get back on defense before the next rush" and then executing that but it is apparently very hard for some to do.

It will get better. Some have to unlearn bad habits (well bad for CW anyhow) picked up in pub queue and 2 years of deathmatch. The others who have no desire to adapt will filter back to the pub queues.

I've been pretty lucky as a solo and pug.

#97 Utilyan

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

I always loved the pugs vs premade fights. It was like preps vs greases.

But I think now with CW and factions we need to take it to the next level.

Everyone knows Rasalhague pugs like to spam ppcs for no reason.

Liao pugs are good because in Liao if you get a TK they pay you a Bonus 50000 cbills. That's why our attacks are kinda slow because we got to get over the initial standoff when we land. :ph34r:

Edited by Utilyan, 19 December 2014 - 05:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users