Raven2X/4X Engine Caps Still Too Low

22 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Andy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

Why were the engine caps for all the non ECM spiders and commandos increased to let them go 170+ kph but the cap for the Raven 4X and 2X only increased to 275?

The Raven 3L carries ECM and still has a larger engine cap and arguably the best hardpoints of the 3. If the 2X and 4X could carry a 300+ capacity engine that would make them more competitive.

#2 Xendojo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationThe Frequencies

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

The max engine on the RVN-3L is 295. Which i don't even use on my 3L, i run an XL280 and that gets me to 141.2 KPH with speed tweek.

The 2X and 4X max was 245, now 275....i fail to see a problem. A 275+speed tweek will get you to just under 140KPH.

Oh wait i see it now, you think all lights should be uber-fast. Sorry but that's just not the case.

I've been a raven pilot since the day they were released, and I see no reason why ravens should be as fast as commandos or spiders. This buff makes me incredibly happy! My RVN-4X was a beast before, now it's just that much better without being OP.

Face it dude, if ravens had the speed of spiders they would be OP as hell, not "more competitive".

#3 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

Why would they be OP? The 2X should at least have a 300+ to be better than the Jenner-K that is almost 100% better. The 4X OP? Oh my the 2MG 2ML 1SRM-4 huge legs of doom. I really think they should consider a (169KPH) engine for both of them.

#4 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

I can see why the 35-ton lights would be slower, but I have no idea why the 3L is faster than the other Ravens. Especially since they made the non-ECM Spiders faster than the 5D.

#5 Xendojo

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostICEFANG13, on 16 October 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Why would they be OP? The 2X should at least have a 300+ to be better than the Jenner-K that is almost 100% better. The 4X OP? Oh my the 2MG 2ML 1SRM-4 huge legs of doom. I really think they should consider a (169KPH) engine for both of them.

My 4X carries full JJ's, 2xLL and an SRM4 with a XL245.

Now with this buff, i lose the SRM4, and the one external HS that was required for the 245. So full JJ, 2xLL XL275, 127KPH+speed tweek = 139KPH with heat efficiency of 1.57, I can fire those large lasers all day. AND i'm fast enough to keep them on the faster lights legs.

Sure the spiders and commandos and locusts are faster, but not fast enough to get away from my 2xLL. And i can jump to follow the nifty aerial manuvers that spiders can do.

Yes, Ravens going just as fast as commandos or spiders would be OP.

#6 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

I agree. the other 2 ravens should have gotten engines up to 295, the 3L should have been curbed to a 280.

#7 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostXendojo, on 16 October 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

My 4X carries full JJ's, 2xLL and an SRM4 with a XL245.

Now with this buff, i lose the SRM4, and the one external HS that was required for the 245. So full JJ, 2xLL XL275, 127KPH+speed tweek = 139KPH with heat efficiency of 1.57, I can fire those large lasers all day. AND i'm fast enough to keep them on the faster lights legs.

Sure the spiders and commandos and locusts are faster, but not fast enough to get away from my 2xLL. And i can jump to follow the nifty aerial manuvers that spiders can do.

Yes, Ravens going just as fast as commandos or spiders would be OP.

Yeah everything you said it just a worse Jenner-K you know that right?

#8 Xendojo

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostICEFANG13, on 16 October 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Yeah everything you said it just a worse Jenner-K you know that right?

Why change the subject? We are not talking about jenners.

If a kick *** 4X is a worse K then so be it. I still like ravens better.

And my point still stands, you added absolutely nothing with that comment.
Ravens(and jenners for that matter) going as fast as commandos or spiders would be OP.

Edited by Xendojo, 16 October 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#9 Bad Andy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

If the 4X had a higher engine cap you wouldn't be able to carry the weight of 2 large lasers with that engine therefore there would be no OP build.

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

I think the caps are fine... I'd rather have the engine caps for the 2X/4X @ 280 instead (since it has the same tonnage as the 275).

To make a Raven-2X better, you would effectively have to give it JJs or some seriously useful quirk, because the Jenner-K will still be superior in terms of modules AND JJs.

I'm not sure how increasing the engine would magically make the 4X better, as the only tonnage saving ballistic is the MG and that balance is very dependent on that weapon. Every other weapon would eat into tonnage that would reduce your engine options...

Create a better reason or suggestion, but it's kinda hard to fix this outside of actually shrinking the leg hitboxes a bit, since that is still its main problem.

#11 Xendojo

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostBad Andy, on 16 October 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

If the 4X had a higher engine cap you wouldn't be able to carry the weight of 2 large lasers with that engine therefore there would be no OP build.

Even one LL is enough, that just gives you tonnage for secondary weapons. And iv'e already built one with XL275 and two LL.

Trying to say ravens would not be OP if they moved faster is just silly.

I think this buff put the 2X/4X into a good place. Not as fast as the lighter lights, but still faster than mediums(barring cicada).

#12 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Even if the Raven 4X had an XL340 engine, it still wouldn't be OP. What would you arm it with? 2 MLs, 1 Streak and 1 MG? Locust pilots would laugh in your face and steal your lunch money.

