#21 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 20 October 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Do yourself a favour and only by XLs by every increment of 25, unless you don't mind spending millions and millions of C-Bills for an engine that are harder to work around than increments of 25, ie go 275 instead of 280. Unless you got like hundreds of millions of spare C-Bills, anyways.
Except a 280 weights the same as a 275, a 255 weighs as much as a 250, and I'm sure that trend continues on lower rated engines. So a 280 is better than a 275 in every way. (Talking All XLs here).

#22 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

View PostEumenes, on 19 October 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:

An urban / rough terrain brawler SE:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...859f8dd4b203781

I've enjoyed the dual PPC / 5ML TDR-5SS so far as well. It's a bit hot but that's what Thuds are all about. Why else have so many hardpoints? :huh:

This is what I use on my SE except switch LPL for ERPPC and move it to torso :D .
Awesome build.

#23 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 20 October 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Do yourself a favour and only by XLs by every increment of 25, unless you don't mind spending millions and millions of C-Bills for an engine that are harder to work around than increments of 25, ie go 275 instead of 280. Unless you got like hundreds of millions of spare C-Bills, anyways.

I'm actually going to say that you should never run an XL275 when you can run a 280 because they are the same weight. Same goes for XL255 over XL250. You might as well get all the speed you can.

#24 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostAsyres, on 20 October 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

280xl weighs the same as a 275, and 255 weighs the same as a 250. Doesn't happen with ratings over 300, but it's increasingly common as the engine rating goes down.

I mean, it's only a small speed increase, but every advantage helps, right?

You're right, but I still don't think its a good idea because what if you want to share that engine?

Lets just use that XL275 vs XL280. Here are the following mechs that don't make the cut-off:

-Raven-2X
-Raven-4X
-Centurion-A
-Centurion-AL
-Every single Hunchback (there's five)

So just at the moment there's nine mechs that can't run an XL280 that can run an XL275.

Just to stick with your Thunderbolt, lets say you want to raise it to XL315. Here are mechs that can fit an XL300 but not an XL315:

-Every single Jenner (three)
-The Hero Centurion Yen-Lo-Wang
-Awesome-8Q
-Awesome-8R
-Awesome-8T
-Awesome-8V
-Every single Stalker (six of them)

So there's fourteen mechs that can fit a 300 that can't fit a 315.

One final example. Every Highlander can mount an engine up to 325, with exception to the Heavy Metal, which can fit up to a 330. Would you pay 5.4 million C-Bills for an XL engine you can only use in one of your Highlanders that increases its speed by a mere .9 KPH while still chucking out 5.3 million C-Bills for a max engine all the others could use, or would you rather spend 5.3 million C-Bills for an engine that every one of your Highlanders can use?

If you have that one mech that will be your go-to mech that is perpetually on standby, then yeah, I understand if you're willing to spend so much for it, but spending that much on an engine that excludes it from being used on a whole bunch of other mechs when you don't even know if you'll stick to that loadout because the mech just came out a few days prior, it seems foolish. Unless you have hundreds of millions of spare C-Bills that you'd never be able to spend without dropping six million extra on every single mech you have regardless of whether you like it or not. Its not a matter of the 275 being better than the 280, because its not, its a matter of prioritizing those millions of C-Bills and the time it took you to get them over the fantastic less-than-one KPH increase you gain by bumping it up a little higher.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 21 October 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#25 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

I've been liking this version of the 9SE a lot. Some people might be tempted to remove more armor from the legs for an extra DHS, but if you are using the JJ to spread damage, then you are much more likely to lose a leg.

#26 Throbbinwood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

Right now I'm running a 5S with STD270, 16 DHS, 3LL, 1ERLL (arm), and 2 MG. Fun build!

#27 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostThrobbinwood, on 22 October 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Right now I'm running a 5S with STD270, 16 DHS, 3LL, 1ERLL (arm), and 2 MG. Fun build!

smurfy link? I just tried to throw that together and I can only fit the lasers and 13 dhs.

edit: nvm. forgot to remove the ammo in my legs and head....

Edited by Sug, 23 October 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#28 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 21 October 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

I'm actually going to say that you should never run an XL275 when you can run a 280 because they are the same weight. Same goes for XL255 over XL250. You might as well get all the speed you can.

Owning one already is a reason (I got an XL275 with the Shadowhawk 5M, don't have an XL280), and there are a few mechs were 275 is the cutoff, though most of those mechs you don't want an XL in anyway.

#29 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

TDR-5S which previously with AC10

or the SE (1 ton extra for JJ or DHS, depends on mood)

and this SS when i was broke upgrading the other phoenixes

#30 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

So with the 5SS I found a good amount of success running 5x MPLs, 1x ERLL, a STD 300 engine, 20 DHS and Endo-Steel. Its got weak legs, but nobody aims at those unless they're stripping you for C-Bills, in which case you're dead anyways.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...79c509e93d0adf1

The SE, I'm jumping between the only two I've been able to do decent in.

