166 replies to this topic

#1 AgentGG

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

After playing the shadowhawk for 8 straight hours I've landed on a build that routinely gets me over 500 damage and I peaked at 970 one round.

Smurfy Link

Overview of Setup:

Endosteel
3 Jumpjets
10 Double heatsinks
XL 300

3 SSRMS2 + 2 tons ammo
1 Med Pulse
AC10 + 4 tons of ammo

I fire my AC10 as much as I can, mixing in steaks and pulse when in range. When I'm accurate with my shots and manuver alot to stay alive, I achieve top marks in many of my games.

#2 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

I've seen a few AC/20 Shadowhawks. I haven't played one yet but I've ran with a few guys that have and they love it.

#3 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

Mine is similar, only normal SRM2s, 3 tons of AC/10 ammo and an ER LL.

#4 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMaple Ridge, B.C. , Canada

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

Well, now that I have more than gotten my feet wet - can't say I would recommend an XL in a Shadowhawk at all. At the very least, I wouldn't put one in a brawler build...live longer and prosper, standard is better in SHD, imho.

#5 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

I have a fairly effective UAC5 4 tons ammo, 3 SSRM2 3 tons ammo, 2 JJs, Std 260 engine, 10 SHS, BAP, Endo, 302 points of armor. Been working fairly well for me for most matches so far. Can't say I'll stay with it, but it's decent enough for the moment.

#6 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostRedwo1f, on 15 October 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

Well, now that I have more than gotten my feet wet - can't say I would recommend an XL in a Shadowhawk at all. At the very least, I wouldn't put one in a brawler build...live longer and prosper, standard is better in SHD, imho.

Yeah, that's the base with any real brawler though. They get bits blown off of them all the time. The Shadow Hawk isn't really a brawler though.

#7 AgentGG

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Almost every time I've died, I've been legged first. Jumping up and torso twisting spreads the damage out. The XL has not been a problem at all for me because in most cases, I'm dead anyway.

I'm usually not brawling with it either. I pefer to take constant shots at least 400m away. The streaks are great for hunting the abudance of Locusts that rush in foolishly.

Edited by AgentGG, 15 October 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#8 -CIBO-

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:58 AM

I have had 0 issues with an XL.

#9 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:02 AM

I'm running with XL300, DHS, ES, 4 SSRM2 w/2t ammo, BAP, 2 ML, 1 UAC5 w/4t ammo, 2 JJ. Can't say I'm winning games with it. It's enjoyable. The 4SSRM2 keeps lights off me and 2 ML means I can do some damage in a twisty firefight and the UAC5 means I can hit from afar (mainly annoy them). I can't say it's been as dominating as say the Hunch or Cent, but then again, this is only a few hours on from launch.

#10 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:07 AM

I've been running Hunchies and Jagers, so I always try avoiding XLs. I started with this yesterday: SHD-2D2. (well, actually I forgot about the missile slot in the head and had a larger engine).

I have nearly all basic skill unlocked after 6 games. I haven't been tweaking further, but it was very effective against both Locusts and Battlemasters. I can't really tell after 6 games, but average damage/game is now 420, 100 more than I usually get. This will probably drop.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 16 October 2013 - 03:13 AM.

#11 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:12 AM

I had no issues with XL, to my surprise. I think I almost always got cored out, but not before having both side torsos severely damaged.

Whatever they did with hitboxes, they did a great job.

Obviously, using anything smaller than AC10/LBX means the torso twisting is limited. But even then the mech feels more durable than STD engine Hunchback.

Edited by Kitane, 16 October 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#12 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

Its not very effective, but i love the look of a 3 AC2 Shadow Hawk :-) All three of the ACs lined up in a row like that is ridiculous, but cool :-)

#13 CenterMass

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 16 October 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

Its not very effective, but i love the look of a 3 AC2 Shadow Hawk :-) All three of the ACs lined up in a row like that is ridiculous, but cool :-)

And effective. One of the guys in my group has a shadow hawk set up like this and had an 1100 point damage game.

#14 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostCenterMass, on 16 October 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

And effective. One of the guys in my group has a shadow hawk set up like this and had an 1100 point damage game.

Do you know his whole setup? When I tried mine, it was an utter failure.

#15 Eldante

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

I have no issues with an xl as well. The shadowhawk is not meant for rolling alone... and if you do get into trouble or focused fire the std really isn't going to help much anyways. If you have problem's with using an xl then your probably too far away from your comrade's. The gauss rifle on shadowhawk's are alot of fun too!.

#16 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostEldante, on 16 October 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

I have no issues with an xl as well. The shadowhawk is not meant for rolling alone... and if you do get into trouble or focused fire the std really isn't going to help much anyways. If you have problem's with using an xl then your probably too far away from your comrade's. The gauss rifle on shadowhawk's are alot of fun too!.

I've been running Gauss in my 5M with AMS, full JJs, XL300, 4 tons of ammo and a pair of MLs. There's been 2-3 times where my Gauss Rifle was destroyed and then a couple seconds later I died due to it exploding, but them's the breaks. Given the position it makes a good sniper.

#17 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

I've been experimenting with mine, and found the UAC/5 tends to jam too much for me to use it as a primary weapon on this mech. I'm currently testing a Gauss Rifle/3xSSRM/ML build that hasn't preformed badly, but I also want to try a few other builds involving AC/10, LRMs, and a straight brawler build with triple MGs before I can figure out the best build for this mech.

The interesting thing is that it's hard to say how well any configuration will do once people get used to the designs. Right now, we've had an explosion of new mechs on the field, and people are fielding them with very different levels of modification. Once the situtation stablizes and those who prefer other mechs return to the ones they used to pilot, we'll have a better idea if a particular build is really viable or not.

#18 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 494 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 15 October 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

Mine is similar, only normal SRM2s, 3 tons of AC/10 ammo and an ER LL.

Mine is with streaks, 2 tons of AC/10 ammo and ER LL.

I love to run 5M with this Sniper build.

Edited by Samziel, 16 October 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#19 pencilboom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

looking forward to try this one out thanks!

#20 QuackAttack

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

I swung big on the engine just for fun and ended up loving it more then I thought.
[SHD-2H]: 3xMG, 3xSSRM, LLAS, 360XL, DHS, Endo 1JJ
And after my second match when I actually put Streak ammo in I had my second ever 100 score match, ran about 3-400 damage all night.
http://i.imgur.com/tVKrRzQ.jpg

Use that left arm as a shield and keep moving and the speed pays off for the XL

Edited by QuackAttack, 16 October 2013 - 09:34 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users