Lazorz! How Do They Work?

51 replies to this topic

#41 nexus1g

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

View PostAym, on 24 October 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

If it's going to be derailed, we should talk about how one cannot own a thread they started on the interweb by it's very nature ;-)
Posted Image

Also I'd posit that we have in fact not answered the question, we are not sure HOW the damage is divided, OR if pulse lasers are worth taking ;-)

In my linguistically **** retentive way, I'd prefer to discuss how the possessive form of "it" is spelled "its".

Also, since I asked the question, I think I would be the local expert on whether or not it was answered.

#42 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:49 AM

Its god's question now ;-)

#43 nexus1g

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostAym, on 24 October 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Its god's question now ;-)

No god exists. */gettin' the serious trollface on now*

#44 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

View Postnexus1g, on 24 October 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

I'm not saying that anything is obvious; however, I don't make excuses for lazy thinkers or those who just wish to eke out some minimal victory by being willfully ignorant.

You missed my point (or I used the wrong quote :P)
What is logical and obvious to YOUR thought process is not necessarily obvious to others in any way shape or form - regardless of how much the think about it.

....Let me put it this way: Ghost Heat was apparently a logical (and by extension one that required their form of common sense) answer from the developer's perspective.
Just because they don't get it, does not mean they are being lazy in their thinking, it could well be that they are simply 'looking' a the thought from a different perspective

Ever seen the statue of David's face from strait on? the statue famed for it's beauty has a pretty ugly face ;) - because it was not meant to be viewed from that angle.
Thoughts and ideas are a lot like that: what seems obvious and "Common sense" to one, is redundant or stupid to another's.

Big point being: when you insult them or call the stupid, they lose all interest in trying to see it from your perspective.

#45 nexus1g

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 October 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

You missed my point (or I used the wrong quote :P)
What is logical and obvious to YOUR thought process is not necessarily obvious to others in any way shape or form - regardless of how much the think about it.

....Let me put it this way: Ghost Heat was apparently a logical (and by extension one that required their form of common sense) answer from the developer's perspective.
Just because they don't get it, does not mean they are being lazy in their thinking, it could well be that they are simply 'looking' a the thought from a different perspective

Ever seen the statue of David's face from strait on? the statue famed for it's beauty has a pretty ugly face ;) - because it was not meant to be viewed from that angle.
Thoughts and ideas are a lot like that: what seems obvious and "Common sense" to one, is redundant or stupid to another's.

Big point being: when you insult them or call the stupid, they lose all interest in trying to see it from your perspective.

Woah, back up a sec. I certainly didn't insult anyone or even treat them as stupid. I sincerely apologize if there was anything I said that came across as such, and it certainly wasn't intended. The intention was to lay out very neutral statements in a matter-of-fact kind of way.

Edit P.S.: Oh, and the statue of David is actually better straight on. I like the emotion on his face.

Edited by nexus1g, 24 October 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#46 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

View Postnexus1g, on 24 October 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

Woah, back up a sec. I certainly didn't insult anyone or even treat them as stupid. I sincerely apologize if there was anything I said that came across as such, and it certainly wasn't intended. The intention was to lay out very neutral statements in a matter-of-fact kind of way.

I can understand that re-reading, but:

View Postnexus1g, on 24 October 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

I'm not saying that anything is obvious; however, I don't make excuses for lazy thinkers or those who just wish to eke out some minimal victory by being willfully ignorant.

Came across as rather frustrated and pretty near getting ready to insult people (probably doesn't help that I was bouncing between the feedback forums - where people get really nasty ;))

Best of luck to ya!

#47 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

He called your mother ugly! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Edited by ManDaisy, 24 October 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#48 nexus1g

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 October 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

I can understand that re-reading, but:

Came across as rather frustrated and pretty near getting ready to insult people (probably doesn't help that I was bouncing between the feedback forums - where people get really nasty ;))

Best of luck to ya!

Ah, yes, you more or less squeezed that editorial from me with your postings. It's certainly not something I would normally portray in a civil argument, and something that wouldn't have been mentioned otherwise.

#49 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 24 October 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

He called your mother ugly! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Uhhhhhh.... wha? ;)

View Postnexus1g, on 24 October 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Ah, yes, you more or less squeezed that editorial from me with your postings. It's certainly not something I would normally portray in a civil argument, and something that wouldn't have been mentioned otherwise.

Hadn't meant to harass you, but your first post, by sheer dint of lack of support for your statement, left yourself open for those who argued with you.
I was just trying (and failing apparently :P) to point out that a blanket statement like your first one, WILL be argued with.

#50 nexus1g

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 October 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Uhhhhhh.... wha? :P

Hadn't meant to harass you, but your first post, by sheer dint of lack of support for your statement, left yourself open for those who argued with you.
I was just trying (and failing apparently :ph34r:) to point out that a blanket statement like your first one, WILL be argued with.

Ah, that. Well, I certainly don't have an inherent problem with people questioning my views and logic or arguing with their own views and logic. I had initially thought you were saying that people simply had not even a chance of understanding the point of view I presented. In that case, I think that if something so basic couldn't be grasped (though not necessarily agreed with), they're either being willfully ignorant just to eke out that small victory or arguing for the sake of arguing.

Huge misunderstanding here, too, then. Either way, you made good points, and I shouldn't have been so lazy as to not present the full argument with the first post.

Edit P.S.: If I'm to be painfully honest, I wasn't sure at the time if your posts were a little light-hearted "trolling" or not, so I responded a bit in kind just for fun. Alaska rocks btw. ;)

Edited by nexus1g, 24 October 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#51 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

View Postnexus1g, on 24 October 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

Huge misunderstanding here, too, then. Either way, you made good points, and I shouldn't have been so lazy as to not present the full argument with the first post.

No worries mate - my posts tend toward the awkwardly phrased more often than not (or the whole discussion would not have happened, no? ;))

Think of it like Chronojam's question for the last ATD - his shortened one was not bad - but since it relied on his longer one (which was really bad - involved stuff like removing headshots and legging completely) people got upset with the answer the Dev's gave - which was more of an answer to his longer post, not his shorter one.

So people got upset with the Devs' for 'not answering' :wacko: :unsure:

Your post, while sound, left just enough out to make it arguable. :P sorta like mine :ph34r:

#52 nexus1g

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 October 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

No worries mate - my posts tend toward the awkwardly phrased more often than not (or the whole discussion would not have happened, no? ;))

Think of it like Chronojam's question for the last ATD - his shortened one was not bad - but since it relied on his longer one (which was really bad - involved stuff like removing headshots and legging completely) people got upset with the answer the Dev's gave - which was more of an answer to his longer post, not his shorter one.

So people got upset with the Devs' for 'not answering' :wacko: :unsure:

Your post, while sound, left just enough out to make it arguable. :P sorta like mine :ph34r:

Ha. IIRC, I was pretty tired at the time and simply didn't feel like presenting the full argument. It kind of worked out for the better in an unexpected twist because his response gave a little more meat and better understanding of his position that helped pinpoint an argument for my side. It's kind of a weird quirk of mine, but I always prefer getting the other person to tip their hand in an argument before I commit to any details on mine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users