One runs an XL275 with 2x PPCs and 3x LLs. Keep your distance and you'll do fine, as long as you chainfire the LLs.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a219efa99c12f5c

The other is just 4x LLs and a STD 275, I'm sure I don't need to make a thing just to show that.

I really don't like the SE. Then again, I'm not much for JJs, and thats really the only thing it has going for it. It hasn't helped that about three-quarters of the matches I use it in are blowouts with my team being the loser. I really can't see any value in this particular variant, but only time will tell, I guess.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 23 October 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#31 Gelion

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSex Dungeon

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fedb464ab3835a4

Kept the same engine for simplicity's sake, otherwise I have found it to be heat neutral and quite good on the dps.

#32 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

I found the TDR to be terrible at short ranges and with small engines. With its huge size, it dies too quickly even if you run a STD instead of an XL. You want to take out targets FAST.

I go for a speedy, long range, high pinpoint alpha build like this
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7ca78db270ed75c

I basically hang back and snipe providing fire support and soften up targets. Let the Assaults tank and brawl, then do clean up duty.

I actually prefer the 5SS for this purpose with a 53 point alpha.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c0fcdb9e6826cd6

I've had an Atlas with red CT armor charge me and took it out with one alpha. Tore right through the remaining armor and internal structures.

#33 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

5ss with 2xERlarge, 5xMedlaser, 300std, 19dhs. It works for me. I use advanced zoom and advanced seismic. The seismic warns me of flankers while I'm sniping. Great combo. Second game in this much was 6 kills, 4 assists, 824 DMG rolling with one teammate.

#34 eblackthorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

Looking for some feedback on this build. ERPPC and ac/10 are primary weapons, med laser x3 are backup.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...45813e30e51edfe

#35 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

View Posteblackthorn, on 27 October 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

Looking for some feedback on this build. ERPPC and ac/10 are primary weapons, med laser x3 are backup.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...45813e30e51edfe

Shave off half a ton of armor, swap out the ERPPC for an LL, and you can stick a standard 300 in there. 9% better heat efficiency, and faster.

But it's not a bad build...

#36 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

I haven't quite gotten it here yet, but I'm liking this build (still thinking on if I actually want to keep the variant, so haven't gone Endo/DblSinks yet).

The Firepower and DPS are obviously skewed with a setup like this. You're obviously not going to be launching any 58pt alphas with LRMs and Med. Lasers. And it's not exactly meant to be a boat. The LRMs are for closing the distance. Even if only half of the missiles go through, the screen shake and the adrenaline spike that comes from being continuously bombarded with missiles is going to buy you the time to roflboom your target in the face with a full battery of Med. Lasers.

I'm sure there's more effective, but the sheer simplicity of the build is what I'm such a fan of.

#37 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostMercer Skye, on 29 October 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

I haven't quite gotten it here yet, but I'm liking this build (still thinking on if I actually want to keep the variant, so haven't gone Endo/DblSinks yet).

The Firepower and DPS are obviously skewed with a setup like this. You're obviously not going to be launching any 58pt alphas with LRMs and Med. Lasers. And it's not exactly meant to be a boat. The LRMs are for closing the distance. Even if only half of the missiles go through, the screen shake and the adrenaline spike that comes from being continuously bombarded with missiles is going to buy you the time to roflboom your target in the face with a full battery of Med. Lasers.

I'm sure there's more effective, but the sheer simplicity of the build is what I'm such a fan of.

I would drop the LRM20 down to an LRM10, as otherwise you get 2 volleys with that launcher. With the tonnage saved, you can go up to an standard 300, or at last a 275 and more HS or artemis.

I've found the 9SE rocks with 2 SRM6s, as it's mobile enough to flank very well.

#38 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Definitly my new favourite chassis. These are the builds I've been using as a 100% PUG player:

TDR-5S
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...efaeb10a7c3cdc3

TDR-5SS
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...36da1a51ff64c21
I know my 5S is 2 tons light but I didn't want to pay to remove the endo so I stuck a BAP in, not very usefull in this build though I do like the shortrange hardcounter to ECM.

TRD-9SE
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c38f285f5f1e5eb

#39 Enialis

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

I've found this -9SE build to be really fun: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...28af65474fdfd9a

It's basically a HBK-4SP w/ more armor and jump jets. The chasis can soak a lot of damage with the STD engine as well so it's pretty durable.

#40 Tarkh

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

I've enjoyed three variants of the TDR-5S

Long Range: The AC/5s and ERLL are perfect for the opening phases. The speed allows me to re-position and stay out of the line of fire. In close, I can alpha multiple times without overheating or just alternate fire. I'm not a great pilot, but 600 damage per match is the norm and the this is the best performer of the three.

Brawler 1: This version uses a standard engine, though I don't feel much of a difference b/t the two in a TDR. The AC/5s are switched out for an LBX for crit seeking.

Brawler 2: Ballistics switched out for two SRM-6 (A). Lots of close range firepower.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users