Raven 2X would still be a poor man's Jenner with XL300. It has no attributes making it interesting or a useful alternative to a Jenner.

If the Ravens weren't so pretty, I wouldn't be using any of them. The Jenner is much more fun to play. It's just too ugly for me to use.

#13 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

They should have at least matched the 3L, and reverted the legs to their pre-pre-HSR size. They still wouldn't be as good as the 3L, but they'd be closer.

#14 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostXendojo, on 16 October 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

Why change the subject? We are not talking about jenners.

If a kick *** 4X is a worse K then so be it. I still like ravens better.

And my point still stands, you added absolutely nothing with that comment.
Ravens(and jenners for that matter) going as fast as commandos or spiders would be OP.

I mean that the mech you are piloting is an inferior Jenner-K and I'd like the Raven-2X (and 4X, the weapons can be done on the 2X as well, but not the JJs) to be good mechs. I love the Raven's design, but its weaker still, has nothing of value, especially when leg hitboxes are usually the most targeted part on a light mech, and Raven's have the largest legs.

#15 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

I have a Raven with the old max engine (not upgrading it as it doesn't need it) that works very well, so don't dismiss the Raven 4X. It's got LRMs, 2 med lasers and 2 MGs. It's made to support at the start of the match, and end the match with MGs and lasers after armor has been breached. It's sometimes all in how it's set up and how it's played.

I feel that, in a group setting, my Raven 4x contributes more to a team than most Jenner Ks, but not everyone can hold themselves back with all that speed, instead using it to get themselves into trouble (sprinting off early and alone). This is completely up to preference, situation, play style and team dynamics/tactics. I believe that most any mech is viable under the right situation with the right loadout, and hopefully with the right skills.

View PostFelio, on 16 October 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

I can see why the 35-ton lights would be slower, but I have no idea why the 3L is faster than the other Ravens. Especially since they made the non-ECM Spiders faster than the 5D.

The Raven 3L is the newer design, with lots of improvements over the older 2X and 4X, made with new technology, larger engine housing, etc. It was almost a complete redesign of the Raven mech, and the 2X and 4X were reconfigurations of the original "prototype" used in the 3rd/4th (don't know which one exactly) succession war, which was tossed into the war with minimal testing and with an ECM that weight 7 tons...
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Raven

#16 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostTesunie, on 16 October 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

I have a Raven with the old max engine (not upgrading it as it doesn't need it) that works very well, so don't dismiss the Raven 4X. It's got LRMs, 2 med lasers and 2 MGs. It's made to support at the start of the match, and end the match with MGs and lasers after armor has been breached. It's sometimes all in how it's set up and how it's played.

I feel that, in a group setting, my Raven 4x contributes more to a team than most Jenner Ks, but not everyone can hold themselves back with all that speed, instead using it to get themselves into trouble (sprinting off early and alone). This is completely up to preference, situation, play style and team dynamics/tactics. I believe that most any mech is viable under the right situation with the right loadout, and hopefully with the right skills.

The Raven 3L is the newer design, with lots of improvements over the older 2X and 4X, made with new technology, larger engine housing, etc. It was almost a complete redesign of the Raven mech, and the 2X and 4X were reconfigurations of the original "prototype" used in the 3rd/4th (don't know which one exactly) succession war, which was tossed into the war with minimal testing and with an ECM that weight 7 tons...
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Raven

Your Raven-4X is using the advantages of the chassis, and cannot be improved on, although I'd say its not good, its what you like. The Raven-2X is still literally 99% worthless, and the 4X build he used was also 100% inferior to the Jenner-K

#17 Drasari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 368 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

They are OP because of ECM. I think the way the engine buffs were done even shows PGI knows it.

#18 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostICEFANG13, on 16 October 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Your Raven-4X is using the advantages of the chassis, and cannot be improved on, although I'd say its not good, its what you like. The Raven-2X is still literally 99% worthless, and the 4X build he used was also 100% inferior to the Jenner-K

Hey... 'worthless' now belongs no other mech but the Locust.
Wispy doesn't want to touch it with a stick and PEEF is getting smashed in it.. LOL.... :P

#19 Selbatrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 140 posts
  • LocationFRR

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

i've played Ravens before ecm went live and i thing the 4X just became awesome. i've not run the largest engine as with speed tweak i go fast enough at about 130. have yet to test the 2x. i'd agree letting them go to 280 would be nice but no deal breaker for me.

i personally prefer the 4x over the 3l cause i never got whining about OP in it.

i care zero for jenners (except Sarah's).

thanks for the engine buff pgi. you got something right there :unsure:

#20 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:28 AM

Guess what, the 3L can use XL280, ECM and 2xERLL and I've personally witnessed Aimrobot doing 1200 damage on Frozen city in that mech. He was shooting non-stop for the whole round, finishing off most of assaults on our team.

2X and 4X still hold no advantage over the 3L.

Edited by Kmieciu, 17 October 2013 - 04:28 AM.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users